Chef's Table - main course question

crazygirl!

We will be on the Crown, and I really want to do the Chef's Table. However, DH does not eat Veal, which seems to be the main course for most of these dinners. Is there an alternative dish for him? We would not want to be inappropriate or cause any problems for the table, which is why I am asking before deciding to sign up or not.

First of all, I believe there are a few different menus for chef's table, and the one we had an assortment of grilled meats, of which I don't remember veal being one.

But part of the process is an interview where they ask you those exact type of questions so they can accomodate.

We did the Chef's table on the Caribbean Princess earlier this year had had the trio of meet. Pork, Beef, and veal. In that case, you DH could not take the veal. It is not like you are not already getting enough food or anything....:D They do have the meeting before hand and I think they are primarily concerned about allergies. If the menu does not meet your needs, I am sure you can opt out at that time.

Tim

We had three meats like the previous poster. On the Caribbean the chef accomodated one woman who didn't eat lobster OR crab with making her special appetizers...I thought she was lucky considering he did not have to. DO IT ... best thing we have ever done on a cruise! Donna

We had the opportunity to do the Chef's Table on the Emerald 2 weeks ago. It was the best $150 we have spent in a long time. There was no interview. When I called to get on the list I was asked if either of us had any allergies, that was all they asked. It was a wonderful experience starting from walking into the kitchen with "lab" coats on and eating cavier, ahi tuna tartare and the wonderful presentations of all the appetizers. From there we went to the dining room with a beautiful table for 12 and we did have veal, pork and steak filets. Wonderful wines were poured and again beautiful presentations of all the courses. If you are picky about foods and don't want to experience it all, save your money.

We did the last of 3 CT's recently on the Ruby,the one before us got the trio of meat on the hook,we did not instead getting the "double impact" surf & turf (10oz brazilian lobster tail/sea scallops/filet mignon/rack of lamb).

We were sent a form in our stateroom when we were selected asking us if we had any known food allergies...and asking us to wear close-toed shoes as well as "freshly laundered" clothing.

At our Chefs Table, on the Crown, we had the trio of meat.

I have read on these boards where the chef made exceptions and prepared other items, i.e. for vegetarians.

I don't think it's a big deal for them if you mention it at the interview.

I must be missing something somewhere, and I have read of others who say the same thing, but isn't veal just a young cow?

Does he eat steak? Or is it just an age thing?

I'm a big steak eater, but I have enjoyed veal, especially at the Chefs Table.

Either way don't allow this to miss an extravaganza.

We've done the chef's Table a couple of times--it's a fun evening--don't miss it because a desert may contain chocolate--you'll have plenty of great food that evening--also a bit of wine--okay quite a bit of wine--there are non-drinkers that still enjoy the Chef's Table--At the interview a few months ago on the Star there was a statement I hadn't been aware of from the first time and that was they wanted us to wear closed toe shoes--that's not anything I would even take to wear for an evening shoe--I found a pair the next day in Aruba to wear to the dinner--on other threads I've mentioned this and apparently it isn't that big of a deal on some ships--we're going on the Crown and the Emerald this January--I'm sure we will sign up for the Chef's Table on both--already gave away those black closed toe heels--we'll see what happens. Enjoy your cruise and the Chef's Table !!

Nancy:D:D

our first chefs table we had the trio of meat. last month on the star we had the "surf & turf" It was the "best" steak I've had in a long time.

when we registered we told them that we had done it before, so then they change the menu.

Plan on doing it again on our next cruise :D

Here's my question.

I don't eat chocolate, and we want to do the Chef's table on the Star. Should I mention it, or just suck it up and skip dessert if it's chocolate?

thanks.

Definitely mention it. Each dessert was done custom by the pastry chef. They were works of art. None of ours contained chocolate, so I am sure if the others do, they can accomodate without a problem.

If you let the MaitreD' know your needs, they LOVE to help you out.

DW and I aren't drinkers, but they made sure that the beverages for us were just as complimentary to the meal as the wine selections were for the remainder of the group.

Pastry Chef's adore a challenge!

Hi All,

Part of the point of doing the chefs table is to get great food the way you want it, my wife does not eat fish while I love it, have never had any problems, when you have your interview just explain what you like do not like etc, we have had people with a range of dislikes but more importantly food alergies, like those folk you do not want wine to problem., the ship just cooked a few extra items.

yours Shogun

We are currently on the Ruby where we did the Chef's Table last week (its a 10 day cruise). Our main course was the Trio of Meats and you could select any of the various meats with no limitations. This was our 2nd Chefs Table (the first time was on the Emerald) and it was great! The food served in the galley was again very gourmet including a steak tartar, caviar and a few other tidbits. If you have lots of personal preferences you would probably be better served going to a decent restaurant (or one of the alternative restaurants on-board) and ordering off a menu. The Chef's Table is designed in a similar way as "Degustations" offered in good French restaurants where you put yourselves into the hands of the chef! They do accomodate vegetarians and allergies, but asking for personalized dinners defeats the purpose. The Maitre'd did tell us that they currently use 3 different menus for their Chef's Table so it is always a roll of the dice as to what you will be served.

Hank

We are currently on the Ruby where we did the Chef's Table last week (its a 10 day cruise). Our main course was the Trio of Meats and you could select any of the various meats with no limitations. This was our 2nd Chefs Table (the first time was on the Emerald) and it was great! The food served in the galley was again very gourmet including a steak tartar, caviar and a few other tidbits. If you have lots of personal preferences you would probably be better served going to a decent restaurant (or one of the alternative restaurants on-board) and ordering off a menu. The Chef's Table is designed in a similar way as "Degustations" offered in good French restaurants where you put yourselves into the hands of the chef! They do accomodate vegetarians and allergies, but asking for personalized dinners defeats the purpose. The Maitre'd did tell us that they currently use 3 different menus for their Chef's Table so it is always a roll of the dice as to what you will be served.

Hank

Enjoy the Ruby Hank,we just got off on the the 4th...we were in R710,hope you're enjoying yourself...we miss her bigtime!

We also got truffles and foie gras with our caviar (not in the same appertizer of course) on the Diamond last week :D

Dessert was a toffee creation - sensational

Chocolate was on the strawberries that were served separately - in cute little tuxedos

We also had the trio of meats

One of the ladies in our group wore open toe shoes because she didn't want to clash with her outfit as she only had runners that were closed toe - she was told to change ;) Your feet are under the table anyway...no one sees them. And the restaurant crowd staring at your salivating are looking at the food, not the feet :p

I don't drink and it wasn't a problem. It's all about THE FOOD :p and the experience :D

Highly recommended.

I have avoided Chef's Table so far. I love Truffles and Pate and Caviar and Carpaccio. On that other thread where everyone raves about Pasta AlFredo and other favorite Princess dishes no one ever mentions Caviar or Pate or Carpaccio! I wonder whether those who respond to that Princess Favorite thread are not the one who go for Chef's Table! In so many shared tables in Traditional Dining, I have been the only one to order Caviar or Pate(e) or even Lamb. Now Caviar is no longer even served as an appetizer. Chef's Table should be what the Chef wants to prepare! I wish someone would mention one or two names of the "high-end" wines (not Champagne) that was served at Chef's Table. If it were Luce or Opus I will sign up and drink $75 worth wine alone and forget about the food!

We also got truffles and foie gras with our caviar (not in the same appertizer of course) on the Diamond last week :D

Highly recommended.

Archived