Holland America models

modelman

What is that vessel in the first picture next to the Olympic (I assume it's Olympic)? That very large ship with three funnels with the White Star buff?

Is it the unbuilt Oceanic, by chance?

No that is a model of the Majestic. Originally designed to be HAPAG's Bismark, she was finished after WWI as the Majestic, largest ship in the world until the Normandie was built.

Majestic.jpg

There are a few good websites to buy these metal 1:1250 scale models from:

http://www.collectableships.com/models/Albatros.htm

http://www.wiedling.de/cgi-bin/webshop.pl?t=temgroup&f=HERSTELLER&start=1&dif=50&c=CM-KR+-+Serie

http://www.1250ships.com/test/index.php?cPath=1_9_123

http://scherbakshipmodels.tripod.com/id106.html

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Modelman,

Your models collection is amazing. ;) Impressive, how some people has so any difference cruise ship models. My models collection is wery-wery small compare to yours.

I collect cruise ship models. One is 1/1260 scaled model. Others are bigger. Tree of my collection are model kits. The others are my hands made.

I can't to collect so any ship modes for life end too lol.

How wonderful and thank you for sharing this dazzling display.

When I read the thread title I thought it would a riff about the human models used in HAL marketing material - which don't exactly look like our home photos we show when we get back from our trips. :p But these models look exactly like our cozy floating homes.

In your history collection, do you have the Lloyd Triestino Galileo Galilei or her sister ship the Marconi - both legendary in their times as the fastest ships between Italy and Australia in the late 1950's? Or the Chandris Fantasia, which was my very first cruise ship in the late 1960's?

That is a great collection and a wonderful hobby! Where do you find the auction sites to purchase them?

I have collected 1/18 die cast metal sports car models for years, but recently my wife said I was taking up too much space and she boxed them all and put them in our furnace room. Can you imagine what she would have done if I did that to one of her collections of period romance novels?:eek:

Until I actually saw them in your display case, I would have thought they would take up an entire wall of cases. They seem to have quite a bit of detail for such small models.

Thanks for sharing, I (along with many others here) really enjoyed seeing them.

• 1 year later...

I was just searching for models of the ships I've been on and came across this posting of yours. I'm am SO drooling. Can I come over and play?

I looked at the sites you posted, of which 2 were not good. I didn't see any but one of the ships I've sailed on. And looking at the prices, this is not a cheap hobby for you! I thought I had an impressive collection of airplane models. But wow, you take the cake!

Thank you for sharing.

There's another thread on the Royal Caribbean forum, started by a man (from Norway?) who actually builds radio-controlled models and enters them in contests. They are 6 to 10 feet long and have to be sea-worthy. Well, canal-worthy, I guess!

He posts every few months with updates & pictures, I believe he is still working on a model of the Voyager of the Seas. He does this in his spare time, he's a fairly young man with young children, and it takes months & months to complete one.

Archived