Summary of MSC reviews, costs, expectations

chrtran

I still think this is unfair to MSC. My experience on MSC Poesia was that water flowed freely in the mdr. But I do know that if one no longer even asks for tap water than one will be guaranteed no tap water at all. A lot of folks on cc demand to know when MSC will change policies. What if they already have? I cannot speak for Med cruises but I can for transatlantic on Poesia. Water was free and was freely flowing in all dining areas at all times. To be accurate then I feel your post should include this info as well. Thank you.

Hi Man overboard

chrtrn is collecting info re the Med. You really can't or have an uphill struggle getting free tap water there. I've done 2 transatlantic crossings and one cruis ein the Caribbean and it was completely different. They have not changed their policy in the MED though.

At the risk of offending I see this water thing as a tempest in a teapot. If I wanted tap water and getting my waiter to bring me some evoked too much controversy I would simply bring a bottle refill of it with me to the MDR.

As an aside, I have a hard time seeing why my waiter would refuse my polite but firm request for tap water, but if he did, I would ask to speak with the maitre, then the dining room mgr, then the F and B mgr, then the hotel mgr until my request was complied with. I would politely explain to the latter that if someone did not get me a darn glass of water without further ado, I would contest any auto tip/service charges. If that proved to be mission impossible I would escalate matters probably with the home offices and ultimately my credit card company.

The reasonable man adapts to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to him. Without unreasonable men there would be no progress.

We sailed Lirica in the Baltic last summer out of Dover. We did have tap water available but apparently that was because we sailed out of Dover. There was MUCH discussion about this earlier this fall. One cc member, Bonnielass, did a Med cruise and was flatly denied water regardless of who she spoke with or how she made the request. It was just NOT available. Whether this seems reasonable or not may be debated but the facts remain the same. I think this discussion points out why MSC is having the difficulties with negative posts - they are not consistent across the line. To Americans it seems impossible to comprehend that they would allow passengers to "risk dehydration" rather than provide water. In fact if you go on a TA or a Caribbean cruise or a Baltic cruise out of Dover where water, tea and coffee are available it seems odd that on other sailings these things are not available. That is the way it is. Any summary must point out that different sailing will have different policies. And to be fair those that are avid supporters of MSC need to understand that their experience, even with something as seemingly simple as getting a glass of water, is not universal. If someone points out that they were not able to get one they are not being negative or denegrating MSC's product. They are just pointing out factually what they experienced. This will probably make the trip more pleasant for someone else who is not taken by surprise.

sbhdmh, Thank You for pointing out the differences among all the MSC cruises! I would add a note on my summary about this issues of treating passengers from different ports differently.

I agree that this should be spelled out some where so that people are not taken by surprise and start demanding for things that are not offered. I wonder if I should contact MSC to ask them to spell it out. If it's spelled out some where then it would be fair to customers who are not familiar with the Italian customs.

Here in Italy and as in much of Europe, we're used to drinking mineral water at the table. It's stupid I know because at least here, tap water is good and of course costs a lot less than bottled. In any case, MSC being an Italian line, this land-based custom of bottled water carries over to their ships AND they make a healthy profit selling it. For two euros in a supermarket I buy a pack of six one and a half liter bottles. Aboard for the same price (actually more) we get only one one-liter bottle. I might point out that on Costa, it's been my experience that the waiters in the MDR will always bring you a jug of iced water if you ask for it.

I think chrtran has had a great idea putting this together and it will be a great help to future cruisers on MSC but isn't this water thing becoming to much of an issue? As compared to the price of the airfares, costs of hotels before the cruise, then the price of the cruise isn't the price of water a bit irrelevant? :)

Numerous people have pointed out that it is NOT the cost of the water or the coffee or the tea. It just comes as such a shock to many people - especially Americans - that there is a charge for these things. Frankly I can't believe that the ill-will created is cost effective but MSC can make their own business decisions. As long as people know in advance that they need to purchase water it is not much of an issue. Maybe MSC can just slip a booklet of water coupons to American, Canadian and British passengers. This might eliminate (or at least minimize the issue) while not changing their policy...

I think chrtran has had a great idea putting this together and it will be a great help to future cruisers on MSC but isn't this water thing becoming to much of an issue? As compared to the price of the airfares, costs of hotels before the cruise, then the price of the cruise isn't the price of water a bit irrelevant? :)

It’s irrelevant for me cos I never drink water ... only coffee and beer.. :D

Numerous people have pointed out that it is NOT the cost of the water or the coffee or the tea. It just comes as such a shock to many people - especially Americans - that there is a charge for these things. Frankly I can't believe that the ill-will created is cost effective but MSC can make their own business decisions. As long as people know in advance that they need to purchase water it is not much of an issue. Maybe MSC can just slip a booklet of water coupons to American, Canadian and British passengers. This might eliminate (or at least minimize the issue) while not changing their policy...

Please ask MSC to include the Maltese for their booklet of water coupons.

Seriously , just imagine the revolt if the Italians/Spanish/French/Germans etc found out that we were getting free water and they were having to pay for it.

Please don't forget the Australians!

