Food poisoning on the Miracle

Did anyone else get sick on the Miracle? We sailed Nov. 28 and on Friday my husband and I both got food poisoning. Would love to know if anyone else got sick and if they did what did they eat. I plan to let Carnival know.

Sorry to hear you were ill. You should probably notify Carnival soon as they might be able to pinpoint the source if they receive enough reports. Might it be due to food eaten at a port?

Did anyone else get sick on the Miracle? We sailed Nov. 28 and on Friday my husband and I both got food poisoning. Would love to know if anyone else got sick and if they did what did they eat. I plan to let Carnival know.

What doctor diagnosed this?

Why does a doctor have to diagnose food poisining? You get it, lay in bed for a few days, throw up, poop and get over it... :confused:

I think the question was: there are lots of illnesses that have the symptoms of food poisioning. How coud the OP know it was food poisioning and not something else, unless they saw a doctor. Otherwise, it's just an opinion and not a fact.

I think the question was: there are lots of illnesses that have the symptoms of food poisioning. How coud the OP know it was food poisioning and not something else, unless they saw a doctor. Otherwise, it's just an opinion and not a fact.

You never had food poisoning have you:p

If two or more people who are spending time together become ill with gastrointestinal symptoms (assuming these were GI) at approximately the same time, some common source of infection (i.e. food) is a safe assumption. Not a certainty, but food poisoning is often diagnosed on clinical grounds alone.

Ideally they would have their stool tested to determine a causative organism, but short of that I still believe the OP is making a reasonable assumption and it would be a fair idea to notify Carnival.

Well, if you don't have a problem, then you go on a big boat with lots of food sitting around, and you eat that food, and then you get this problem... I don't know. I think I'd jump to food poisining, too.

It's not a Carnival-bashing thing. It happens on cruise ships ALL THE TIME... it's an enclosed space, petri-dish environment kind of thing...

Well, if you don't have a problem, then you go on a big boat with lots of food sitting around, and you eat that food, and then you get this problem... I don't know. I think I'd jump to food poisining, too.

It's not a Carnival-bashing thing. It happens on cruise ships ALL THE TIME... it's an enclosed space, petri-dish environment kind of thing...

Right, food poisoning is the ONLY viable option. 3000 other people and of course you are POSITIVE they all wash their hands after using the bathroom, weren't sick when they got on the boat, didn't contract something in port that took several days to manifest, etc.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I used to work in retail in a large company and you better believe food poisoning was the excuse given every other time someone had to call out. But guess what? Food poisoning, actual contaminated, spoiled food product, in mass quantity on a ship with state of the art facilities, isn't nearly as common as people make it out to be.

I'm not bashing the OP for posting here. Because things do happen and maybe there's a common factor that more people than just her and her husband came in contact with. But to jump to that conclusion, with no medical evaluation, and bring it on here like some kind of fact, is more for dramatic flare than it is to get some handle on the situation.

EDIT: Especially given that this is her first post. Maybe that doesn't mean anything but then again, maybe it does.

Marriage was the same for me

Why does a doctor have to diagnose food poisining? You get it, lay in bed for a few days, throw up, poop and get over it... :confused:

It's vital that you're properly diagnosed in the case of food poisoning.

I thought I could just wait it out after getting sick after a cruise. After 3 weeks I had enough and went to the doctor. I had a rare strain of Salmonella that can be deadly in some cases and left me with recurring bouts of arthritis along with a trashed immune system for a few years. Don't take it lightly, you'll be sorry.

OBTW: I know the contamination came from somewhere onboard, but CCL refused to work with my local public health officials in releasing the menus for the period during my cruise. :mad:

I would look at what the two of you ate in St. Kitts. If it was from the ship, there would be more reports of food poisoning, either here on CC or in the news.

(Note: I wouldn't wish food poisoning on my worst enemy. It's not fun, it took me 5 years before I could even take a bite of Chinese food.)

My family went on a cruise on the Sovereign back in '89. My brother ordered a coke and there were only a couple of ice cubes. He asked for more and was told that they were having refrigeration problems- that was a warning!

Much of the ship got food poisoning. You couldn't really blame it on food people ate at the ports as one stop was cancelled, we stopped at St. Thomas and San Juan only. You couldn't blame it on the sea as the weather was perfect. You couldn't blame it on noro as the numbers were too high.

The infirmery was packed. Each night, you'd see more and more empty chairs in the dining room. On the last couple of nights, over a third of chairs that once had people were empty!

What was it? Well, in my family, two of us were stricken and they ate the cheesecake, the rest of us didn't. My mom was so ill, that RCL loaned her a wheel chair to get off the ship and she spent an extra night in Miami. On the day of debarcation, sister went to the E.R, they found listeria in her, that comes from poorly refrigerated dairy products. When I posted this on the RCL board (like 9 years after it happened) the royal loyals derided it and attributed the mass sickness to alcohol, rough seas, etc. Fact is that it was food poisoning. Also, as a former adjuster, food poisoning can happen anywhere and most cases are not acknowledge, the person blames it on the "flu".

Getting back to the OP, the ship is required to report the number of people ill. For this to be food poisoning, you need a statistically significant number of people ill, along with some confirmation (like a blood test). For my sister and mother, suing RCL would be difficult as you have to do through federal court, so they accepted the future cruise vouchers.

Not necessarily. Blood and stool tests would diagnose if it's really food poisoning, a GI bug, or something more serious like storm-onset Crohn's or UC.

Sometimes you don't "get over it". Sometimes you end up with an ulcerated colon, a bad case of sepsis, and a bowel resection.

On our 2008 October cruise on the Miracle my mother (80 yr) got sick on the last night shortly after dinner, we didn't even think about food poisoning. I took her directly to hospital once home the next day where she stayed for the next 5 days. She was so weak. The doctors diagnosed her with food poisoning and recommended that I contact Carnival and let them know just in case. I did and got a pretty standard reply to the effect of "no one reported anything" including us. We didn't ask for any compensation, but was told that next time mom cruises they'll make sure she gets something nice sent to her cabin. The only thing we could come up with was the "escargot" :eek:

Why would you wait until you got off the ship, and then post here? You do realize that CC posters are a tiny portion of cruisers. Even if several others did have the same problems, it's entirely possible that not a single one of them post here and would have no idea that perhaps others also had the problem.

If you thought you had food poisoning, wouldn't you go to the ship's infirmiry? If you thought you had food poisoning, wouldn't it have been wise to have alerted someone while you were actually on the ship to report it so they could take appropriate actions if it were determined that it was actually food poisoning and not noro virus?

:confused:

Archived