Car Rentals in leHavre France

wadswatcher

Can someone tell me what car rental agencies are near the cruise port in leHavre, France? Our group is interested in renting a car to drive to the beaches of Normandy. Any advice, pro or con, on renting a car and doing our own excursion would be appreciated.

We have rented a car twice in LeHarve. Most recently 10 years or so ago.

It worked great. Each time we met a couple on the ship that joined us. Both times the total cost (rental, gas, tolls, taxi to/from ship) was about $100 or $25/person. I think we rented from Hertz. There was nothing by the ship, so we took a taxi to town to get the car. Most cars have a manual transmission, so if you want automatic make it clear when you reserve.

Can someone tell me what car rental agencies are near the cruise port in leHavre, France? Our group is interested in renting a car to drive to the beaches of Normandy. Any advice, pro or con, on renting a car and doing our own excursion would be appreciated.

Take a look at this! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=850669&highlight=car+rental+havre

Sorry.............double post. ;)

We did this in July. Rent-a-Car was the closest company right at the cruise center. Our price was 95 Euros plus 10 Euros for a GPS. I would recommend reserving in advance and taking your reservation with you. There were very few cars available the day we were in port. Others had to go into the town center to try and rent a car.

We followed the directions posted on cruise critic and it was very easy. We took the toll roads so bring Euros for that. There were several toll stops.

We were traveling with our two boys so this was so much more economical then the Princess tour when you have to pay for four. We had plenty of time at Omaha Beach, the American Cemetary, the museum, and Point du Hoc. We even stopped for lunch.

We are from Southern California and used to freeways. We found the driving to be easy. I wish you all the best--this is one of the most memorable (albeit self-guided) tours we've ever done.

As the others have said, RentaCar is the most convenient. However, they are not always the least expensive. In fact, we have rented from several places in LeHavre for substantially less money than RentaCar. The downside is that you do need to grab a taxi to the other rental car companies. My suggestion (and this is what we do) is to simply check the prices (and insurance cost...if necessary) on-line and than simply make your decision. We do a lot of driving in France (and Europe) and think its the best way to see the continent since you can go where you want, when you want, with whom you want. We do recommend that you arrange to rent a GPS with your car (unless you own one with European maps) since this makes life much easier. We love our GPS and the ability to always program the rental car office where we pick-up the car so there is never a problem finding the place on our return.

Hank

We rented a car from AutoEurope. As I recall, they wouldn't allow us to rent for just one day. But the 2 day rental was very inexpensive. We returned to Le Havre after the rental company was closed... we told them in advance and they allowed to return it to a nearby hotel parking lot. We handed over the keys to the desk clerk. I downloaded directions to get out of town (we had lots of trouble getting out of town even with the directions) as well as directions to where we were going... along with the cost of the toll roads. Driving in France was easy, the roads are great and for us, they drive on the same side of the road. We drove to Deauville, Rouen and Honfleur. We had a glorious day.

If you do go to Normandy, try to make time to see the Bayeux Tapastries... they are definitely worth seeing. We also stopped in a seaside village and bought wine to take back to the ship.

In the Cruise Center there is a car-rental location:

2009NCLJADE20406-vi.jpg

We were eight and booked a mini-bus:

2009NCLJADE20410-vi.jpg

We booked with http://www.rentacar.fr as they are the only company who is allowed to deliver right to the pier.

http://www.lehavretourisme.com/Rent_A_Car_Croisiere_2008.pdf

One disadvantage: no additional coverage can be purchased with them. But we did it seperately here:

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/WWTswitcher.php?policy=ERI&partnerID=128&partner=null

They have a great service: you just tell where you want to go - and you get a complete folder with all brochures, maps etc. - so we did not need to have anything with us.

2009NCLJADE20644-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

As the others have noted, renting a car to see the Normandy beaches, etc., can be done and it gives you lots of flexibility. If you team with another couple, it can work very well in an affordable manner. You have many options to consider. You can't do it all during this one port day, but you can do much in that time period. Here are a couple of notes on those wonderful options.

NORMANDY: This is an area with many great potentials, including its 360-mile coastline, historic cities, beaches, lush farmlands, fine cheeses, nice ciders and many Gastronomic delights! This includes calvados, an apple brandy and Camembert cheese, a local specialty. It was part of ancient Gaul, conquered by Julius Caesar in the 1st century BC. The name of Normandy is derived from the settlement and conquest of the territory by Vikings ("Northmen") from the 9th century. Architecture in upper Normandy is typified by half-timbered buildings that also recall vernacular English architecture.

For the area, here’s more tourism info: http://www.normandie-tourisme.fr

BAYEUX: This charming town is built around the magnificent Cathedral of Notre-Dame and is home to the 200-foot long Bayeux Tapestry. This is a world famous masterpiece whose cartoon-like scenes depict the epic tale of William the Conqueror's expedition conquering England in 1066 AD. We had a wonderful lunch at the Lion d’Or, a former coaching inn dating back to 1770. The town/area tourism website is: http://www.bessin-normandie.fr

WORLD WAR II LANDING BEACHES: The largest military landing in history took place in Normandy on June 6, 1944 with 130,000 troops landing that day on the beaches. Monuments, museums and bunkers are a living commemoration to the Battle of Normandy. The American Cemetery is located near Colleville-sur-Mer on a cliff overlooking Omaha Beach (one of the landing beaches of the Normandy Invasion) and the English Channel. It covers 172 acres and contains the remains of 9,387 American military dead, most of whom were killed during the invasion of Normandy and ensuing military operations. The graves face westward, towards the United States. This cemetery is very moving and is maintained in an incredibly beautiful manner.

