poss flight problems

photoman100169

I live in Minneapolis and we are flying out (I pray) on Saturday morning at 6am thru Chicago to New Orleans to catch the Triumph which sails at 4pm on Saturday. We are SUPPOSED to be in New Orleans by 10:45am - so I'm hopeful. I am freaking out a little however the storm has just started and is supposed to quiet down by Saturday. I'm thinking if you are coming through MSP on Saturday you should be okay, but also agree if you have the option to go early you should.

We looked at the option of leaving early and were unable to fly on Christmas Day due to other family commitments, so took our chances. Although I'm now somewhat regretting that decision, I think the weather in Minneapolis will be worse on Christmas day than on Saturday, and getting out Christmas Day likely would not have happened the way things are looking now.

Hope we both make our cruises!

I'm thinking we should just switch cruises. lol. I hope we both make it in time

This is directly from Carnival's website regarding their Fly-Away (cruise air) program:

"If you should experience flight problems along the way, Carnival will be responsible to fly you to your destination, including additional flights and/or hotels at no cost to you"

I agree with what you're saying. The person who is bashing the Fly Aweigh program isn't realizing that Carnival is trying to AVOID the problem of them missing their flight by acting ahead of time. If they DO miss it, they will still honor their agreement to fly them to the first port free.

well my brother in law said that delta told him that if we change our flight the day of then it will be free of charge. So we have decided to leave about midnight christmas night and get there by 4am and see what our options are going to be. Hopefully this all works out.:eek:

Good luck. I'm glad you changed your plans. I am watching the news now and the top story is about the weather that is expected to hit the midwest. I hope you don't have to fly right into it, but the earlier you start out, the better chance you'll have of getting there in time.

Hopefully, you'll have plenty of time to relax once you get on the ship. If you arrive in Baltimore earlier, there is plenty to do and see at the Inner Harbor.

Usually our winters here in Maryland are pretty non-eventful, but not this year. We have had two snowstorms already, one record breaking and now we have freezing rain expected. It should be cleared up by Saturday though.

I live in Mpls we are in the middle of a huge snow storm that started today an is supposed to last until Saturday afternoon. We are expected to get anywhere from 12 to 20 inches. If I were you I would change my plans so they dont go through MPLS. They are already canceling flights in and out of here. Good Luck

Good luck. I'm glad you changed your plans. I am watching the news now and the top story is about the weather that is expected to hit the midwest. I hope you don't have to fly right into it, but the earlier you start out, the better chance you'll have of getting there in time.

Hopefully, you'll have plenty of time to relax once you get on the ship. If you arrive in Baltimore earlier, there is plenty to do and see at the Inner Harbor.

Usually our winters here in Maryland are pretty non-eventful, but not this year. We have had two snowstorms already, one record breaking and now we have freezing rain expected. It should be cleared up by Saturday though.

Well we will hopefully be there the day before we leave on the ship so I am hoping to explore the inner harbor the morning off. We are staying and the holiday inn inner harbor. Is that nearby to anything worth while?

I live in Mpls we are in the middle of a huge snow storm that started today an is supposed to last until Saturday afternoon. We are expected to get anywhere from 12 to 20 inches. If I were you I would change my plans so they dont go through MPLS. They are already canceling flights in and out of here. Good Luck

As of right now, I don't know that I have that option. Like I said we are going to get to the airport extremely early and see what our options are.

well my brother in law said that delta told him that if we change our flight the day of then it will be free of charge. So we have decided to leave about midnight christmas night and get there by 4am and see what our options are going to be. Hopefully this all works out.:eek:

What if there are no seats available ? you are not the only person trying to possibly catch that flight. Pay the price now, know you will have your seats and be less stressed out on christmas day. ;)

Well we will hopefully be there the day before we leave on the ship so I am hoping to explore the inner harbor the morning off. We are staying and the holiday inn inner harbor. Is that nearby to anything worth while?

Lots to do in the Inner Harbor and great places to eat. They have a science museum and an aquarium. As others have said, Maryland usually has calm winters with some snow. We have gotten hit twice. The storm last weekend still has left us with side streets that are not passable. The main streets do not have all the lanes cleared. Now they are expecting rain and ice. I lived in Maryland on the DC border about 40 miles from Baltimore.

This is directly from Carnival's website regarding their Fly-Away (cruise air) program:

"If you should experience flight problems along the way, Carnival will be responsible to fly you to your destination, including additional flights and/or hotels at no cost to you"

This is also from the Carnival website:

If, due to any cause beyond our control, we are unable to arrange for air travel (for example, because of capacity controls placed upon us by airlines due to the types of fares under which we book), or the air travel we arrange is unavailable or otherwise fails to materialize, our liability will be limited to refunding the air add-on amount paid to us. We assume no liability for any acts or omissions of any airline, including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, reroutings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or computer errors.

