Chef's Table - main course question

crazygirl!

I don't eat meat or poultry, but I do eat fish. I told this to the Maitre D' when we had our group meeting before the Chef's Table. There was plenty for me to eat in the appetizers in the galley and also I was able to eat most of the courses until the main course. Each time, the main was the trio of meats and each time the chef prepared a special seafood dish for me.

Chloedmom: I answered your solo traveler question in your other post.

I have avoided Chef's Table so far. I love Truffles and Pate and Caviar and Carpaccio. On that other thread where everyone raves about Pasta AlFredo and other favorite Princess dishes no one ever mentions Caviar or Pate or Carpaccio! I wonder whether those who respond to that Princess Favorite thread are not the one who go for Chef's Table! In so many shared tables in Traditional Dining, I have been the only one to order Caviar or Pate(e) or even Lamb. Now Caviar is no longer even served as an appetizer. Chef's Table should be what the Chef wants to prepare! I wish someone would mention one or two names of the "high-end" wines (not Champagne) that was served at Chef's Table. If it were Luce or Opus I will sign up and drink $75 worth wine alone and forget about the food!

I don't understand why you've "avoided" it since the Chef's Table is about the only place you're likely to see pate, caviar, and carpaccio on Princess anymore. . . . I don't recall the exact wine labels after this much time but they were all around the $50-70 bottle range, I think. No Opus 1 -- not hardly, for only $75.

I admit that the posts on "customization" of menu has put me off. If the Maitre'D would stand their ground on serving a true Chef's Table, I would sign up straightaway. But the need not to offend anyone appears to be norm on part of the Maitre D' (same as enforcing dress codes). We were on Ruby B2B and we could have easily signed up. We will be soon on another B2B giving us another opportunity. I would love to see a set menu applicable to all possibly with a few options. Yes -- we love the tasting menus that quite a few restaurants offer in SF -- $85 to $100 plus tax and tip with another $65 or so if wine pairing is included. But then we choose the restaurant whose tasting menu we like.

I don't understand why you've "avoided" it since the Chef's Table is about the only place you're likely to see pate, caviar, and carpaccio on Princess anymore. . . . I don't recall the exact wine labels after this much time but they were all around the $50-70 bottle range, I think. No Opus 1 -- not hardly, for only $75.

I admit that the posts on "customization" of menu has put me off. If the Maitre'D would stand their ground on serving a true Chef's Table, I would sign up straightaway. But the need not to offend anyone appears to be norm on part of the Maitre D' (same as enforcing dress codes). We were on Ruby B2B and we could have easily signed up. We will be soon on another B2B giving us another opportunity. I would love to see a set menu applicable to all possibly with a few options. Yes -- we love the tasting menus that quite a few restaurants offer in SF -- $85 to $100 plus tax and tip with another $65 or so if wine pairing is included. But then we choose the restaurant whose tasting menu we like.

It is a set menu.

I should have said set menu for "all"! This example does not sit well with me. I feel that those who are unable to eat an item in the set menu should just "pass" on those items -- no specific substitutes! Just a personal view. So I just pass on the whole Chef's Table given the format.

It is a set menu.

Each time, the main was the trio of meats and each time the chef prepared a special seafood dish for me.

Thank you everyone for your replies...I guess the debate that I have been having is that I am a big foodie and DH is not. I completely understand the idea of a Chef's Table and would be thrilled with whatever the Chef decides to present to me. However, I don't want my DH to be uncomfortable with being the only one at the table not eating, thus the reason I was asking about the appropriateness of an alternative for at least his main course (He most likely won't eat many of the appetizers either). Anyway, I just wanted to see what people thought. Thanks again!

While the food is very good and the service is excellent, it isn't a "true" Chef's table in the sense of some of the dinners I've been to on land.

Chef's Table sounds very interesting and we are foodies, but I agree that it isn't really a true chef's table if the menu is being adjusted for the passengers. Traditionally, the chef selects what he/she wants to prepare based on seasonality, specialty, and his/her preference. I understand being aware of food allergies, but it seems like a bit of coddling to make so many changes. Why eat at the chef's table if you aren't truly letting the chef select the menu? That's part of the fun!!

Maybe that sounds harsh ... personally, we have avoided the chef's table, because my DH is somewhat picky (he is also a non veal eater, and he will only eat certain types of shellfish).

Same as whatever the dress code is in the dining rooms that evening.

except you have to wear "closed" toe shoes.

When we got on the Star last month, I called the dine-line right away. I had a group of 16 wanting to go. They took the first 10 in my group and then had 4 more chef's tables on the 30 day cruise. So the others go to go on the next one.

My 12 year old daughter wants to be a chef. She adores food, is quite sophisticated, and wants to attend the chef's table. She eats everything, and especially enjoys unusual foods. Do they allow children? Would we feel out of place? Obviously, she won't have the wine pairings, but other than that would it be appropriate? Four hours of dining would be fun for her, not a bore!

[quote name='MountainMom']My 12 year old daughter wants to be a chef. She adores food, is quite sophisticated, and wants to attend the chef's table. She eats everything, and especially enjoys unusual foods. Do they allow children? Would we feel out of place? Obviously, she won't have the wine pairings, but other than that would it be appropriate? Four hours of dining would be fun for her, not a bore![/quote]

Yes, she would be welcome and it would be the highlight of her cruise.

[quote name='sultan_sfo']I have avoided Chef's Table so far. I love Truffles and Pate and Caviar and Carpaccio. On that other thread where everyone raves about Pasta AlFredo and other favorite Princess dishes no one ever mentions Caviar or Pate or Carpaccio! I wonder whether those who respond to that Princess Favorite thread are not the one who go for Chef's Table! In so many shared tables in Traditional Dining, I have been the only one to order Caviar or Pate(e) or even Lamb. Now Caviar is no longer even served as an appetizer. Chef's Table should be what the Chef wants to prepare! I wish someone would mention one or two names of the "high-end" wines (not Champagne) that was served at Chef's Table. If it were Luce or Opus I will sign up and drink $75 worth wine alone and forget about the food![/quote]
Last week when we did it on Grand Princess only just over a mouthful of wine at a time was poured - they did refill but not fast or frequently.
For 11 passengers there were a total of ( in addition to several bottles of Piper Heidsieck champagne) 2 bottles of Chardonnay, 2 bottles of Californian Cabernet Sauvignon and a half bottle of excellent dessert wine.
We felt that it was a good experience but that they were somewhat stingy on the wine at dinner.

[quote name='m steve']Did they serve Piper Heidsieck or Heidsieck Monopole. Different vintners but equal quality.[/QUOTE]

We were served Heidsieck Monopole which tasted very flat,very little persistance.
The white was Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio (got to be the most overrated wine wine in all the world) and the red was Murrieta's Well Meritage which must have been effected by the ocean motion because it had zero finish despite an inviting nose.

At $49/bottle,I can't imagine them moving very many bottles of this wine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...anyone forking over big $$$ for these slow-moving,high-end wines is setting themselves up for dissapointment.
I'd rather stick with a less expensive faster-moving wine and take my chances that it has seen less time on the ocean...

Griller: Thanks for the Chef's Table wine details.

[quote name='Griller']Last week when we did it on Grand Princess only just over a mouthful of wine at a time was poured - they did refill but not fast or frequently.
For 11 passengers there were a total of ( in addition to several bottles of Piper Heidsieck champagne) 2 bottles of Chardonnay, 2 bottles of Californian Cabernet Sauvignon and a half bottle of excellent dessert wine.
We felt that it was a good experience but that they were somewhat stingy on the wine at dinner.[/quote]

And way overpriced in the U.S.! But bargain priced in Mexico and some Italian Ports.

[quote name='cruiserforlife']
The white was [B]Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio[/B] (got to be the most [B]overrated[/B] wine wine in all the world) dissapointment.
[/quote]

Archived