MONT-ST-MICHEL (mohn-san-mee-shel) is a unique abbey perched precariously on a 264-foot high rocky islet connected to the mainland by a causeway. Surrounded by over half a mile of massive walls and reached by a steep climb up winding streets, it remains one of the greatest sightseeing attractions in Europe and the second only to the Eiffel Tower as the most visited place in France. Its fortifications enabled the islet to withstand repeated English assaults during the Hundred Years' War. The abbey served as a prison during Napoleon's reign. Restored after 1863, and connected to the mainland by a causeway in 1875), Mont-St.Michel is also known for its tides, the highest on the continent. For more tourist info/options: http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

June 2011

We booked a car with Avis at the train station in LeHavre. We were very disappointed. They did not speak English, were very rude and did not have any maps for us, or so they said. Would not recommend Avis.

There was, however, a car rental agency in the cruise terminal in LeHavre. I would try them next time and would also save the cab fare to the train station to use Avis.

Drove to Normandy to see American Cemetery, which was awesome! Be sure you have money for the toll roads.

June 2011

We booked a car with Avis at the train station in LeHavre. We were very disappointed. They did not speak English, were very rude and did not have any maps for us, or so they said. Would not recommend Avis.

Although we sometimes share your frustration when nobody speaks English, we do wonder how many rental car companies in Denver (or other US cities) have someone who speaks French. My point is that you are in France, French is their language, and having an employee who is multi-lingual is nice but not always a sure thing. As to maps, it is another issue with many rental car companies since the norm is often that you must buy a map (better to simply have a GPS). We are currently in Belgium with a rental car from Sixt and they also had no maps. As to rental cars in LeHavre, we could right a book about the hassles with many agencies and will look forward to hearing some reviews on the rental outfit in the port terminal. The location is sure convenient.

Hank

• 3 months later...
We will visit Le Havre on a Sunday and unfortunately the rental agency at the cruise terminal will be closed.

Does anyone have suggestions for a rental car in Le Havre on a Sunday (July)? Thanks!

About 20-30 Minutes walk you find at 51 Quai de Southampton Europcar.

Here you find more information how to get there:

http://heinbloed-pcl.blogspot.com/2011/09/tagday-32-in-le-havre.html

They are open Sunday from 06.00 hrs to 23.00 hrs (against extra fee).

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
About 20-30 Minutes walk you find at 51 Quai de Southampton Europcar.

Here you find more information how to get there:

http://heinbloed-pcl.blogspot.com/2011/09/tagday-32-in-le-havre.html

They are open Sunday from 06.00 hrs to 23.00 hrs (against extra fee).

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you so much, HeinBloed. I checked Europcar and I think it may work out. Oddly enough I saw Europcar yesterday when I was searching but I kept getting an error message when I put in my date. Tried again on your recommendation. Thanks!!

Peg

We originally planned to rent two cars in Le Havre (in town) and drive over to Honfluer - however, I have been told that the traffic can be very bad in the summer. We are there in early August. In fact, someone told me that it took them close to 2 hours just to make it over the bridge. So we have decided to see the museum in Le Havre and take in the sights it has to offer instead of beginning our vacation with traffic. I don't know if anyone has experience in this arena... I would like to hear your experiences. Thank you.

We originally planned to rent two cars in Le Havre (in town) and drive over to Honfluer - however, I have been told that the traffic can be very bad in the summer. We are there in early August. In fact, someone told me that it took them close to 2 hours just to make it over the bridge. So we have decided to see the museum in Le Havre and take in the sights it has to offer instead of beginning our vacation with traffic. I don't know if anyone has experience in this arena... I would like to hear your experiences. Thank you.

I crossed about five times the Normandy Bridge.

I never waited longer but seconds. Escpecially if you are well prepared and use the card lane with your credit card ready in your hand.

Honestly spoken: the museum in Le Havre has a nice restaurant but I really love to do other places like Honfleur or Rouen rather than staying in Le Havre.

Pictures from our last visits:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com (QUEEN ELIZABETH - January 2012)

http://heinbloed-pcl.blogspot.com (GRAND PRINCESS - October 2011)

Regards

HeinBloed

Like Heinbloed I've never experienced a delay on the bridge - and I'm the old-fahioned type with 4 euros in my hand. But parking in Honfleur can be crammed on summer weekends.

But I'd question the cost & time involved in carhire. Its only 16 miles each way & surely a taxi is a better bet - esp if you get ripped-off on insurance & unused gas.

Just MHO

JB :)

But I'd question the cost & time involved in carhire. Its only 16 miles each way & surely a taxi is a better bet - esp if you get ripped-off on insurance & unused gas.

You get a full tank and you return a full tank. This works with the car rental company at the cruise terminal. So there is no rip-off with unused gas.

Honfleur is somehow too small day for whole day tour. So when you combine with another place it's worth to rent a car.

The actual rate is 5.20 EUR for cars.

Regards

HeinBloed

Well, there are 8 of us, so it was 2 car rentals as we couldn't find one large enough to fit the group.

I will take what you have said about the traffic into consideration. We can't really spend the $ for us all to take the Princess excursion, but perhaps a cab to Honfleur and back would work out.

Maybe this port we are playing by ear, although that is not really my style, it might make for an enjoyable change!

Well, there are 8 of us, so it was 2 car rentals as we couldn't find one large enough to fit the group.

I will take what you have said about the traffic into consideration. We can't really spend the $ for us all to take the Princess excursion, but perhaps a cab to Honfleur and back would work out.

Maybe this port we are playing by ear, although that is not really my style, it might make for an enjoyable change!

http://www.cruiselehavre.com/pdf-contribute/Rent_A_Car_2011.pdf

Well we had no problem to get a 9-seater:

2009NCLJADE20410-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...

Archived