I am sick and tired...

Steelermoose

Frog legs are pretty good - but you really need to try them in Louisiana.

http://www.raynefrogfestival.org/

and never trust picante sauce made in New Yawk City...

Is there a native cuisine in New York or it is all a bizarre interpretation of the real thing from somewhere else?

I don't know if there is a "native cuisine" from New York - I'm totally not a foodie. But what New York does offer is authentic cooking from people from the countries of the cuisines they prepare. Turkish food made by Turks, Afghan food made by Afghans, Cuban food made by Cubans, etc. My only complaint is that it is hard to get authentic Mexican food in Manhattan. Queens is the place to go for that.

Frog legs are pretty good - but you really need to try them in Louisiana.

http://www.raynefrogfestival.org/

and never trust picante sauce made in New Yawk City...

Is there a native cuisine in New York or it is all a bizarre interpretation of the real thing from somewhere else?

Is there a native *AMERICAN* cuisine, or just bizarre interpretations of the real thing from somewhere else? Most Southern food has it's roots eslewhere -- Africa and France, for most of it.

And to answer the rhetorical, no. Because there are like three or four mother cuisines and everything else is a fusion, a local re-working, or an interpretation. Keep trying, Sarge.

I mean hijacked in a nice way -- with the NYC food talk and everything, I'd like to share a recent experience... DW and I went to NYC 3 months ago; it was my first time there in 10 years. We went to Central Park for a long walk after lunch at Platforma, which is an upscale Brazilian carnivore-lover's paradise. It was wonderful. Everybody talks about how chaotic NYC is; however it was 4 PM on a Sunday and in Times Square, there was a portion blocked off, and there were a few hundred people in lawn chairs just relaxing in what has to be one of the busiest parts of the city.

For anybody from NYC: Is that usual, having a section of times square blocked off for people to bring chairs and chill?

I mean hijacked in a nice way -- with the NYC food talk and everything, I'd like to share a recent experience... DW and I went to NYC 3 months ago; it was my first time there in 10 years. We went to Central Park for a long walk after lunch at Platforma, which is an upscale Brazilian carnivore-lover's paradise. It was wonderful. Everybody talks about how chaotic NYC is; however it was 4 PM on a Sunday and in Times Square, there was a portion blocked off, and there were a few hundred people in lawn chairs just relaxing in what has to be one of the busiest parts of the city.

For anybody from NYC: Is that usual, having a section of times square blocked off for people to bring chairs and chill?

Glad you had a nice experience in NYC!

What you saw is a new thing here. A swath of Broadway has been closed off to traffic and set up for pedestrian lounging. It's been controversial with the locals here because it messes up traffic flow along Broadway in one of the most chaotic parts of the city. But I kind of like it. I typically hate Times Square (way too crowded) - but I don't mind this.

Yeah, they started that this summer. There's also a section of Herald Square blocked off. It's a pain in the rear if you're trying to cut through Times Square to get to the PA or Penn Station, but the tourists (no offense) tend to like it and it does keep them from wandering excessively on the side streets. ;)

I gotta ask about Platforma -- did they do the meat on the sword thing?

Thanks for the info. I was shocked because one minute it was shoulder to shoulder logjam and then a few hundred feet away there were people casually taking in the sights and sounds in a comfortable setting. Next time DW and I visit, we're bringing the Coleman lawn chairs and splitting a gigantic stage/Carnegie sandwich. $30 for a wonderful corned-beef sandwich the size of my head is really worth it. It's a rare guilty pleasure that's worth every penny :D.

I gotta ask about Platforma -- did they do the meat on the sword thing?

Oh yeah!!! Come hungry and don't bother with the first course. And do lunch b/c it's cheaper than dinner and the only reason dinner is higher cost is b/c of sushi. And sushi is nice -- but you're there for the meats. It's wonderful and great for a special occasion.

NY is a melting pot of all types of cultures and cuisines representing the immigrants who settle here. No, there is not just one real food of NY because of this vast diversity.

The best thing about NY -- you can find any religion, language, food, culture and nationality all in one place. As people settled in NY they brought their unique ethnic foods and customs with them. No where else can you find such a blending of peoples and cultures from all over the world. Unlike some other large cities, NY is not just a city of neighborhoods, but a city of blocks. By that I mean, just walk 10 blocks east or west and you will find another culture. That's how diverse NY is.

NY is fast paced because it has to be. It isn't the financial center of the world for nothing!

NYers love to show off their city to visitors and watch their amazement of the things we take for granted every day. But please, do not stop dead in your tracks to stare up at something and cause everyone behind you to detour to avoid hitting you. Someone will say something about it that may not be too nice!

Yes, NYers are more vocal than people from other places. If something is not up to par, you will hear about it. We expect to get good value for what we pay. We are used to having choices. If your product, service or food isn't up to the highest standards, you will hear about it and we will take our money elsewhere.

