I am sick and tired...

Steelermoose

Just an observation,

The people that I have noticed complaining the most and being rude tend to have a New York accent.

The friendliest, most cheerful cruisers I have encountered tend to come from Texas. People from the Carolinas are a close second.

I am from neither state, but given a choice, I'd cruise out of Texas before cruising out of NY.

less demand.....lower prices

As a resident above Westchester are you referring to all New Yorkers being rude or just our NYC cousins.:D Last I knew there was around 9 million NYC residents and a equal amount Upstate. As a frequent visitor to NYC I have noticed that there is a cultural difference between Up and down State, not that they are rude but more direct and emotional.:)

I am sick and tired of people telling people it is what you make of it:rolleyes:

Good point. If that was really true, why would we spend good money to go on a cruise? We could just sit in a cardboard box in the back yard and have just a good a time, since it "is what you make of it".

Your vacations are absolutely what you make of them. Everyone likes something different but you need some kind of perspective. While my last cruise wasn't fantastic I had a good time and nothing horrible happened. I had great food service in the dining room, absolutely no bar service. So to fix that I went to the dining room with a drink ordered from the lobby bar. If I wish to avoid the crowds at the buffet then I eat in the dining room. Service wasn't spectaclular at the Supper Club, to fix that I will save myself $30 and not go again. Never however did I claim my vacation was horrible and I just won't ever go again.

People need to put things in their proper perspective. Same as someone going to Disney World during spring break and then complaining about the number of people or going in July and complaining about the heat. Some things are just ridiculous to complain about. Some things are just observations and really shouldn't have the impact some people give them.

My BIL complains about everything - him and my sister just returned from a Disney cruise and they both preferred Princess over Disney and they also preferred Disney over their cruise on the Splendor. We both had the exact same experiences on the Splendor but their reaction to the things was totally different than my own.

Good point. If that was really true, why would we spend good money to go on a cruise? We could just sit in a cardboard box in the back yard and have just a good a time, since it "is what you make of it".

LOL! Better point:D

Your vacations are absolutely what you make of them. Everyone likes something different but you need some kind of perspective. While my last cruise wasn't fantastic I had a good time and nothing horrible happened. I had great food service in the dining room, absolutely no bar service. So to fix that I went to the dining room with a drink ordered from the lobby bar. If I wish to avoid the crowds at the buffet then I eat in the dining room. Service wasn't spectaclular at the Supper Club, to fix that I will save myself $30 and not go again. Never however did I claim my vacation was horrible and I just won't ever go again.

People need to put things in their proper perspective. Same as someone going to Disney World during spring break and then complaining about the number of people or going in July and complaining about the heat. Some things are just ridiculous to complain about. Some things are just observations and really shouldn't have the impact some people give them.

My BIL complains about everything - him and my sister just returned from a Disney cruise and they both preferred Princess over Disney and they also preferred Disney over their cruise on the Splendor. We both had the exact same experiences on the Splendor but their reaction to the things was totally different than my own.

Every one's perspective is different;)

y'all :D know my take on the NYC cruises.......I think we should stop booking them for awhile until they bring the prices in line with Florida cruises. There is a supply and demand thing going on down there as well. We should just lower our demand for Carnival cruises and then when the ships are only half full they will have to deep discount and give us locals a deal just like the Floridians, and others get. And if they pull out...we either go to a different line, fly somewhere or just save the bucks! simple solution.:D

Be careful what you wish for. A cheap NY cruise attracts cheap NY cruisers! We got caught once! Never again!

Heck, I'm a New Yorker born and bred.

Raised in Brooklyn, live in Manhattan.

We were on the 11/23 sailing of the Dream and loved every minute of it. Check out my review on this forum from 12/1.

I always evaluate a product or service based on the price paid, and the value received. The Dream passed that evaluation with flying colors.:D

Don't go expecting 5 star restaurant and hotel service from a ship carrying over 4000 passengers and priced more like a 2 1/2 star hotel.

Or as we say in New York, "Don't have champagne taste and beer pockets.":rolleyes:

PS: I guess the inclement weather on most of the Dream sailings from New York put some people in a less than favorable mood. That's always a hazard of sailing out of New York in late Fall and Winter.

Just an observation,

The people that I have noticed complaining the most and being rude tend to have a New York accent.

The friendliest, most cheerful cruisers I have encountered tend to come from Texas. People from the Carolinas are a close second.

I am from neither state, but given a choice, I'd cruise out of Texas before cruising out of NY.

It really depends on your point of view. I'm a NYC transplant. I've lived in many places, Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, CT, NJ and I have family in the Carolina's... As far as rudeness, etc. NY'ers don't hold the patent on being rude. I've run into my fair share everywhere I've been. And to be honest there's more NY'ers in the area my family lives in (Charlotte) than NC'ers...

I find myself getting frustrated with the pace of people outside of NYC. Now, I can "downshift" and deal with it other's can't. I can't speak for every NY'er but we're not all rude. And accents have nothing to do with it... (You might be listening to someone from Long Island............don't get me started on them.... wink wink)

I choose not to cruise out of NYC because of the prices. It's cheaper for me to fly Florida and take advantage of the many Florida ports than to take a cruise from NYC (20 minute drive). You're not going to "drive down the pricing" because the demand will always be there. Sorry...

Of my friends that will only cruise from New York, they make that choice because they won't fly. (I don't get that... but I'm able to empathize with their discomfort of flying). They know that they'll pay more, and they don't care.

If there are problems on the ship, I would rather find out about it BEFORE I book it and spend my money only to be dissatisfied.

Just because the ship left out of NY doesn't mean it was overwhelming filled with local NYers. Plenty of people from Canada drive down rather than fly to NY to board a ship out of NY. Other passengers either take Carnival transportation provided from Baltimore, Pa or Boston as well. The sailing was not exclusively sold to NY residents. Rude passengers come from all over.

So lighten up and get over it.

The real issue is the problems or what didn't work as well as it should have -- not where the passengers were from.

MARAPRINCE

I was on the transatlantic crossing and I do have to say that many of the people that complained the most were from New York. Now before you start yelling, I want you to know that my daughter lives in NYC and she says (jokingly I think...) she's not a complainer, it's just that New Yorkers live in the best place in the world and they really know how things should work! On the cruise I sat with a guy from Long Island at the afternoon tea and he said he thought the food was terrible--- all while picking out 5 or 6 desserts including the best lemon chiffon pie I ever ate. When I said that the dessert was great, he agreed and then huffed a little and said, well he really meant to dining room food.

I was born and raised on Long Island. Been around NY'rs most of my life. Moved to Boston. There was very little difference between the whining. I've been on several cruises and someone will always complain or find something to complain about. Whateva. I belive the OP has the right to post their thoughts. That's what this forum is for. Sometimes I have a hard time beliving what some people complain about. Hey, things go wrong.....I've read most of the posts regarding the Dream and the mess it was up against out of NY. Glad I waited and plan on waiting until things get ironed out. One thing though, I can't deal with rude staff. This is one time that I will complain to guest services. I want and have paid for a pleasant experience in the MDR, lounges or anywhere else on the ship. That is their job and I am paying them for it. If they can't do it, I will complain. :)

I wish more people didn't like New Yorkers. I would love to see fewer fat southerners here blocking the sidewalk while pointing at all the tall buildings, adjusting their baseball caps, and taking things out of their fanny packs.

Can I add......Someone needs to teach them how to cross the steets.

I'd say less than 10% of people on the Dream out of NYC were from NY.

Maybe New Yorkers complain more because we are use to better(not really but it sounded good). All people complain, some are just not happy unless they can find something to complain about.

Can I add......Someone needs to teach them how to cross the steets.

I'd say less than 10% of people on the Dream out of NYC were from NY.

Maybe New Yorkers complain more because we are use to better(not really but it sounded good). All people complain, some are just not happy unless they can find something to complain about.

I wouldn't say better ... just different. I mean, have your ridden the A line lately? ;) NYC folks are just different. They move fast, they don't like to spend time lingering over anything, so anything that takes up more of their time than they're prepared to give frustrates them and they're vocal about their frustration. They spend their money and time much differently than other people from other parts of the country. They're also some of the nicest, most helpful and caring people in the world.

I grew up outside Philly and spent most of my adult life thus far (I'm 32) in PA and NY - Long Island and Bklyn specifically - and what I'M sick & tired of is NY'ers getting a bad rap.

The stereotypes are 95% just that - stereotypes, and anyone who's spent time in NYC knows it. Stop beating up on NYC or go home.

I can't wait to cruise out of NYC (we were scheduled to do so before thanksgiving but had to switch due to a grad school schedule).

Bring on the NY'ers!!! THey'll show you a great time!!

All my cruises in the past several years have been from NY. I'm not from there, but I'm a quick 3 hour train ride away. Take it from me: people from all over sail from NY because it's a great embarkation port. One of the best sailaways anywhere--where else can you sail past the Statue of Liberty to start off your cruise?

The CN, ehhh? Very nice. I'm in the ghetto and proud of it. Neptune Township.

LOL I would have rather been in Neptune!!!!!!!!!

As a kid I spent summers in Seaside Heights- I am not a CN type at all -ewwww (thus the first marriage thingy lol)

I lived in New York for five years. We are use to the best restaurants, Broadway entertainment, best hotels, and superb service. So when we go on a first class cruise ship we expect the same. You bet we will complain if it is not up to the standards we have become accustomed to. :cool:

Here's the difference:

Waiter: How is your dinner?

Texas Tillie: Oh y'all, it's just great. I love it. I'm just so happy to be here and if I complain that would be so rude. I really love 10 pounds of salt in my soup. Oh y'all I'm so happy!

Translation : This meal is terrible. But I don't complain. That would be so rude. I will just eat it and not say anything negative.

Another scenario...

Waiter: How is your dinner?

New York Ned: Thanks for asking. I think it's too salty. I'd prefer to have another plate with less salt. Thanks.

Translation: Thanks for asking. I think it's too salty. I'd prefer to have another plate with less salt. Thanks.

See the difference?

Archived