Sea Sickness

So on my very first cruise ( March of 2009) I sailed Mariner Of The Sea's out of Los Angeles and did Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

This was my first cruise but figured I would be fine in terms of Sea Sickness because I don't get motion sickness ( I fly all the time and turbulence never bothers me)

However on this cruise there was 14 foot swells and I could REALLY feel the boat moving, even walking down the Prommenade. i got really sea sick and spent most of the first day laying in bed and not eating anything on the boat. By the time we reached Cabo the waters were calm however even when I got off the boat in Cabo I was still motion sick. People told me this is called "Land sickness" it happens after being on a moving boat for a while then being on land. It was bizare.

anyway, around day three i started feeling much better and I was on my way again.

I leave for a cruise this upcoming Sunday on Liberty Of The Sea's. I'm doing Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. My understanding is that the water is normally calm in this region so I shouldn't feel the boat move. However I'm a bit nervous I'm going to get sea sick again.

Do any of you have any suggestions on something I can do to lessen the discomfort? In Canada we have Gravol, a pill for motion sickness. I've taken it before and it knocks me out cold, puts me to sleep right away. I'd rather not take that because I'd like to be awake. :)

Someone told me to look at the horizon, fair enough but that's sometimes hard to do on the boat when you are in public area's.

I'd like to hear your idea's, and what some of you do (as im sure some frequent cruisers get sea sick sometimes?)

I had the same thing happen last year in the Med when the seas were as calm as glass. We've cruised many times before, often with rough seas and I've never been sea sick before. This was beyond nasty! :eek: Thankfully I managed to get myself down to the infirmary where the ship's doctor gave me two shots and a prescription. After a couple of hours I was good to go. But like most good things, it came with a price tag. :o Bonine usually does the trick but it is no longer available in Canada so I would suggest you either stop in a US drug store when you get to your point of departure to pick some up or contact your doctor beforehand and get something prescribed. Vaction time is too precious to waste any of it laid up.

2P.P1

I have to agree with wildernesslady. My wife used to suffer from sea sickness until someone told her about taking s/s medicine in advance. Now she starts taking Bonine two days before we sail and on the first day onboard, and has not had any symptons.

Unfortunatly we don't get Dramamine here in Canada. Atleast not in my part of Canada.

We have motion sickness pills that have Ginger in them. maybe I could take those.

Meclizine is another anti-nausea medication that might be available -- there could be some drowsiness - so try ahead of time....;)

We also use the Scopalamine patch, by prescription.

We put it on in the morning.

Boy it really makes your mouth dry.

It makes you drink alot of fluids, and we never had trouble with the sea sickness. Once we started using it.

Safe travels

You can't get meclizine in Canada.

2P.P1

Actually you can, at least in Ontario. I have seen both generic and branded (Bonamine) offerings. You should find a number of motion/nausea suppression medications on the same shelf in your local drug store. (In Toronto we also have Ginger pills and Gravol (Dramamine).)

You might want to check out http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/03vol29/acs-dcc-11/index.html There is a small table of drugs commonly available in Canada mid-way through. It's followed by a brief discussion of each of the drugs.

I suggest you ask the pharmacist for assistance. While you don't need to take their advice, they will know what options the store offers and if I recall correctly the patch has to be asked for.

Actually you can, at least in Ontario. I have seen both generic and branded (Bonamine) offerings. You should find a number of motion/nausea suppression medications on the same shelf in your local drug store. (In Toronto we also have Ginger pills and Gravol (Dramamine).)

You might want to check out http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/03vol29/acs-dcc-11/index.html There is a small table of drugs commonly available in Canada mid-way through. It's followed by a brief discussion of each of the drugs.

I suggest you ask the pharmacist for assistance. While you don't need to take their advice, they will know what options the store offers and if I recall correctly the patch has to be asked for.

I agree that it used to be available but when I went to Shoppers Drug Mart to get some for my last cruise I couldn't find it in it's usual place. When I asked the pharmacist, he said that it's been de-listed. Several other Canadians have posted the same thing on these boards.

2P.P1

I've only been sick from flying once and that was when I was first started learning aerobatics. That really surprised me.

Boats are a completely different story. I have been out scuba diving many many times in the waters off California in boats from 14' - 65'. Most of the time I feel fine until the boat stops moving. I have found that Scopolamine works like a champ. I'm not sure if it's still available. It used to require a presciption.

I have never taken anything on cruise ship and have never even felt bad.

I agree that it used to be available but when I went to Shoppers Drug Mart to get some for my last cruise I couldn't find it in it's usual place. When I asked the pharmacist, he said that it's been de-listed. Several other Canadians have posted the same thing on these boards.

2P.P1

Thanks for the info. I stopped using it a year ago because of extreme drowsiness. The patch worked well for me, but it's problematic in the shower and swimming. Ginger seems to be the best bet.

Wait until you get on the ship. You can get bonine (meclazine) for free either at Guest Relations or on deck #1 at the medical center. There is no need to start taking it days in advance. My wife has motion sickness issues. When we cruise, she takes one pill every morning and she has never had a problem, even in 30' seas.

We also use the Scopalamine patch, by prescription.

We put it on in the morning.

Boy it really makes your mouth dry.

It makes you drink alot of fluids, and we never had trouble with the sea sickness. Once we started using it.

Safe travels[/quote)

I started using half a patch several cruises ago (I cut them in half at home now that we can't take scissors on board). Now I don't get any of the side effects like dry mouth & dilated pupils or at least not enough to notice...& my prescription lasts twice as long!! Even with the 1/2 patch I still have no hint of seasickness; the 1/2 has worked (for me) just as well as the whole patch (& I can get sea sick even on a nice, smooth lake:).

Carol

I've always had problems with motion sickness. Until this last cruise

i relied on the patch. But the side effects were bothering me more and more. This last cruise I took 1 dramamine at night and a couple of ginger pills during the day and

i was nausea free.

Wait until you get on the ship. You can get bonine (meclazine) for free either at Guest Relations or on deck #1 at the medical center. There is no need to start taking it days in advance. My wife has motion sickness issues. When we cruise, she takes one pill every morning and she has never had a problem, even in 30' seas.

I always start the Bonine the night before I board the ship. I've found if I don't do that and the first day or two is rough I will get sick. I need to get it into my system before getting out on the water. I take one in the morning and one at night every day and it works great. Prior to finding Bonine I would get very seasick.

There are so many threads on sea sickness.

I start with Bonine or less drowsy Dramamine the night before and continue taking twice/day the entire cruise. I also take ginger 1-2 times per day. I would probably be fine on really calm days but you never know when the seas will change so I just take meds the entire cruise. I have no side effects and unless the seas are really bad, I dont' feel sick.

So many people have side effects with the patch. I wouldn't even consider it unless absolutely nothing else worked. There is a reason the patch is prescription only. You aren't really supposed to cut the patch in half. The patch has scopolamine which is what they used to give women in labor so they would forget it after the fact. It's an amnesiac. I like to remember my cruise lol. I know the dosage is different, but it is the same med.

I have actually found that there is one reason to start taking the pills before the cruise. The first day or two I take the bonine, it knocks me out too. So I begin a couple of nights before the cruise. By day one of the cruise, the bonine has no effect on me other than to keep me from getting seasick!!

Archived