Dawn Princess Inside Cabin Sizes

bennob66

We are looking at booking the May 8th 2010 Fiji Cruise from Sydney Aust on the Dawn Princess. We are considering an inside cabin due to the big differential in the extra cost for an outside one. I am unsure as to whether all the inside cabins are the same size, as when you go to the princess web site it states the sizes are 135 Sq Ft up to 170 Sq Ft. Which cabins are more than 135 as the layout seems to be the same for all? Are the gradings based on where the cabin is located? Is there much benefit on being on a higher deck? We booked on the lowest deck on the Legend Of The Seas last time but this was outside and had to put up with a constant hum of the engines through the pillow all night but this was due to the fact that the Legend has it engines midships!!! Any advice would be great as the travel agents have no idea and P&O in Australia was not much help either as they just sell the cruises.

Cheers

Benno

I would guess the 170 sq ft inside cabins are the accessible staterooms for those that need the use of a wheelchair. When Princess states cabin sizes, they do include the regular and accessible sizes. I think all of the Dawn's inside staterooms are pretty close to the 150 sq ft size, that is unless you are in need of a wheelchair then you could book the larger accessible stateroom.

FYI-The site I check for stateroom sizes shows that the insides on the Dawn run between 147-155 sq ft. (which is only 8 sq ft difference between all of them). So, not sure which would be correct here unless the site I check is for non-accessible stateroom sizes, maybe.

I have sailed on the Sun Princess (sister to the Dawn) and in an inside cabin; yes, they truly are tiny! But if your cruise is only for a week or 10 days, it is a doable as long as you know how small 150 sq. ft really is!

If the size is really small for you, consider the outside cabins (and even those I find smaller than on other lines)

We have actually sailed the Dawn and sister ship Sun (twice). We always book inside cabins, but on the Riviera deck. We like being on the same deck as the pool. We do 10 day itineraries, and have never had a problem with our cabin. Yes, they are small, but how much time do you actually spend in your cabin? I say go for it and use the extra $$ for other things.

Having done this a few times, some results I have found: Category M and N rectangles are the smallest ones. Only one nightstand between the beds (in twin) and nowhere to put it if pushed together. The rhomboids are next smallest, in various locations. They are the same pretty much from category to category. Larger yet are the rectangles in categories other than M and N (two beds and two nightstands wide). Handicapped accessible are the largest. But you wouldn't book those unless you needed it, right? :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise!

Hi,

I would say go for it, concerning the lowest priced inside room.

Back when the Dawn was a new ship, my more elderly parents had one of the lowest priced inside rooms on the Dawn, and they were happy with it. I thought their room was plenty nice.

About your question concerning lower or upper decks: to me, it comes down to where you will like to spend most of your time, onboard. If you like the sun deck, the pool, the gym, and the buffet, go for a room on a higher deck. Please know that it is a long, long way from the lowest deck with staterooms up to the buffet and the sun deck! A long way! (On the other hand, if you take the stairs each time, from the lower deck, you won't need the gym or the stair master!)

Another thought is: if you spend lots of time in the traditional dining rooms, and on the promenade deck, then go for a lower deck room.

Plus, here's one more thought: there's always the possibility that Princess will come thru with a surprise upgrade. When I have had the lowest priced rooms, Princess has come thru with upgrades, three times out of four, including on the Dawn and the Sun.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are looking at booking the May 8th 2010 Fiji Cruise from Sydney Aust on the Dawn Princess. We are considering an inside cabin due to the big differential in the extra cost for an outside one. I am unsure as to whether all the inside cabins are the same size, as when you go to the princess web site it states the sizes are 135 Sq Ft up to 170 Sq Ft. Which cabins are more than 135 as the layout seems to be the same for all? Are the gradings based on where the cabin is located? Is there much benefit on being on a higher deck? We booked on the lowest deck on the Legend Of The Seas last time but this was outside and had to put up with a constant hum of the engines through the pillow all night but this was due to the fact that the Legend has it engines midships!!! Any advice would be great as the travel agents have no idea and P&O in Australia was not much help either as they just sell the cruises.

Cheers

Benno

You can always have the bed configuration changed to twin beds. Gives a little more room for movement.

We've not been on the Dawn Princess, but we've spent 14 nights on the Sea Princess and 40 on the Sun Princess (2 cruises, 20 nights each), all in inside cabins.

Obviously, we found the inside cabins completely satisfactory (and on those ships, I would NOT pay extra for a balcony cut from the bulkhead).

I have two suggestions: First, book an inside off one of the short hallways that run perpendicular to the length of the ship. We really appreciated the longer vanity in these cabins. Second, have the beds set up as twins. The area between the two beds is a place for one person to dress while the other dresses in the vanity area. And no one has to crawl off the end of the bed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Happy cruising!

I have sailed on the Sun Princess (sister to the Dawn) and in an inside cabin; yes, they truly are tiny! But if your cruise is only for a week or 10 days, it is a doable as long as you know how small 150 sq. ft really is!

If the size is really small for you, consider the outside cabins (and even those I find smaller than on other lines)

We sailed for 76 days on the Sun princess (sister ship) in B317 which was a fabulous cabin loads of room as we had the twin bed configuration and were so pleased with it we asked for the same cabin on the Dawn Princess when we went around New Zealand I think it is a level up from the basic inside (cheapest) you book.

Cheers

Benno

Just returned from 54 nights on Dawn Princess. The inside cabins are very small. With double bed configuration you cannot walk between one side of bed and closet, you have to climb over the edge of the bed. I would have twin bed configuration which should give more room as all the spare room is concentrated in one place. I am glad I am a solo traveller as I am sure I would have had issues if I was sharing this space. However in all reality, I spent very little time in my cabin, Deck 14 became my balcony.

Cheers

Benno

You may have misread. Here's the description for Dawn from the Princess web site:

"Two beds which make up into a queen-size bed. TV, refrigerator, spacious closet. Approximately 135 to 148 square feet."

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/dp/staterooms/index.jsp

we had this inside cabin on the Sun and no way would I describe it as roomy. at the time we had double bed and if there was a next time on this ship, I would ask for the twin concept.

For a longer than 7 day cruise I personally would opt for an oceanview cabin, just to be able to look out.

JMO

Archived