Can Room Stewards Access the In-Room Safes?

itzkelly

Two friends and I are leaving for our cruise on The Conquest on 01/17 and one of my friends recently read online about 'cruiseship safety' and to think twice about leaving jewelry in the in-room safe because the room stewards may know the access codes to get into the safes. I personally hadn't heard of this before, and have on previous cruises left my diamond engagement and wedding rings inside the safe when going to port (for fear of losing them in the ocean when snorkeling, etc.). I think she may be too paranoid about this, yet she says she'd rather wear her wedding rings in the ocean vs. leaving them in the safe.:eek: I'd love to hear any feedback y'all might have.

Oh, another option she said she'd look into is to see if the ship has a safety deposit box we could use for our rings...again, I am thinking she's a bit too paranoid about this, but then maybe she knows something I don't??:confused:

Thanks!

Kelly

Yep, she is paranoid. For one thing they dont use codes, they use the strip on the card you used to lock them. I got locked out on Carnival (the purser's desk replaced my card before I realized what they were going to do) and we had to call a security person to break into the safe.

The answer is no. Only the Purser can open the safe. We went throught it a year or so ago. Lost the CCard that we locked the safe with. Even the wifes card would not work it is the same account - VISA. Took a hour or so to get it opened.

On the Dream in September we couldn't get the safe to open with the code numbers we had set. After we tried so many times it wouldn't open.

We called Guest Services and they sent someone from Security to open it for us--so no, your steward cannot access it.

It is SAFE.

Yep, she is paranoid. For one thing they dont use codes, they use the strip on the card you used to lock them. I got locked out on Carnival (the purser's desk replaced my card before I realized what they were going to do) and we had to call a security person to break into the safe.

The person who opened safe for us was a purser of some rank who had a master key card on a chain. He also had me stand there and witness the opening,

We put valuables in the safe all the time, and they are safe.

Once, we got to our cabin and the person before us had left the safe locked. We called the desk and someone came very quickly and opened it with a special card while a security guard watched!! I asked the guard if he was watching to keep the other person honest or to see what had been left in the safe. He said "both".

After checking out the balcony, the first thing I do once in the cabin is put my wallet, cell phone and car keys in the safe. I won't need those for 7 days!!!!!!

If you have something extremely valuable or tons of cash (thousands) I think you can check them at the purser's desk and they put them in a real safe.

One more thing - even though the note will tell you not to, I use my sign and sail card to lock the safe. I have done this on every cruise and never had any problem doing so. Why would I want to carry a credit card AND my S&S card around when I just need the S&S card?? I figure if you use your S&S card to lock the safe then maybe the Stewerd's master cabin card could open the safe but I have never had any problem. That is about the only reason I can think not to use the S&S for the safe????

mowdoc

We put valuables in the safe all the time, and they are safe.

Once, we got to our cabin and the person before us had left the safe locked. We called the desk and someone came very quickly and opened it with a special card while a security guard watched!! I asked the guard if he was watching to keep the other person honest or to see what had been left in the safe. He said "both".

After checking out the balcony, the first thing I do once in the cabin is put my wallet, cell phone and car keys in the safe. I won't need those for 7 days!!!!!!

If you have something extremely valuable or tons of cash (thousands) I think you can check them at the purser's desk and they put them in a real safe.

One more thing - even though the note will tell you not to, I use my sign and sail card to lock the safe. I have done this on every cruise and never had any problem doing so. Why would I want to carry a credit card AND my S&S card around when I just need the S&S card?? I figure if you use your S&S card to lock the safe then maybe the Stewerd's master cabin card could open the safe but I have never had any problem. That is about the only reason I can think not to use the S&S for the safe????

mowdoc

If you loose your SS card the finder could by observation put you together with the location of your cabin and if so they could get to your safe. Important that you report your missing card ASAP to get it replaced.

The cabin numbers are not on the cards but they use to be a few years ago.

The Stewards will tell you to call either housekeeping or security (I forget which) someone will come and open your safe with you watching.If you have to reset your code, they will either turn their back or stand outside the door.

I never use my SS or Credit card, I picked up a card from one of the kiosks that sell gift certificates and have used it for the last 6 sailings, no problems.:D:D

If you loose your SS card the finder could by observation put you together with the location of your cabin and if so they could get to your safe. Important that you report your missing card ASAP to get it replaced.

The cabin numbers are not on the cards but they use to be a few years ago.

Besides the other obvious reasons, another reason to not use the S&S card to open and lock your safe.

I'm a lazy kinda girl with blond roots and often forget to even put my jewelery in the safe and have never had anything missing! We leave our laptop and cameras out and even leave cash in one of the drawers. I'm not suggesting you do this just that I have on accident and have never had anything missing.

mowdoc

Because if you have a problem with your S&S card and they have to reprogram it for any reason, you cannot lock the safe. You'll have to get the purser to unlock your safe.

Also, once you use a card, you have to use the same card to unlock the safe. If you have two people sharing the cabin and safe that means that only the person who locked it can unlock it and the other person cannot use the safe. We use one of the grocery store "member discount" cards and then we put it someplace in the cabin (like inside a book in a drawer or inside the water wallet in our snorkel bag) where someone would have to know what we do and tear up the cabin looking for the card to get into the safe. This way we both have access to the safe regardless of who is in the cabin and who is not.

I'm a lazy kinda girl with blond roots and often forget to even put my jewelery in the safe and have never had anything missing! We leave our laptop and cameras out and even leave cash in one of the drawers. I'm not suggesting you do this just that I have on accident and have never had anything missing.

The problem with that is that although your steward is trustworthy, they also leave the doors open sometimes when they are cleaning. I've walked down a hall and seen a couple of doors open at a time with stewards walking in and out so it is possible that someone could walk in take things off the vanity. If caught, they could always say, "oh we are on the wrong side/floor". We use the safe just to be safe. Just one time and your cruise is ruined.

Because if you have a problem with your S&S card and they have to reprogram it for any reason, you cannot lock the safe. You'll have to get the purser to unlock your safe.

Also, once you use a card, you have to use the same card to unlock the safe. If you have two people sharing the cabin and safe that means that only the person who locked it can unlock it and the other person cannot use the safe. We use one of the grocery store "member discount" cards and then we put it someplace in the cabin (like inside a book in a drawer or inside the water wallet in our snorkel bag) where someone would have to know what we do and tear up the cabin looking for the card to get into the safe. This way we both have access to the safe regardless of who is in the cabin and who is not.

Good Idea! I'll use that one on our next cruise. I always took the card with me, but this is much simpler, and less difficult to lose!

Thanks!

I just carry my Safeway card (I never use it at a store anymore anyway). I've used safes in hotels and cruise ships and never had anything taken. I'm pretty sure the master key is kept locked up at the Pursers desk unless it's needed and then can only be used by a few people. I've always questioned the validity of the very few people who claim items were stolen from a safe in their room or cabin. My guess is either they didn't lock it properly or they're making false claims for insurance (or someone they're traveling with is a problem). We're starting to see almost exclusively key pads on safes and we always use the same code so either of us can get into the safe anytime we need to.

No, the stewards can't. It will take a maintenance call. The newer ships and safes use an electronic combination lock.

This is true......it is not security, housekeeping or the pursers that can open the safes........maintenance do.........been there done that:D

So unless you see a maintenance man in your cabin snooping around........you have no worries......

Would a key card from a hotel work? I have one from a hotel I stayed at a few months ago. Since I forgot to turn it in at the hotel, I thought I would take it on the cruise and just use that.

Any card with a magnetic strip will work. :D

Archived