That is quite a loophole! However, again as has been discussed on other threads, Carnival's Custom Fly Away program does seem to offer more assurance than it did in the past -- but, again, as has been observed, at a good deal more cost than buying airfare directly from the carrier. It is a hidden form of insurance. Nothing wrong with that -- but Carnival's Fly Away program in the past did not offer such assurances. Hope their Custom Fly Away program works better for the customer ... that way everyone comes out ahead.

In most circumstances, the combination of insurance plus air travel booked directly with the airline is likely to be the most cost effective and least risky scenario.

As of right now, I don't know that I have that option. Like I said we are going to get to the airport extremely early and see what our options are.

There will be no options if you wait till you get to the airport. If no other options are available (now..like flying thru Atlanta instead of the storm), you have to go with crossed fingers. Future plans....always travel with insurance this time of year. Also, flying with cruise air guarantees nothing....no guarantee to get you to next port. Been there done that.. good luck:)

I also just found out that our air was NOT booked through carnival. and carnival called again for the second time today and told my BIL that we should book a flight for the day before...lol.

It is pretty standard to fly in the day before the cruise IF YOU ARE FLYING FROM THE WEST COAST TO THE EAST COAST - because of the three-hour time difference. If you had booked air through Carnival, this is what they would have done. (9 am in Fresno is 12 noon in Baltimore). Minneapolis is supposed to get whammied with some big-time blizzardy weather today, too. Last year at this very time, it took me three days to fly from Birmingham to Portland, OR because of very bad weather. (Nightmare trip!) One problem you may encounter when changing planes in MSP is that the incoming plane (which will transport you) may not make it in, or may be very late arriving. Make sure you bring a carry-on with a couple extra changes of (winter) clothes. I don't want to "bah-humbug" your Holiday spirits, but best to be prepared! Really hope that all of you make it, and that you have a wonderful cruise!

It is pretty standard to fly in the day before the cruise IF YOU ARE FLYING FROM THE WEST COAST TO THE EAST COAST - because of the three-hour time difference. If you had booked air through Carnival, this is what they would have done. (9 am in Fresno is 12 noon in Baltimore). Minneapolis is supposed to get whammied with some big-time blizzardy weather today, too. Last year at this very time, it took me three days to fly from Birmingham to Portland, OR because of very bad weather. (Nightmare trip!) One problem you may encounter when changing planes in MSP is that the incoming plane (which will transport you) may not make it in, or may be very late arriving. Make sure you bring a carry-on with a couple extra changes of (winter) clothes. I don't want to "bah-humbug" your Holiday spirits, but best to be prepared! Really hope that all of you make it, and that you have a wonderful cruise!

lol...no worries about "bah-humbuging" my holiday spirits, they are pretty much already shot. I'm am trying to keep an upbeat attitude right now and at least tell my self everything is going to work out for the best BUT I'm not holding my breath.

We talked to the airlines again today, they said they are well aware of the weather and they "know how to deal with it" whatever that means, and that we shouldn't be as worried as we are..lol..Well that makes me feel better. hahaha

We have decided to leave at midnight tomorrow night, get to the airport and see what they are predicting at that time, if there is a spot on the earlier flight then we will take it, if not we hope and pray that 24hrs is going to be enough time to figure out what to do. Heres hoping for the best:o

lol...no worries about "bah-humbuging" my holiday spirits, they are pretty much already shot. I'm am trying to keep an upbeat attitude right now and at least tell my self everything is going to work out for the best BUT I'm not holding my breath.

We talked to the airlines again today, they said they are well aware of the weather and they "know how to deal with it" whatever that means, and that we shouldn't be as worried as we are..lol..Well that makes me feel better. hahaha

We have decided to leave at midnight tomorrow night, get to the airport and see what they are predicting at that time, if there is a spot on the earlier flight then we will take it, if not we hope and pray that 24hrs is going to be enough time to figure out what to do. Heres hoping for the best:o

Well, I think you have a great attitude! One thing about the Minneapolis airport - they ARE equipped and prepared to deal with bad winter weather! (My problem was that the Portland airport was closed for three days - they're not used to heavy snow and didn't have the equipment or facilities to deal with it. Nothing could fly in or out). Just be prepared with extra clothes (and $$$) in case you get stranded. I have a feeling, though, that you will make it! Have a couple of crab cakes for me, and have the best cruise ever!

God bless you, every one!

Well, I think you have a great attitude! One thing about the Minneapolis airport - they ARE equipped and prepared to deal with bad winter weather! (My problem was that the Portland airport was closed for three days - they're not used to heavy snow and didn't have the equipment or facilities to deal with it. Nothing could fly in or out). Just be prepared with extra clothes (and $$$) in case you get stranded. I have a feeling, though, that you will make it! Have a couple of crab cakes for me, and have the best cruise ever!

