11:15a.m. Flight Out of Fort Lauderdale

coops

If everything goes smothely, you will be OK. If however, the ship is late, immigration is slow and security is a disaster, you wwill be in trouble. Factor into your thinking, you will have difficulty getting on a later flight if you miss the one you are ticketed for. You may alsohave to buy full fare one ticket(s) to get home.

Is this to early of a flight. We usually take a 4p.m. flight out but would like to get home sooner plus the flights are cheaper.

Thanks ,

Dawn

Dawn, I consider that a PERFECT flight time out of FLL. No rushing around, no trying to get off the ship first. I would book it in a split second! ;)

Thanks for the info, It is for Emerald on a Sunday last week in April. Guess I better do the later flight don't want to take any chances.
Book the 11:15am flight. Unless there's something extremely unusual holding up the ship, you shouldn't have any problems making that flight. I've disembarked in FLL many times and only once, when disembarkation was delayed until 9:15am and check-in was crazy at FLL, did I make it to the gate as they were boarding the flight. Every other time, I was there in plenty of time. The end of April shouldn't be too bad as I believe it's after Spring Break.

No problem whatsoever.

We had @ 10:15 Delta flight back in march and made it with plenty of time even though the ship was 1 1/2 LATE in returing to PE because of a tender problem @ Princess Cays. The FLL is 15 minutes from PE.

As long as you are OFF THE SHIP and in a taxi by 8:30 > 9:00am at the latest WITH YOUR LUGGAGE in hand, you will be fine.

Make sure you fill out the flight form in your room so they can asign you one of the earlier disembarkation numbers/colors.

I had an 10:10 flight moved up to 10:03 . I will be sweating it that day! They tell me if everything is on time, no problem. I hope so.

Because the airline changed the time of your flight you can change to any flight that day for no extra charge! Call.

If you experience the same problems which occurred on the Equinox on December 4, you will be in trouble. Primarily due to immigration matters many did not disembark until noon. We arrived at the pier at 12:15 and people were still leaving the ship. I am not privy to the details, but I would guess that the immigration matters involved the imposition of duties which is a very lengthy endeavor.

If you experience the same problems which occurred on the Equinox on December 4, you will be in trouble. Primarily due to immigration matters many did not disembark until noon. We arrived at the pier at 12:15 and people were still leaving the ship. I am not privy to the details, but I would guess that the immigration matters involved the imposition of duties which is a very lengthy endeavor.
This is a highly unusual circumstance and not one anyone should plan on. Otherwise, the cruiseline would recommend no one book a flight before 3pm. It comes under the heading "s**t happens"; kind of like the storm in the Northeast now. Yes, it can happen but is it usual or happen even occasionally? No.

On Dec. 14, we, together with others, had some problems with customs; and, while they were not expecially significant, we were not cleared until after 10:00 A.M., and there were other folks behind us. As a matter of fact, we tipped our porter extra because of the long wait. If you will read the Celebrity boards, you will notice the immigration problems on Dec. 4, where some people were still clearing the ship around or after noon.

We did walk off on December 12th and were at the airport at 8am. Wanted to avoid taxi problems as Oasis was in port that day. It was very easy to get a cab as there was a line of cabs waiting. Security lines at the airport were fairly short at that time of the morning. We spent way too many hours at FLL as our flight did not leave until 11:40. We could have easily made a 9am flight and I would book a flight in the 10:30 time slot anytime.

We've also had flights from FLL at between 11:00 and 11:40 and never had a problem. We disembark as early as we can and catch a taxi to the airport and generally are waiting in the terminal by 9:30 or earlier. I would make an exception if our cruise was a TA ending in FLL since disembarkation's seem to take longer on those.

I've knowingly booked an 8:50 flight out of FLL because all the other flights that day are 400-500 more each. I figure that it's either going to be a miraculous success, or.... a spectacular failure. I was feeling confident until I realized that we get back on a Saturday, and looking at the port schedule for PE, there are 2 princess ships that day as well as the Oasis amongst others.

I'm now predicting SPECTACULAR FAILURE! :) The only good thing is that due to my status with DL, I can do a same-day confirmed change free of charge :) I almost hope I miss the flight.

I've knowingly booked an 8:50 flight out of FLL because all the other flights that day are 400-500 more each. I figure that it's either going to be a miraculous success, or.... a spectacular failure. I was feeling confident until I realized that we get back on a Saturday, and looking at the port schedule for PE, there are 2 princess ships that day as well as the Oasis amongst others.

I'm now predicting SPECTACULAR FAILURE! :) The only good thing is that due to my status with DL, I can do a same-day confirmed change free of charge :) I almost hope I miss the flight.

Can you imagine what spending Saturday at FLL will be like? :eek:

Relieve your stress: rebook the same flight for Sunday morning.

A hotel will cost a lot less than the later time fares.

I like a challenge, and these things don't stress me out. I went into the flight booking knowing it could go either one of 2 ways... "miraculous success" or "spectacular failure". If I end up having to buy a full fare tickets so be it, although I believe that with my DL status I'll get on at some point.

an 8:50 flight.... you might reconsider that one. I was in FLL last month and though I was off the ship quickly I wouldn't want to try to make an 8:50. I will say I was the third group called to get off at 8:15 and was at the airport by 9. But still, to make an 8:50 you've have to be AT the airport no later than about 8-8:15 and then it would still be tight. the only GOOD news is that if you miss the 8:50 they may be kind enough to put you on standby for a later flight.

We have always made our noon time flights out of FLL with no problem. 11:15 would seem kind of tight to me but certainly worth it but take into consideration what day you are disembarking, other ships in port, etc.

Even on a good day, it has always been a madhouse at the cab stands.

One suggestion if you are flying Southwest... last time we were disembarking the Ruby (fantastic ship) and right outside the disembarkation doors there were some Southwest agents... for $10, you could get your boarding passes and check your luggage.... well worth it to avoid the LONG lines at the airport.

I'm jealous...our next cruise isn't until March (on the Ruby again)... but it will be greatly appreciated after a long winter in the Northeast.

We always book our flights anywhere between 11:00 & 12:00 departure times. Never had a problem. Although, we tend to fly in the fall, and normally not too many ships in port on the same day. Who knows now with the Oasis....

Got off the Crown Princess on Dec. 12 in Fort Lauderdale using the self-disembarkation. They let us off the ship at 7:10 am. We were thru Customs, grabbed a taxi, and checking our bags in at FLL at 7:30 am. Cleared Security and were at our gate at 7:45 for a 8:50 am flight. This is the only time we've ever booked a flight before 11:00 to return home - but we had no trouble at all (and Oasis was in port wrapping up it's first 7 day cruise).

Archived