Holland America models

modelman

So I collect 1:1250 scale models of liners and cruise ships. I recently transferred my models into a new case, and during the transfer, they were all out on one table. I took a few pictures of them, and thought these shots, which feature many HAL liners and cruise ships, might be interesting to you all. You can see many eras of HAL history from the 1910's right up to the present day.

4009264540_6b9f5165cd_b.jpg

4009262338_fdaaa90670_b.jpg

Modelman; top pic - the small HAL ship with the old (orange stack) house colors, adjacent what looks to be a Hapag-LLoyd ship and aft of one of the RCI "of the Seas" monsters, is that the infamous Prinsendam or one of the "V" class twins?

That is neat! :) I think I saw my favorite Rotterdam, and possibly the Statendam that was my introduction to cruising.

Or am I seeing what I want to see? ;)

Nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

Well in the following picture from top to bottom:

Prinsendam (1970's)

Maasdam /Ryndam (1950's)

Volendam / Veendam (1920's)

Volendam / Veendam (1970's)

Statendam (1950's in 70's livery)

Statendam (1914 / Justicia)

Rotterdam (1950's in 70's livery)

Nieuw Amsterdam (1930's)

Nieuw Amsterdam (1980's)

Statendam / Ryndam / Maasdam / Veendam (1990's)

Westerdam (1980's)

4009264540_6b9f5165cd_b.jpg

And in this picture, you start with the same Statendam (1990's) and Westerdam (1980's) then a little more left to right:

Rotterdam (1950's)

Zuiderdam (2000's)

Oosterdam (2000's)

Volendam / Zaandam (1990's - 2000's)

Statendam (1920's)

Rotterdam (1990's)

4009262338_fdaaa90670_b.jpg

Well in the following picture from top to bottom:

Statendam (1950's in 70's livery)

Rotterdam (1950's in 70's livery)

They are my ships! The 1957 Statendam, which I sailed in 1978, and the 1959 Rotterdam. I sailed on her several times from 1992, to her final cruise in 1997.

Very nice.

Are the models prepainted or do you paint them?

Rich

Almost all are prepainted. I have repainted a few though, and have contemplated repainting my wooden model of the Royal Viking Sun as the new Prinsendam. The model is seen behind Zaandam / Volendam in the second picture.

• 2 months later...

I bought a few new models at auction last month in NYC. They are lovely wooden models that had been sold on board in the 1960's of the SS Rotterdam and SS Statendam. I already had a similar model of the SS Nieuw Amsterdam. I just love these models for the sense of history they bring, along with the beauty of the ships and the models themselves.

Here are the three models, by a company called Wagner Modelbau, with the Nieuw Amsterdam on the top, Statendam in the middle, and Rotterdam in the forground.

4492850425_0e1ca38a3b_b.jpg

I bought a few new models at auction last month in NYC. They are lovely wooden models that had been sold on board in the 1960's of the SS Rotterdam and SS Statendam. I already had a similar model of the SS Nieuw Amsterdam. I just love these models for the sense of history they bring, along with the beauty of the ships and the models themselves.

Here are the three models, by a company called Wagner Modelbau, with the Nieuw Amsterdam on the top, Statendam in the middle, and Rotterdam in the forground.

4492850425_0e1ca38a3b_b.jpg

modelman,

It's too bad the models sold aboard nowadays are so lacking in detail. Can you recommend any retail sources for finding models such as yours, at least for contemporary ships?

Thanks,

Ward

Archived