God bless you, every one!

lol. thank you. the way I see it, I have been on a couple cruises already, I have never spent three days in an airport. hahahaha, what was that movie with tom hanks called, where he lived in the airport. Merry almost christmas

lol. thank you. the way I see it, I have been on a couple cruises already, I have never spent three days in an airport. hahahaha, what was that movie with tom hanks called, where he lived in the airport. Merry almost christmas

Ya know, photoman, as many flights and cruises as I've been on, I blame myself for being complacent and making one major mistake. Left on Dec. 20 last year (the very day Portland later shut down) and got as far as Chicago. Flight to Portland cancelled, so I was stuck there. (minus 20 with windchill). Spent the night in an over-priced hotel 15 miles away (recommended by SW), called Southwest at 3 am to re-book for the following day. Checked in at Midway on the 21st, and STUPIDLY checked in my roller carry-on (tired of hauling two roller bags and a laptop). Well, got as far as Boise, ID with the clothes I was wearing. And my laptop. Spent TWO nights at a (actually OK!) Super-8 with only the clothes I was wearing. Hand-washed everything, left them to dry on the heater vent, and slept naked in my jacket. Went to a Shopko in Boise to buy jeans, T-neck, undies, and socks.....so my "luggage" was a plastic shopping bag! Finally arrived in Portland on the 23rd . Took five hours to drive to Eugene. No snowplows, and small cars got high-centered trying to change lanes. Both roller bags ended up in Phoenix for the duration of my trip! (Super-8 gave me shampoo, a toothbrush and paste, and men's deodorant...so I wasn't "offensive") This was our first family Christmas in three years, and had been in the works for months. In Eugene, DD and I are same-size, so wore low-hip flared jeans (totally reminded me of my youth in the 60's) and "cutsie" chick tops (felt like I was wearing a Halloween costume!) for several days. I was afraid of going out in public for fear of being arrested for impersonating a young person! Picked up my Phoenix luggage in Portland and checked it in. I ended up back in Birmingham, and luggage ended up in Little Rock. SW Fedexed my bags the next day. I have been flying to so many places for so many years! US (all over), Canada, Hawaii, Europe, Mexico, Central America, South Pacific...! This trip was the worst! I blame myself for not being more prepared and just being "ho-hum" complacent. I will say this for SW, though - they refunded the entire cost of my flight, my hotel/food expenses, my Shopko duds, and also gave me a $300.00 flight voucher. Used it for one return flight last Spring, and one up-coming flight next month. Spent $115.00 total. It's why I only use SW now (no fee for two checked bags) and great 72-hour specials!

OK - off my soapbox now! Sorry to ramble, but it helps to be prepared! I just slacked off. I still think you'll make it, so don't give up all hope! Love your attitude, and a Very Merry almost Christmas to you as well!

PLEASE keep us advised! We're rooting for ya!

Ya know, photoman, as many flights and cruises as I've been on, I blame myself for being complacent and making one major mistake. Left on Dec. 20 last year (the very day Portland later shut down) and got as far as Chicago. Flight to Portland cancelled, so I was stuck there. (minus 20 with windchill). Spent the night in an over-priced hotel 15 miles away (recommended by SW), called Southwest at 3 am to re-book for the following day. Checked in at Midway on the 21st, and STUPIDLY checked in my roller carry-on (tired of hauling two roller bags and a laptop). Well, got as far as Boise, ID with the clothes I was wearing. And my laptop. Spent TWO nights at a (actually OK!) Super-8 with only the clothes I was wearing. Hand-washed everything, left them to dry on the heater vent, and slept naked in my jacket. Went to a Shopko in Boise to buy jeans, T-neck, undies, and socks.....so my "luggage" was a plastic shopping bag! Finally arrived in Portland on the 23rd . Took five hours to drive to Eugene. No snowplows, and small cars got high-centered trying to change lanes. Both roller bags ended up in Phoenix for the duration of my trip! (Super-8 gave me shampoo, a toothbrush and paste, and men's deodorant...so I wasn't "offensive") This was our first family Christmas in three years, and had been in the works for months. In Eugene, DD and I are same-size, so wore low-hip flared jeans (totally reminded me of my youth in the 60's) and "cutsie" chick tops (felt like I was wearing a Halloween costume!) for several days. I was afraid of going out in public for fear of being arrested for impersonating a young person! Picked up my Phoenix luggage in Portland and checked it in. I ended up back in Birmingham, and luggage ended up in Little Rock. SW Fedexed my bags the next day. I have been flying to so many places for so many years! US (all over), Canada, Hawaii, Europe, Mexico, Central America, South Pacific...! This trip was the worst! I blame myself for not being more prepared and just being "ho-hum" complacent. I will say this for SW, though - they refunded the entire cost of my flight, my hotel/food expenses, my Shopko duds, and also gave me a $300.00 flight voucher. Used it for one return flight last Spring, and one up-coming flight next month. Spent $115.00 total. It's why I only use SW now (no fee for two checked bags) and great 72-hour specials!

OK - off my soapbox now! Sorry to ramble, but it helps to be prepared! I just slacked off. I still think you'll make it, so don't give up all hope! Love your attitude, and a Very Merry almost Christmas to you as well!

PLEASE keep us advised! We're rooting for ya!

just wanted to give alittle up date. There were NOOOOOO delays we made it. I am sitting in the hotel in baltimore getting ready to go down to the port. Well as soon as I find out how to get there. lol.

Archived