Any of you flying from Canada to U.S.

scchasgal

For any of you meeting up with your ship and flying in from Canada effective immediately zero carry luggage. See announcement below

emergency measures include no carry-on bags to U.S.A.

spacer.gif

Effective immediately, CATSA is implementing temporary emergency measures at security checkpoints under the direction of Transport Canada. These measures are in response to a failed terrorist attack on board an aircraft from Amsterdam to Detroit on December 25, 2009. These new measures will affect all flights from Canada to the United States.

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted zero carry-on bags effective immediately and lasting for several days. Passengers travelling within Canada are still permitted two carry-on bags (although to make the screening process most efficient, fewer carry-on items is preferred).

These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as medication or medical devices, small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item, musical instruments, or diplomatic or consular bags.

That rule was in place December 26, when we flew to LA. My daughter and I were only allowed to take our purses on board. When we arrived back in Canada January 2, there were signs all over the airport stating the allowable items you listed as being the only carry on items that would go to the US.

No carryon - which would not have been an issue with the failed bomber. He put the "stuff" in his underwear.

Meanwhile, repeat after me

Better safe than sorry

Better safe than sorry

Unless of course you are at Newark airport, where you can just walk into the airport terminal and disappear. Sure, they made everybody leave, but who knows what that passenger left inside the "secure" are of the airport.

The "no carry on" rule is effective for Canada to US flights only. We're flying to LA tomorrow morning and it has been a challenge to fit wallet, meds, travel documents, phone and other essentials (e.g. address book) into a "small purse". So much for the 3-1-1 ziplock bag - no place to put it!

Here's hoping TSA will allow carryons by March. We've already booked air to NZ, with a stopover in LA. Not sure how our meds and itinerary/flight info. for 2 months will fit in a small purse! :eek:

I think your meds might fit the "containers carrying life sustaining items" exception to the no-carryon rule.

Not sure if I understand the restrictions completely. Does anyone have any immediate experience with these new rules?

If we are allowed to bring cameras and laptops, do they have to fit into the 'small purse' or can they have their own case? I will definately not put any valuables or electronics into checked luggage. We have heard too many stories of theft from checked luggage.

My husband does not carry a purse, but can he carry one of mine (messenger style) and put some of these extra items into the 'purse'?

Can we bring a plastic shopping bag and put all these allowed items into it after we are screened?

We are flying Jan.23 and I don't want to guess and then have things confiscated at the gate.

I know this is all very inconvenient, but worth it for our own safety. I would just like some feedback about realtime experience.

Thanks.

I have a small purse that holds wallet,sunglasses and not much more,. I am wondering what to do with book, travel documents, digital camera (size of your hand), 3 pill bottles. I might have to borrow a backpack type camera bag that holds a 35ml camera so I can put my things and with my camera in it, it would be ok.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a small purse that holds wallet,sunglasses and not much more,. I am wondering what to do with book, travel documents, digital camera (size of your hand), 3 pill bottles. I might have to borrow a backpack type camera bag that holds a 35ml camera so I can put my things and with my camera in it, it would be ok.

We just got back from our trip to US (left on Jan 6th) and the security people were incredibly inconsistent as to how they applied the rules (e.g. Made people check laptop bags so they had to carry laptop onto plane under their arm; but let people with humongous "purses" through).

Anyways, it seems they have gotten their act together and have more specific details about what is allowed. I'm glad they actually have dimensions and picture of what they consider a "small" purse!

Check this Canadian Air Transport Security link: http://www.acsta.gc.ca/file/library/71/english/ExemptItems08jan10EN.pdf

Your camera will need its own camera case and your meds are okay. Anything else needs to be worn on your person - so wear something with lots of pockets!

We just got back from our trip to US (left on Jan 6th) and the security people were incredibly inconsistent as to how they applied the rules (e.g. Made people check laptop bags so they had to carry laptop onto plane under their arm; but let people with humongous "purses" through).

Anyways, it seems they have gotten their act together and have more specific details about what is allowed. I'm glad they actually have dimensions and picture of what they consider a "small" purse!

Check this Canadian Air Transport Security link: http://www.acsta.gc.ca/file/library/71/english/ExemptItems08jan10EN.pdf

Your camera will need its own camera case and your meds are okay. Anything else needs to be worn on your person - so wear something with lots of pockets!

I am wondering if I put my book, documents, meds in a large clear ziplock bag, if that would be ok. My pants (woman's) only have the 2 front pockets so cann't put much it them. I might have to take a bigger purse to put everything.

So does yesterday's change mean things are "back to normal" (as in as they were prior to Christmas)?? When I read the guidelines I didn't see mention of food or liquid / cosmetic items in the ziplocs.... are those items still banned from carry-on??

^^^^

One of my good friends is a senior screening officer @ Pearson:

Liquids and gels rule is back to what it was. You may bring a carry on but it IS NOT a rolling suitcase.... gym bags/duffel bags are allowed.

Your also allowed a personal item.... purses, briefcases etc.

Maximum size to your carry-on is being strictly enforced, of course depending upon through which airport (or screener) you are transiting. 22" x 16" x 9' , or 55cm x 40cm x 23cm are the new dimensions. Scott.

This is basically a small rolling carryon (My Heys Xcase hard side is 20x14x9) and meets the requirement - why would it not be allowed?

Archived