Name on Passport Question

happylady

I just skimmed most of the passport website looking for my answer, but came up empty handed. So, I'm turning to the next best bet...my fellow CC cruise experts! :o

A while back, I remember reading a post about stricter regulations concerning your cruise documents, matching your ID, matching your passport. My driver's license has my maiden name as my middle name, but is singed using the initial of my given middle name. The cruise is listed in only my first and last name. What should I have on my passport?

Am I worrying for nothing? I'm so confused!!!:o:D:o

I just skimmed most of the passport website looking for my answer, but came up empty handed. So, I'm turning to the next best bet...my fellow CC cruise experts! :o

A while back, I remember reading a post about stricter regulations concerning your cruise documents, matching your ID, matching your passport. My driver's license has my maiden name as my middle name, but is singed using the initial of my given middle name. The cruise is listed in only my first and last name. What should I have on my passport?

Your passport should match your cruise booking.

Your passport should have your full legal name, which would be first name, middle name(s) and married last name. The cruise ticket should also have your legal name as well. Yur drivers license should have your first, middle, and married last name.

To get a passport you need two pieces of ID:

Birth certificate

SIN/Social Security #

Marriage license (in the even you got married and must update the passport with the new name)

I tend to worry over small things too (LOL). To be on the safe side (although I have read on these boards that you don't have to do this) take your birth certificate and marriage license as backup and enjoy your cruise. They may not ask for your backup, but at least you will have peace of mind. I plan on taking MY backup.

Your passport should match your cruise booking.

You have that backward. The cruise documents MUST match the passport. Probably saying the same thing but the passport is a one time deal with multiple cruises possible so always book using the name on the passport. Not a big deal if the middle name is omitted because the booking engines don't use them yet.

Just giving you my experience with the passport. My DL has my maiden and married name listed. So that is how I listed on the passport application. The issuing agent called and asked for my legal first, middle and last name. I gave that to him and that is how my passport was issued. That is also how I book my name on cruises. Again this is just the experience I had a few years back.

You have a passport, correct? If so the driver's license doesn't enter the picture. Your booking and passport names should be relatively close. If you passport still has your maiden name as the last name, you should bring your marriage certificate, just to be safe.

As an Fyi, my wife's first name starts with a capital letter then an apostrophe and then another capital letter before "turning normal". The passport reflects this but very few computer reservation systems can, so I drop the apostrophe and see what it does the with the capitalization. She has not had an issue during cruise/airline checkin nor returning to the states.

You have a passport, correct?

This will be the first time we get passports. We haven't needed one before on our previous trips.

But we decided to go ahead and get them so that we can rent a car and driving into Canada during our stop in Skagway next May.

...The cruise is listed in only my first and last name. What should I have on my passport?Am I worrying for nothing? I'm so confused!!!:o:D:o
Your Passport will be issued with First Middle Last Names. Most cruises only ask for First and Last names on the booking and there is no requirement that they use either a middle initial or name.

Secure Flight rules are requiring that your booking name match your ID exactly, so one must decide which ID they will use and book their flights accordingly using middle initial or full name depending on how the ID has it. This puts many travelers in the position of booking domestic flights one way and international flight another. This generally does not impact cruises unless you also have the cruise line book your air, and then you must book your cruise name as if it were an airline booking.

Archived