Plane wreck at Coco Cay

LounVal

The snorkel excursion at Coco Cay mentions being able to snorkel around a plane wreck. If you have your own equipment do you still have to pay to enter the area the plane is in?

Been a while since we were there but, unless something has changed, the "plane wreck" is just off the beach about 100 yards and is easy to get to without any excursion required. You are required to use a snorkel vest which they have at the island for (I think) $5.

The plane wreck is actually just a collection of several different pieces of various planes that were placed in the bay but there were still quite a few fish around when I was last there.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a lifeguard tower out by the plane, they will send you back in if you do not have a snorkel vest on. We used our own equipment but rented snorkel vests. Anyone can use their own equipment but they enforce the wearing of snorkel vests.

Is this just by the plane? I cant imagine that the lifeguards would be checking every swimmer with googles or mask on the different beaches?

Is this just by the plane? I cant imagine that the lifeguards would be checking every swimmer with googles or mask on the different beaches?

No, it is not just by the plane that they require snorkel vests. There is also a part of a ship that is out to the right of the plane that people like to snorkel around. There are also areas to the left of the plane that are shallower and grassy that we saw fish.

I can't tell you exactly where you are required to wear a vest or not, it is up to the lifeguards to enforce the rules. If you are snorkelling, they require a snorkel vest. There are lifeguards on every beach that will tell you if you need a vest, we saw them call people in that were snorkelling without them. If you are just swimming with a mask or goggles, they shouldn't stop you.

I was ust there last weekend, and here is what i observed.

If you had a snorkel mask, snorkel & fins with no jacket they sent you back in to get a vest. I saw this with any or all of the equipment listed.

If you were out "playing" in the water with no equipment they left you alone to enjoy your day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am answering my own post here.

Its only in the snorkeling area where they have lifeguards where they enforce the vest rule.

We walked all the way to the ohter side of the island, and there were no people there exept a few persons also walking. I jumped in and snorkeled and saw a shark for the first time in my life! My heart doubled :eek: but it turned around faster than a torpedo and was out of sight in a split second.

But the snorkeling wasn't anything special in this area. Even though it was artificial it was better in the snorkeling area, I saw squid, octopus, stingrays and a lionfish there :D

Archived