Food poisoning on the Miracle

OK.. I wont call it food poisioning but I can tell you once, on a Carnival cruise I got so sick!!

But it did happen at port. My husband and I ate exactly the same thing, we shared two dishes and I had a frozen drink... I cant tell you how sick I became... It can happen pretty fast. After that I never get a frozen drink while in port, stick with a bottled something.

This happened at the Atlantis in the Bahamas, so you never know.. I thought this was a pretty safe place to have a drink.

Not necessarily. Blood and stool tests would diagnose if it's really food poisoning, a GI bug, or something more serious like storm-onset Crohn's or UC.

Sometimes you don't "get over it". Sometimes you end up with an ulcerated colon, a bad case of sepsis, and a bowel resection.

Sounds like a bad episode of "House" :eek:

OK.. I wont call it food poisioning but I can tell you once, on a Carnival cruise I got so sick!!

But it did happen at port. My husband and I ate exactly the same thing, we shared two dishes and I had a frozen drink...

Shared you say? I thought I got food poisoning on a cruise a few years ago. I was sicker than I had ever been in my life. I think, in retrospect, it was a nasty strain of norovirus; the symptoms can be almost identical. It can easily spread by sharing food or drink.

Food poisoning can certainly happen on a cruise ship, but an industrial-scale kitchen would have hundreds of people sick, some of them potentially life-threatening. If it was really food poisoning, someone, somewhere will be hospitalized and that will start the investigation.

Thanks to most of you. When we got home I searched the internet for food poisoning and gathered what info I received. I have never had food poisoning before but was pretty sure that is what we have. I was going to wait it out but I think I will call the doctor. To those that think I am bashing Carnival you are wrong. I have worked in food service for many years and know how easy it is for contamination. My husband and I did eat at Caye Caulker on Friday but did not start feeling bad till Saturday after lunch. I didn't think to report the sickness before I left the ship I was too busy in the restroom if you know what I mean. I prayed real hard to be able to fly home on Sunday and God answered my prayers.

Did you have the surgeon general confirm it ?

You must have gotten it at a port...

Surley Carnival can`t be the one to blame...certainly they probably left out mayonaise for 5 days before their cruise and carefully got it through security and then on the next to last day of the cruise mixed it with the melting cake ice cream just to come on cruise critic and tell people about it so they could get the third degree

I can agree that is was not Food Poisoning as you would have been much sicker than posted...if you have ever truely had it you know that it is NOT something that just gives you stomach ache and poops...how about the worse hangover times 20 and you never want to eat again.

I had food poisoning once and I was extremely sick within an hour of eating.

I would guess it was either Noro or just a stomach virus you picked up.

Either DD & I (or, sadly, sometimes both) get sick within a day or two after sailing. Last time, I picked up H1N1 on the Triumph CTN.

Considering the unsanitary habits of the general population, the close proximity of those unsanity people, the exposure to illnesses brought from people in other regions of the country/world to which you have probably not been exposed and have no immunity, there's no wonder people get sick.

Sure, it could've been something you ate. But it's more likely that it was just something else.

Still, you should have reported it before you disembarked! If it were an outbreak of Noro at the end of a cruise, Carnival needed to be aware of it immediately so the precautions could have been taken to disinfect the ship prior to the next batch of people arriving. I'll be on her next Monday. I don't really appreciate it if someone may have Noro and didn't tell the crew/staff.

I can agree that is was not Food Poisoning as you would have been much sicker than posted...if you have ever truely had it you know that it is NOT something that just gives you stomach ache and poops...how about the worse hangover times 20 and you never want to eat again.

This is not true.........all of our group (7) in Vegas got food poisoning a few years back. All had varying degrees of symptoms from mild to bad and all different time frames....... one got sick a half hour after eating and another not until the next morning.......

It affects everyone differently.....

I don't doubt at all that is what the they had.......

This is not true.........all of our group (7) in Vegas got food poisoning a few years back. All had varying degrees of symptoms from mild to bad and all different time frames....... one got sick a half hour after eating and another not until the next morning.......