We were told we'd get water coupons, which we didn't. However, we got water on the table on our TA, so it wasn't a problem.

BTW I spent a fortnight in Italy before and after the cruise and didn't have any problem getting tap water anywhere.

Just because many Europeans are happy to buy bottled water doesn't mean it is good for the environment.

OK so we have Americans, Canadians, British, Maltese and Australians who would like to get water... Anyone else?

Seriously though, has anyone heard a reasonable, rational explanation for why MSC chooses to maintain this policy? If they were content to cater primarily to Italians they would not be attempting to branch out into other markets. They are obviously aware that this is an issue or they would not change their policy for US, British and TA sailings. It seems simple to me - either make water available on request on all sailings or make the policy uniform across the board. Everyone booking an MSC cruise would simply have to purchase bottled (or be given it as a gesture of good will). Travel agents could provide coupon booklets as an incentive to book with them. The MSC site could (and should) be clear on the topic. CC could stop devoting so much space to the topic of water!!! Win-win-win...

I know that the cruise lines sometimes read these boards. MATTEO -ARE YOU THERE? Please pass along that this water issue should be a non-issue. If they made water available on all sailings then the Italians/Spanish/French/Germans could feel happily superior watching others sip the lowly tap water. This would not stop anyone who wants it from purchasing bottles. Another win-win...

JMHO...

Initially when I started this research, I thought that MSC cruising in Europe is different. But it turns out that cruising in the Meds is the ONLY one that is different. I do think that it's fair that if MSC is selling the product in the US that it should follow US laws to tell the consumers in advance.

It should at least specify on its website that certain services are NOT free so that when a person books a MSC cruise, he will know in advance what is happening.

I am happy to purchase water ...it's a small amount compared to what I saved on the cost of the cruise. But I think that if tap water is absolutely not served if requested, then it should be specified some where for consumers protection. Is this not US laws? We are not buying this product in Italy. We are purchasing it here in the US so I think MSC should spell it out instead of depending on word of mouth!

Ok folks, talk is cheap so I decided to call MSC to talk about this issue. AND this is what the representative said, "Pitcher water IS FREE! This policy has been changed within the past few months. This was not the case a few months ago!" I told her that there are a lot of concerns from the reviewers and she told me that those are old reviews!

Ok ... can some one also call to see if what that rep said is true? Or if some one has been on a cruise recently, please elaborate. Thanks!

We've just returned from a Med. cruise.

To be honest, we didn't ask for tap water. But I didn't see any waiter going by with a pitcher of water. Maybe everyone had heard so much that only mineral water is available (in the Med) that they just accepted it and didn't even dare ask for tap water.

We've just returned from a Med. cruise.

To be honest, we didn't ask for tap water. But I didn't see any waiter going by with a pitcher of water. Maybe everyone had heard so much that only mineral water is available (in the Med) that they just accepted it and didn't even dare ask for tap water.

Agree with what Hat said. We didn't even ask. On basically same cruise as Hat (November Splendida).

Actually the only place I cared about not having "free water" was in the fitness center. On NCL they had a water cooler and paper cups for free or bottles for purchase.

We never made the fact that water was only "seemingly" available by bottle an issue - so it never was an issue and we were "happy campers".

Ok folks, talk is cheap so I decided to call MSC to talk about this issue. AND this is what the representative said, "Pitcher water IS FREE! This policy has been changed within the past few months. This was not the case a few months ago!" I told her that there are a lot of concerns from the reviewers and she told me that those are old reviews!

Ok ... can some one also call to see if what that rep said is true? Or if some one has been on a cruise recently, please elaborate. Thanks!

Did you actually intentionally mention the med. cruise? When we were in the Caribbean last winter with Lirica, glasses of tap water were always there in our MDR table everynight before we sit down and being refill automatically.

Thank you very much for the post!

Hmm, lots of interesting views here regarding MSC Cruises. My wife and I have so far been on 2 MSC cruises and have enjoyed them both so much that we have another 2 booked next year (Fjords cruise in July and another Med cruise in Oct). Compared to other cruise lines, MSC do operate a very aggressive pricing policy, shown by the number of special offers that are available every month. Yes, there are some iritating/annoying issues, ie free water seemingly not available at the evening meal, no freely available tea/coffee during the day and the Italians. But, for the price we paid (all were special offers, the same for next years cruises), we don't think there is no better value for money elsewhere. I'm sure faults can be found on other cruise line ships and one must bear in mind the cost paid. As for the rudeness of the Italians I personally don't stand for their attitude and give as good as what I get. They soon get the message !!! The recent change of policy regarding free water at evening meal is very encouraging and will welcome this on next years cruises.

Hi All,

I am going to be on the Magnifca next year. I thank you all for your inputs so I know what to expect when cruising MSC. I organized all the reviews into a few lists that hopefully can help others and myself understand what services MSC provides.

Please give it a look and let me know if I am missing some information:

http://www.traveltripreport.com/about/cruising/msc

Thanks!

i will make sure never to cruise msc... there are a lot of cruise lines that cater to people and don't have so many surcharges and/or rules... i was thinking about cruising with them, but no more...

Archived