For so many years we watched all the cruise lines sailing out of Florida at dirt cheap rates in envy. Now that we finally have some ships sailing out of NY and everything isn't 100% and we voiced our valid opinion, some feel that NO ships should sail out of NY! I am just amazed and perplexed at that type of reasoning. Our complaining ("whining") can only serve to push the cruise lines to a higher standard of service where ALL passengers will benefit as a result.

Ships sailing out of NY have a very mixed population of US citizens and people from other countries due to the beneficial rate of the US dollar to other currencies. Just because a sailing originates out of NY, not everyone on board is a NYer. People don't go around wearing signs that show where a passenger is from.

Let it go and be happy you could afford to take a cruise.

MARAPRINCE

NYers love to show off their city to visitors and watch their amazement of the things we take for granted every day. But please, do not stop dead in your tracks to stare up at something and cause everyone behind you to detour to avoid hitting you. Someone will say something about it that may not be too nice!

Ok... this is sooooo true. I used to work down by Ground Zero. Let me tell you, nothing is as frustrating as trying to navigate through the crowd of gawkers to try to get some lunch.

I always marvel at the spectacle of Grand Central in the morning.... it's an artform to make your way through there without changing your head on course. People weaving in and out ... etc...

Ok... this is sooooo true. I used to work down by Ground Zero. Let me tell you, nothing is as frustrating as trying to navigate through the crowd of gawkers to try to get some lunch.

Oh, there's one thing more frustrating ... people view Ground Zero as a place for a "Happy Couple" or "Happy Family" or "Flash Dem Signs" shot. For God's sake people, show some bloody respect! I get that people want to see it, but it's not a happy-fun-time-tourist attraction, all right? A little gravity, please? (/rant)

This thread is really heartwarming....let's keep up the good posts.

Now, does anyone remember the Cheese Cellar? 54th st between Park and Lex? Back in the day they had very reasonable priced fondue. First the cheese version...then a meat,shrimp in oil version then of course a desser of pound cake,fruit and chocolate dip.

Pair it with great wine....great company....no kids or spouse to worry about and viola.....you have fallen in love!!! Many a time did I go to this place with the main squeeze at the time.....ah to be 20 something....it was a good time in life. Glad to be where I am now in life.....but will never forget the single days!!!;):D:eek:

I think it moved over to between 5th and 6th. Or at least there is a good fondue place on 54th between 5th adn 6th around the way from my office.

Thanks for the info. We have a Melting Pot in White Plains that I have never been to but since it is in a high rent district, I have been told that it is expensive for what you get....but I may try it someday anyway.

Thanks for the info. We have a Melting Pot in White Plains that I have never been to but since it is in a high rent district, I have been told that it is expensive for what you get....but I may try it someday anyway.

Hi Lee

My sister went to the Melting Pot in Huntington (?)... she said it was aweful!!:eek:

Is there a native *AMERICAN* cuisine, or just bizarre interpretations of the real thing from somewhere else? Most Southern food has it's roots eslewhere -- Africa and France, for most of it.

And to answer the rhetorical, no. Because there are like three or four mother cuisines and everything else is a fusion, a local re-working, or an interpretation. Keep trying, Sarge.

lol~~~~:D There is actually a native American cuisine....just go to the indian reservation and you will find some there....lol..... ~~~~~

Seriously though, it doesn't matter where the food comes from as long as it's good.... ;) New York has this thing called a pizza burger!! I had never had one until I went to NYC.... I love pizzas and hamburgers.....so to have them together is the best thing in the world!! lol :)

This thread is so enjoyable...talk about a good hijack! And since I grew up in Stamford (CT, for all y'all southerners), I feel like I'm a neighbor;) We'll be sailing the Miracle in May coz we're taking the whole family and can't afford all the flights. Taking Dad for his first cruise (at the age of 82) and he lives on the upper East Side. Irishman born and raised in Brooklyn, he will certainly tell you if you piss him off, but he is never rude:p

Back to the pizza...........New Haven has awesome pizza, so all you New Yorkers don't have ALL the good pizza!;):D

Toni, nice to see ya! I've been slumming on Facebook, too!

This thread is so enjoyable...talk about a good hijack! And since I grew up in Stamford (CT, for all y'all southerners), I feel like I'm a neighbor;) We'll be sailing the Miracle in May coz we're taking the whole family and can't afford all the flights. Taking Dad for his first cruise (at the age of 82) and he lives on the upper East Side. Irishman born and raised in Brooklyn, he will certainly tell you if you piss him off, but he is never rude:p

Back to the pizza...........New Haven has awesome pizza, so all you New Yorkers don't have ALL the good pizza!;):D

Toni, nice to see ya! I've been slumming on Facebook, too!

Hi Linda!!!

Hope all is well!

Boy it sure got LOUD in here.

There is a lot of Native American Cuisine.

Ok, I will concede that NYC has the best Ethiopian cuisine outside of Ethiopia, mainly because I don't care.

All other cuisines are quite subjective, and fact is, NYC ISN'T the best - they only think they are. When anyone disagrees, they try to shout you down. How rude!

They can sit in their tiny apartments and pretend that the entire world is within a few blocks of their high rises, but that isn't reality. It is what NYC substitutes for reality.

Archived