It affects everyone differently.....

I don't doubt at all that is what the they had.......

I stand corrected as it does affect those differently depending on age/health

:p

My wife and I were on this sailing. Neither of us, or anyone else we talked with, had

any problems with food poisoning. I did come down with a cold on Fri., which I

assume I must have contacted after we sailed.

The ship makes mass quantities of food every day and they are very good at it. If there was anything wrong with the food, mass quantities of people would be sick.

The OP can't be faulted for thinking it COULD be the food and asking if anyone else was sick. However, it's pretty clear that mass quantities of people did not get sick from the food, and what the OP had was more likely something else than bad food.

I did the Behind the Fun tour on Miracle a few weeks ago and it included an extended galley tour. We also toured the food storage areas underneath the ship.

The place was spic and span all over. Even the garbage facility was tidy.

No offense to the OP, but whatever they had was not due to anything improper with the food. Noroviruses and similar bugs are rampant on cruise ships, and they mess up your insides something awful. But that is not food poisioning. It was caused by fecal matter that got ingested -- another way of saying someone did not wash their hands.

I did the Behind the Fun tour on Miracle a few weeks ago and it included an extended galley tour. We also toured the food storage areas underneath the ship.

The place was spic and span all over. Even the garbage facility was tidy.

No offense to the OP, but whatever they had was not due to anything improper with the food. Noroviruses and similar bugs are rampant on cruise ships, and they mess up your insides something awful. But that is not food poisioning. It was caused by fecal matter that got ingested -- another way of saying someone did not wash their hands.

What:confused: OMG what a joke.....of course you can never get food poisoning on a Carnival cruise ship.......what was I thinking :confused: ROFLMAO!!!

And what doctor gave the OP a diagnosis of food poisoning?

Some of us are simply trying to propose other causes for their illness.

Just because someone got severe GI distress after lunch doesn't mean it was food poisoning.

Did she say what they ate? Did they eat the same thing? Did they eat lunch in the dining room or the buffet?

This is precisely why they should've gone to the infirmary. If they were sick enough to think it was food poisoning, they were sick enough that someone should've been alerted!

Again, if it was food poisoning, Carnival needed to know RIGHT THEN!

If it was Noro, Carnival needed to know RIGHT THEN!

If it was 'just' a bug, or the flu, that they picked up from other passengers, there's nothing Carnival can do for them, especially after they've already returned home.

What can Carnival possibly do now other than to the standard "sorry this happened, thanks for letting us know"? They should've been alerted immediately.

And no one said that getting food poisoning isn't possible. :rolleyes:

I just did a "Behind the fun tour", and the chef in the supper club picked up a chunk of meat sitting on a cutting board when we got there. He didn't have gloves on, and cut across the meat picked it up to show us the marbleing in the filet he cut. Then just put it down on the cutting board. I don't know how long the meat was out, and it would make at least 6 filets....I can't remember if he shook our hands before the demo, or not. Hmmm wonder if anybody got sick that night? :confused:

And what doctor gave the OP a diagnosis of food poisoning?

Post # 3 already asked this question...

And no one said that getting food poisoning isn't possible. :rolleyes:

Post # 41 said no food relation, I simply posed the same question post #3 did to OP's statement.

At this point no one can say if it was or was not food poisoning, therefore is very well could be, or it could not.

OP came on line to see if others experienced same, sounds like one of many logical approaches to find information to me..

I just did a "Behind the fun tour", and the chef in the supper club picked up a chunk of meat sitting on a cutting board when we got there. He didn't have gloves on, and cut across the meat picked it up to show us the marbleing in the filet he cut. Then just put it down on the cutting board. I don't know how long the meat was out, and it would make at least 6 filets....I can't remember if he shook our hands before the demo, or not. Hmmm wonder if anybody got sick that night? :confused:

Why that can't be possible:D

I was on the Miracle on Nov. 28th and did not experience anything like that. While I did not think the food was as good as my previous Carnival cruises, no one in my family was ill. Did you eat on the Lido deck most of the time or in the MDR?

Archived