ques. re: luggage

sr5242

ok, I have a few questions for the experienced travelers. this is my first time cruising with my twin 7 yr old sons. it's just my folks, me and the kids, hubby has to work.

I was thinking of just bringing carryons. it is a 4 nite cruise. do you think we can bring 4 days of clothes in 3 carryons? including favorite stuffed animals (can't cruise with out Stinky the dog....), toys, ds's, etc.

If we do bring a regular size piece of luggage (checked bag), can I self-disembark with it, or would I need to check it and reclaim it at the port?

Last time I cruised was pre-kids, I feel like a novice, so any help is appreciated!

ok, I have a few questions for the experienced travelers. this is my first time cruising with my twin 7 yr old sons. it's just my folks, me and the kids, hubby has to work.

I was thinking of just bringing carryons. it is a 4 nite cruise. do you think we can bring 4 days of clothes in 3 carryons? including favorite stuffed animals (can't cruise with out Stinky the dog....), toys, ds's, etc.

If we do bring a regular size piece of luggage (checked bag), can I self-disembark with it, or would I need to check it and reclaim it at the port?

Last time I cruised was pre-kids, I feel like a novice, so any help is appreciated!

Yes, you can certainly self-disembark with a regular sized piece of luggage. The question is whether you can do it with two 7 year olds in tow.

And yes, you could it with three carryons - just don't forget Stinky the Dog!

I am picturing you........don't you need one hand for Seven Year Old #1 and one hand for Seven Year Old #2? How can you carry luggage, too?

We're doing the same type cruise with our daughter and 2 grandsons (4 and 22 months) in January, while husband is busy with tax season. I suggested doing what you want to do to my daughter since my wife could easily pack in our small roll ons that fit overhead for a 5 night cruise. She said she would gladly pay for the checked luggaged -- including ours -- to have our extra hands to help with the boys and the stroller, etc. Our daughter was also very excited to hear about the service on RCCL where you can check your luggage from the ship right onto your flight and never see it again until you get to your home airport. (I think Southwest is the only one that won't do this because the service includes checking you in for your flight and being assigned a seat if you don't already have one.) This makes leaving the ship very fast -- just grab a cab and head to airport, grab a Starbucks and wait for your plane! (Let Pop Pop chase the kids around the waiting area.)

We're doing the same type cruise with our daughter and 2 grandsons (4 and 22 months) in January, while husband is busy with tax season. I suggested doing what you want to do to my daughter since my wife could easily pack in our small roll ons that fit overhead for a 5 night cruise. She said she would gladly pay for the checked luggaged -- including ours -- to have our extra hands to help with the boys and the stroller, etc. Our daughter was also very excited to hear about the service on RCCL where you can check your luggage from the ship right onto your flight and never see it again until you get to your home airport. (I think Southwest is the only one that won't do this because the service includes checking you in for your flight and being assigned a seat if you don't already have one.) This makes leaving the ship very fast -- just grab a cab and head to airport, grab a Starbucks and wait for your plane! (Let Pop Pop chase the kids around the waiting area.)

OH- Please tell me more about checking luggage at the ship! We are disembarking in Miami, but our flight is in fort lauderdale- how would that work? also, we are taking a miami private tour before going to the airport, is we sent our luggage ahead- how long can it sit in the airport before we get there?

Just a note if you decide to do this. Most airlines will allow you a carryon, plus one personal item per person. This means you and both boys can have a carry on, plus the boys can each pack a bookbag or small similar bag with the "must have" items on the flight. The carry must go above, while the small bag can go under the seat in front of them and they will have easy access to ds's, books. stinky, etc.

And if they are used to a book bag for school, this is a easy bag for them to carry thru the airport

OH- Please tell me more about checking luggage at the ship! We are disembarking in Miami, but our flight is in fort lauderdale- how would that work? also, we are taking a miami private tour before going to the airport, is we sent our luggage ahead- how long can it sit in the airport before we get there?

You will get info about this onboard. I can't remember exactly what it is called but I'm sure someone will come up with it! You just give them your flight info, they provide you with luggage tags and printed information on your flight, seat assignments, etc. You put your bags out like normal the night before arriving back into port and pick them up at your home or final airport baggage check. There is a charge but it is minor compared to how easy this makes debarkation.

You will get info about this onboard. I can't remember exactly what it is called but I'm sure someone will come up with it! You just give them your flight info, they provide you with luggage tags and printed information on your flight, seat assignments, etc. You put your bags out like normal the night before arriving back into port and pick them up at your home or final airport baggage check. There is a charge but it is minor compared to how easy this makes debarkation.

It is very easy to do, and I believe is about $20/ person. Your flight must be after noon or 2 depending on which airport you are using to fly home.

I am sure your TA could obtain the up to date information.

It is very easy to do, and I believe is about $20/ person. Your flight must be after noon or 2 depending on which airport you are using to fly home.

I am sure your TA could obtain the up to date information.

we booked directly with RCI- could I call and ask them?

Which airline are you flying? The Luggage Express program does not provide service for Southwest.

Also, which port are you sailing from?

BTW, since your husband is not going, I would advise that you get a notarized letter from him that allows you to take your children out of the country. You may not need it, but we have had friends that were denied boarding on a Delta airline flight because they did not have a letter from the wife's ex husband to take her children out of the country. Technically it is required, but often no one asks to see it. Better safe than sorry.

I have no idea why so many people feel the need to carry their own luggage on or off a cruise ship. Especially with two little kids in tow! For the person who mentioned the boys handle their own luggage...are you kidding? It's rare to see a kid even handle their own backpacks at school, mom or dad usually does that for them at age 7.

Do it the easiest way possible. You will need plenty of clothing for the boys as they will get dirty and a 4 night cruise isn't enough time for having laundry done. Pack one large suitcase and have them each take a backpack, and you take a rolling carry on and your purse. You will probably spend a lot of time checking to make sure they still have their backpack and didn't leave in on the chair at the airport, or in the car, or on the airplane, or on the seat in the terminal, or left on the ship. You may very well end up having to handle the backpacks yourself.

Kids will leave anything not attached to their bodies. I work at a school and you should see the heaps of lunch boxes, backpacks and jackets collected every day.

Which airline are you flying? The Luggage Express program does not provide service for Southwest.

Also, which port are you sailing from?

BTW, since your husband is not going, I would advise that you get a notarized letter from him that allows you to take your children out of the country. You may not need it, but we have had friends that were denied boarding on a Delta airline flight because they did not have a letter from the wife's ex husband to take her children out of the country. Technically it is required, but often no one asks to see it. Better safe than sorry.

This is especially important if you kept your maiden name and your children have your husband's last name. Again, they may not check but better safe than sorry.

Archived