300mm enough for Alaska?

ACobra289

Hi.

I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I recently purchased a Pentax K-x with 18-55mm and 55-300mm. Will the 300mm be long enough for wildlife or should I consider renting something like the Sigma 50-500? I don't really want to spend approximately $125 bucks to rent a lens, but then again, this is a once in a lifetime trip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill M

I guess I'd say it depends on what you are shooting. The honest truth is I don't think you could ever have too big of lens going to Alaska. The reality, however, is a 300mm should be good enough for most things you will do. I took a 300 on both trips and it was just fine.

Generally, it should be enough...but I agree too that there really can never be enough lens for a place like Alaska. If you brought a 500, you'd find times you wish you had 600. And if you had 600, there'd be times you wished you had 1000. So you have to draw the line somewhere reasonable - your lens should be sufficient for many situations, but if you don't mind spending the money for a rental, it would be easy enough to justify it. But it does depend on what you will be shooting. If you're a wildlife and bird enthusiast, then I'd say by all means get the bigger lens. If you're just shooting a little bit of everything, maybe stick with your current lenses. I'm a bird and wildlife shooter, and I bring my Tamron 200-500mm with me for an occasion like that.

Remember you have a 1.5x crop factor on your lenses due to your APS-C sensor - so your 300mm is shooting like a 450mm in 35mm terms.

If I were you, I would rent the lens. The $125 cost for the lens will be a small percentage of your "trip of a lifetime" cost. Not having it might make you miss the photo of your lifetime.

That said, you need to consider several things -

1) Are you planning to take a tripod or at least a monopod? Hand holding the lens at 500mm will be very difficult and you certainly don't want your picture of a lifetime to be blurred because of camera movement.

2) I am not familiar with either the lens or the Pentax camera but does the Pentax have image stabilization? Is the stabilization in the body or in the lens? Is the lens stabilized?

3) If you rent the Sigma lens, do you really need to bring along the 55 - 300? That is a lot of glass to lug around.

Hope this helps.

DON

If I were you, I would rent the lens. The $125 cost for the lens will be a small percentage of your "trip of a lifetime" cost. Not having it might make you miss the photo of your lifetime.

That said, you need to consider several things -

1) Are you planning to take a tripod or at least a monopod? Hand holding the lens at 500mm will be very difficult and you certainly don't want your picture of a lifetime to be blurred because of camera movement.

2) I am not familiar with either the lens or the Pentax camera but does the Pentax have image stabilization? Is the stabilization in the body or in the lens? Is the lens stabilized?

3) If you rent the Sigma lens, do you really need to bring along the 55 - 300? That is a lot of glass to lug around.

Hope this helps.

DON

Thanks to everyone for the help.

1. I was not planning on taking a monopod. I'll have to take that into consideration.

2. Yes, the K-x has in camera stabilization, so that will come in handy.

3. Correct, I wouldn't need the 55-300 if I took the 50-500.

Luckily I have about 7 months to decide. :)

Good advice so far.

The most relevant parts are the ones regarding controlling a 500mm (750mm equivalent) lens hand-held. The 450mm equivalent of your 300mm will be hard enough to keep steady, even with in-body stabilization.

IMHO, 300mm will give you enough reach for most situations. The trick is taking the excursions that offer good photo-ops and practice with your camera and the long lens before you go. Go to a park near you and practice on the ducks and other local denizens until you get the feel for tracking and holding the camera still while shooting.

Enjoy your trip! Alaska isn't a once-in-a-lifetime destination...you will go back!;)

Dave

Thanks to everyone for the help.

1. I was not planning on taking a monopod. I'll have to take that into consideration.

2. Yes, the K-x has in camera stabilization, so that will come in handy.

3. Correct, I wouldn't need the 55-300 if I took the 50-500.

Luckily I have about 7 months to decide. :)

Does the Pentax have in-camera stabilization or in-lens stabilization?

The reason I ask this is if the stabilization is in the camera body, your image in the viewfinder will jump around a lot but the image that the camera records will be more stable. If the stabilization is in lens, the viewfinder image will also be stabilized.

This would make a big difference in how easy it will be to use a long lens.

DON

I took my Nikon D40 & 70-300mm VR lens on my "once in a lifetime trip" in September & shot over 4000 pictures in 2 weeks. I am strictly amateur, know nothing of f stops, but the pictures are beautiful. There were a few occasions I wished I had a longer lens, but this was enough to carry. But this being said, I am traveling to Alaska again in May & considering a teleconvertor to give more distance without the bulk. Whatever you decide, you will have a trip to a magical place that you will visit again.

remember that to get a shot that is in focus without using a tripod or a least a monopd your shutter speed has to be greater then your focal length so if you are using the full 500 mm then your shutter speed has to be greater then 500th of a second which would need good light and i remember alaska as being fairly overcast

i am going to new zealand in feb and taking the pentax 55-300 and a tripod!!

good shooting and practice, practice, practice!!!

jackiedanny:)

Archived