Orient Express

thames_side

Planning a special holiday for 2011.

I see from the 2010 brochure they mention Orient Express to Venice for certain cruises. It says 1 to 6 nights. However I can find no details for the cruises mentioned. Has anybody taken one of these options and can give me some more information?

• 2 weeks later...
Planning a special holiday for 2011.

I see from the 2010 brochure they mention Orient Express to Venice for certain cruises. It says 1 to 6 nights. However I can find no details for the cruises mentioned. Has anybody taken one of these options and can give me some more information?

You may want to ask your TA for more details. The one KEY watch-out for the Orient Express train to Venice (and in Europe) is that the (public) toilets/wash-rooms are at the end of each carriage and NOT en-suite... I can highly recommend the Orient Express in Asia (Singapore to Bangkof for example), with all en-suite and a great experience all around.

For more details on the trains see

http://www.orient-express.com/collection/trains/trains.jsp

I remember doing the Orient Express from London to Venice way back in 1984 when they first restarted the luxury service. Yes, the showers and toilets are not en suite but it was still al lovely experience. However, the compartments are VERY small and my first reaction upon entering ours was "how did Agatha Christies ever get twelve people in here at once to stab the victim?"

it was the regular train service on some of the "Orient Express" route that ceased opeartion. The Venice-Simplon Orent Express (the very expensive luxury train) still operates. See this for the former:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2009/dec/13/for-the-record-orient-express-football-food

and this for the latter:

http://www.orient-express.com/web/vsoe/venice_simplon_orient_express.jsp

There is a wash basin plus lots of marquetry and elegant design. It's just small. Unlike the Royal Scotsman or Rovos Rail where the compartments are large enough to spend time in, on the Orient Express I spent all my time in the public lounges, not a bad place to be.

The accommodation on the Orient Express in Europe is very old fashioned. The bunk beds have to be folded down leaving nowhere to sit when the upper one is down. The basin is minute and there was only a lavatory at the end of the carriage we were in, no shower.

The other drawback is that, if the train is full, there are two sittings for dinner either at 6.30 p.m. or 9.00 p.m. The bar also gets very over-crowded.

On the plus side the service is very good!!

Archived