Purchasing some Rum

witneys7

Ok, I apologize for my complete ignorance on the subject of purchasing liquor, but I have never even bought so much as a beer before so I am completely clueless. Anyway, my friend would like me to buy her just a small bottle of Captain Morgans while I am in the Cayman Islands and I am wondering where I can purchase a bottle? Are the bottles expensive and do I need to 'declare' it when I get back on the ship? I just have no idea whatsoever and you all are so friendly and helpful I knew you could help me out. Thanks so much~

In Grand Cayman, the liquor store we purchased from delivered it to our ship (and delivered to us on the last night of our cruise.) We couldn't even carry it out of the store with us...not sure if this is true at all the liquor stores, but we were at the Tortuga Rum Company store.

On our Legend Cruise last may this was one of the funny stories I like to tell. We purchased the Rum Runners ( http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com ) with the intent to purchase some Tortuga Rum and sneak it back on board for the remainder of the cruise. What we found is that, believe it or not, many people try to do this so in order to combat this it seems the Cayman Islands are working in concert with the cruise ship authorities. This is our experience:

1. All of the tourist stores in the main shopping district where the Tenders drop off in Georgetown will allow you to purchase a bottle, but they will ship it to the ship for you. None would allow us to carry the bottle out.

2. We ended up walking inland away from the tourist zone (GC is VERY Safe) and found a few Quickie Marts and stores. We were able to buy a bottle there, I wish I could give you more specific directions.

3. I then lugged around the bottle for our last hour or so onshore.

4. There is bathroom facilities at the tender pier, went in there, found an open stall and poured my rum into the rum runner flask. That is when I noticed the 2 dozen empty bottles stacked up on the ground in the stall from people who had done this prior to me. Exited stall and looked around and saw nothing but men pouring alcohol into tall water bottles (Grey Goose Vodka) or rum into rum runners....wish I had a camera, well I did but if I snapped a photo I would have been threatened with physical harm I'm sure. Stuffed Rum Runner in back pack and back to the ship no problems.

Oh, one other thing, buy your alcohol early, if you do find a shop that will let you carry a bottle out, get it early, I know it will be a pain in the butt lugging it around but if you wait until late in the afternoon its a mob scene and the lines are long. Good Luck and YMMV.

We wanted to buy some rum, but didn't want to purchase it early in the day (didn't know they send it directly to the ship). Waited until it was time go get back on the ship ... the shops would not sell us any, as there was no time for them to get it to the ship. Next time, I'll make sure I purchase early in the day.

Love the story of the rum runner :D Jan

The best advantage to buying liquor is duty free pricing. But, to buy at duty free prices you must show that you are leaving the country immediately. The retailer is responsible for delivering the liquor to you (or in this case to your ship) once you are definitely and finally leaving the country.

For alcohol purchases for consumption on island (or for pouring into flasks and use elsewhere) the government imposes an import duty which is reflected in the price. Cayman imposes quite a high rate of duty - and it just went up.

So... to prevent island residents from claiming to be on a cruise ship every time they want to pay the lower duty-free price, the requirement is that you cannot carry a duty free bottle out of the store with you. Duty free sales will only be by delivery to your ship. Because teh retailers need time to make these deliveries, you should buy early in the day.

stop a few miles away from your house on your way home and buy a bottle of Capt' Morgan

make up a story

less work ... may even cost less

I travel a lot

I buy the presents on the way home from the airport unless they fit in my carry-on (which is why I turned my son on to collecting key chains . . . small and easy to stuff. 'fridge magnets are easily as good. . .)

stop a few miles away from your house on your way home and buy a bottle of Capt' Morgan

make up a story

less work ... may even cost less

I travel a lot

I buy the presents on the way home from the airport unless they fit in my carry-on (which is why I turned my son on to collecting key chains . . . small and easy to stuff. 'fridge magnets are easily as good. . .)

I'll keep that suggestion in mind. Funny you should mention magnets. That is the one and only thing I personally buy. They're small and cheap and they make me happy when I see them on my fridge.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived