Bill Wright, Captain

danp

He is one of the very few American cruise ship captains. He is actually a Senior VP in charge of Marine Operations for RCL. I remember reading once a couple of years ago that he was born in Indiana... but could be wrong.

Definitely American!

If you go to RCI's website and click on Behind the Smiles, there's a brief Q & A there with Wright. When he's not sailing he's at his cabin in the Norwegian mountains. I thought he was Norwegian, immigrating from Norway to the US. Many of the Norwegian masters now live in Florida (don't flame me, I said 'many', I didn't say 'all').

Captain Bill is from S. Florida. I want to say Key West, but I may be wrong. He holds a Norwegian License because he attended mariner school (I'm sure it has a name other than mariner school, but you get my drift) in Norway. Captain Johnny referred to Captain Bill on our recent Mariner cruise as the only American Captain in the company, but then joked that he holds a Norwegian License, married a Norwegian girl, speaks fluent Norwegian, and has a house in Norway. I guess those Norwegians just know how to sail. :D

I've always heard Captain Rob Hempstead was American, but I guess not. Our Staff Captain on Serenade 2 years ago was American, but I can't recall meeting another ships officer not from Norway or Sweden.

I've heard that he is the only American captain in the company. On one of the travel channel videos (Building Freedom of the Seas, I think) he says that he lived in Norway for 20 years.

I could be wrong but that's what I think I remember!:D

• 8 years later...

I know he is an American. At one time at least he was the only one in the industry. I sailed with him years ago but last I knew he was the front office. Much to do with the building of new ships. He is unlike any captain we’ve ever sailed with. Great guy!!!

We happened to be on his last cruise with RCI in Oct. of 2012 in Australia. His bio stated that he joined Royal in 1992 as a Navigation Officer on Nordic Prince. He began his career at age 15, working during summer vacations as a deckhand on a commercial dive ship our of Nassau. He received his masters mariners license in Norway in 1991. He also sailed as the first master of Celebrity Expedition in the Galapagos, the first master of Freedom and the first master of Oasis. In 2012 he and his family lived on a small farm in the historical mountain village of Roros, Norway. It does not state where he was born but it was well known that he was American.

I know he is an American. At one time at least he was the only one in the industry. I sailed with him years ago but last I knew he was the front office. Much to do with the building of new ships. He is unlike any captain we’ve ever sailed with. Great guy!!!

holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

I also thought he was from Canada...at least originally.

I forget where he was from originally, but he spent many years in Norway, got marine training and went to college there, and I believe he may still live there.

Is this a record for a resurrected thread.

I don't know, think saw a one few months ago where a question was being answered from 2006. Been lot of this lately, not looking at dates and even when the answers have changed in last 10 yrs...

Met Capt Wright couple times, he use to bring out the new ships...YEARS AGO