Butler sevice?

dwelsh

There was a long discussion some time ago regarding the roll out of butler service in all suites, due to be completed by this month.

To frequent floaters - Is the service a real enhancement of the SS experience or is the service just a new connotation for room attendant?

There was a long discussion some time ago regarding the roll out of butler service in all suites, due to be completed by this month.

To frequent floaters - Is the service a real enhancement of the SS experience or is the service just a new connotation for room attendant?

WE had a butler once in the Grand Suite--the only thing she did was handle our laundry and cleaning--I'm sure she would have done more, but we just don't require it--I'll bet it's just a souped up room attendent--one thing that would help would be dinner reservations in the special rooms! Don

Their Butlers are some of the best trained in the business....need a reservation at the specialty restaurant...ask them. Need a button sewn on or flowers, or invites for a suite cocktail party along with planning, preping and acting as your private bar tender...they are there for what ever you ask....BUT you have to ask.

We were in a Veranda suite on the first sailing of the Wind to have butler service in all suites last month. Our butler was new to Silversea (from HAL), very accommodating, but the only time we saw him was for room service. In fact, we didn't meet him until the second day of our voyage.

We also had a very efficient, friendly and hardworking cabin stewardess who kept our suite immaculate. She did not have an assistant, but probably could have used one.

I would say that that there was no appreciable difference from our previous Silversea cruises. We have always booked Veranda suites, so I can't compare the new butler service with that service the larger suites may have received in the past. We have had butler service on other cruiselines.

I think the cabin stewardesses are probably carrying a heavier workload under the new system, and that the butlers are a marketing gimmick.

Our butler was new to Silversea (from HAL), very accommodating, but the only time we saw him was for room service. In fact, we didn't meet him until the second day of our voyage.

We also had a very efficient, friendly and hardworking cabin stewardess who kept our suite immaculate. She did not have an assistant, but probably could have used one..

From what you have said, it APPEARS to be the following: In the past they used to have a pair of stewardess and assistant to clean and look after say eight to ten cabins. Now they have one stewardess alone doing five cabins, and a "butler" overseeing perhaps twenty cabins. Can this be an improvement? Only time will tell.

From what you have said, it APPEARS to be the following: In the past they used to have a pair of stewardess and assistant to clean and look after say eight to ten cabins. Now they have one stewardess alone doing five cabins, and a "butler" overseeing perhaps twenty cabins. Can this be an improvement? Only time will tell.

I find it difficult to imagine how the butler person would be able to efficiently manage 20 cabins. Unpack and pack maybe 40-60 suitcases, serve meals as advertised, clean shoes and whatever else they may do.It boggles the mind!! Just like a speeded up Mickey Mouse cartoon of yesteryear.:D:D:)

I find it difficult to imagine how the butler person would be able to efficiently manage 20 cabins. Unpack and pack maybe 40-60 suitcases, serve meals as advertised, clean shoes and whatever else they may do.It boggles the mind!! Just like a speeded up Mickey Mouse cartoon of yesteryear.:D:D:)

In the previous thread, most people didn't want their butler to unpack or pack for them!

It would be great if those folks who are in suites with the new service (not in those where they have always provided service but those suites where the butler was not available before) to post their actual experiences. I suspect if we can get around 20 posts of actual experiences we'll get a good feel for this. Getting posts from those who have sailed Silversea before this service commenced would be helpful since they will be able to note if the new service has impacts on the other functions such as the room stewardess.

Keith

It would be great if those folks who are in suites with the new service (not in those where they have always provided service but those suites where the butler was not available before) to post their actual experiences. I suspect if we can get around 20 posts of actual experiences we'll get a good feel for this. Getting posts from those who have sailed Silversea before this service commenced would be helpful since they will be able to note if the new service has impacts on the other functions such as the room stewardess. Keith

YES! Look forward to those details before we sail July 1, 2010, from Copenhagen to the Norway Coast. Know Keith is sailing Silversea in August for the Baltics. With more first-hand reports, it will help all of us know what to expect, how to use this new "service" and determine how much is "reality" versus marketing hype.

Congratulations to Keith being over the 15,000 posts level. WOW! That's lots. Is my memory correct that Keith went over the 10,000 level back in March?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Its a touch amusing to me that people who conclude this is a marketing gimmick are those who haven't sailed yet on one of the Silversea ships with a butler.

On our last cruise (last month) we had a butler. He was fantastic--did more than the usual cabin attendant. He packed our suitcases for the both of us, while we were at dinner the last night. We came back to our room with beautifully packed suitcases and nothing to do but close the suitcases and put them outside the door.

He had a card he gave us, with his name. Anytime we wanted anything, he arranged it. He even had ready my loose leaf tea in a ceramic teapot each morning.

I was very pleased with the service.

I'm with you on this one MuseCruiser. Why not just give it a wait and see before being so negative. And, if you don't want the butler to touch your suitcases, don't have him unpack and pack for you. There are some of us who will request it and appreciate the service.

Archived