4 People in an Inside On Spirit?

discjoker

Ok, so I am wanting to take a Spring cruise on the Spirit out of Boston. My wife, daughter (18 months at the time), and I took this cruise this past September and were in a balcony cabin. Seemed like the right amount of space for the 3 of us. My mother now wants to take this cruise with us and in the name of savings we are looking to pack the 4 of us into an inside cabin. My daughter will be 2 so we will use a pack n play onboard. With all this is mind, am I kidding myself to think the 4 of us can be comfortable in this situation? All advice, comments, feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Ok, so I am wanting to take a Spring cruise on the Spirit out of Boston. My wife, daughter (18 months at the time), and I took this cruise this past September and were in a balcony cabin. Seemed like the right amount of space for the 3 of us. My mother now wants to take this cruise with us and in the name of savings we are looking to pack the 4 of us into an inside cabin. My daughter will be 2 so we will use a pack n play onboard. With all this is mind, am I kidding myself to think the 4 of us can be comfortable in this situation? All advice, comments, feedback is welcome. Thanks.

I wouldn't know where you would put the pack n play. I think you're kidding yourself actually. Those cabins are tiny.

We did it on the Spirit with 2 adults, and two kids, 2 and 4. It was VERY tight. I don't see how you could have 3 adults in the room. There would conceivably be room for the pack 'n play, but it would either block the bathroom door or the door leading out of the room. I wouldn't do it.

As for shower time have dad take his in the gym/spa area. I think you and your spouse will have to take the upper bunks, granny and the toddler would occupy the lower bunks. Use the cabin chair as a guard to help keep your child from falling. Ask the cabin steward for extra pillows to put on the floor just in case. Have fun on your cruise!:)

I will be the opposing view on this topic I guess. ;)

Now with that being said, I have never cruised with 4 in a cabin but I did book a quad occupancy this summer on the Damn. I think it depends on the people and how accommodating they can be. We know it will be tight but all we intend to do in the cabin is sleep, change and get ready anyway.

Everyone gets up at different times and I intend to use the spa in the morning to work out and shower so that should easy some congestion in the bathroom in the morning. My kids will sleep in so our scheduling should keep the disruption to a minimum.

Will it be crowed at times? Sure. But I would feel worse if I couldn't take my kids on this cruise with us.

After paying $2,000 in air to get to the port an extra $2,000 for an additional inside was just a bit too much for me to swing this year.

The spirit has a few extra large rooms (that are NOT handicapped accessible), this would work (but one person has to sleep on an upper bunk)

While I think 4 in the room is manageable in a regular room, if everyone is going to make an effort not to pack too much and to keep the room tidy, I don’t think it would work in your situation because of the Pack N’ Play.

A regular quad room as 2 possible layouts : the 2 single beds + a pull-out bed in between (your daughter couldn’t fall) but then the upper bunk is not easily available (and who would sleep up there, your mother-in-law? If not, she would have to share the ‘’triple bed’’ – ok, each person has their own bedding but still). The other option is the L-shaped bed configuration wouldn’t allow the pack N’Play (or it would block the hallway).

IMHO, book a large room if there is one available, book 2 room or leave your mother in law behind :D.

I did it with my 83 yr old mother and 2 -11 year olds. Try to get a handicapped inside if possible, it is roomier. Also , the third bed is a bunk style, have to climb in with a ladder.

Handicapped rooms should only be booked by people who need the accessibility features and not just for more room. There are very few of these rooms available for those who actually need them. Many disabled people can't cruise if they can't get an accessible cabin because somebody booked them for more space.

There are few larger inside cabins which would work fine. We were in 4479, an inside and it was huge. Look at the deck plans and try and get one of the few larger ones and then the 4 of you would be fine. This was not a handicapped cabin. In a regular inside it will be a very tight squeeze.

I found a list of the larger inside cabins.

Avg sq ft cabin: 149

Cabin sizes range from 149 to 175 square feet. Cabins 5035, 6035, 6535 are 200 sq. feet. Cabins 9207 and 9203 are 190 sq. feet. Cabins 9551, 9051, 10031, 10531 and 10611 are 175 sq. feet. Cabin 9703 is 160 square foot.

We've shared an inside cabin with my mom and had no problem. We had all four berths apart and there was plenty of room. We had no problems sharing the bathroom, either. We all like each other, which helps!

The one difference here is the age of the child. Our daughter was 8 at the time, so we had no worries having her sleep in an upper berth with the railing attached. If she'd been two, I would have had her sleep in a lower berth - possibly with the railing, but I don't know whether you can attach it to the lower berths. By the time she was two, she was already sleeping in a toddler bed, though, so she was used to not having railings.

Now, with an 11 year old who is close to 5'7", it's like having three adults in our cabin all the time, and we still have no issues with insides. It can definitely be done - and done comfortably and happily - but as I said above, you have to like each other. The quarters are close and you have to respect each others' needs, but that's easy. :)

So... after all that, in my opinion this can be done. I would recommend having the beds apart and having your daughter sleep on a lower berth rather than in a pack 'n play. On some ships the extra bed is a trundle, also, so if that's what the Spirit has, even better. If you do prefer the confinement of the pack 'n play, I would still recommend leaving the bottom berths apart so you can fit the crib in between and have a little more walking room.

We stayed in 6535 last February. It was one of the 200 sq. ft. cabins. There is a chair near the closet, that if you have the room steward remove, you could put the pack and play there. The third bed in the room is a trundle bed that comes out from under one of the other beds. There is also a bunk that folds into the wall. I've attached a couple of pictures of our room to give you an idea. Hope it helps!

DSCN0084.jpg.465476b378c9c3ce6bd13e444a5dcce0.jpg

100_2468.jpg.c1a8efd14fe434817a94dc9d9e339c05.jpg

100_2466.jpg.8d656e4fa42043d4286756ebe3c184ee.jpg

100_2467.jpg.b10dc1a06bdf6236443f39748528c04e.jpg

-Joanne

I did it with my 83 yr old mother and 2 -11 year olds. Try to get a handicapped inside if possible, it is roomier. Also , the third bed is a bunk style, have to climb in with a ladder.

For shame - to suggest someone book a handicapped cabin when they are not handicapped just to get a roomier cabin. :eek:

Handicapped cabins have special adaptations other than more room for the disabled. Like a wider door so a wheelchair can get into the cabin, a shower seat, a roll under sink, lower bars in the closet, and emergency cords just to name a few.

There are only 5 handicapped cabins on this entire ship. Leave them for people who are truly handicapped. Handicapped people cant cruise if they cant get a handicapped cabin.

Thank you

You can get 4 bodies in there but need to consider some other things. We traveled with my mother in law who is a wonderful person but her schedule didn't go well with ours.

She wanted to go to bed earlier. (We are both night owls) We found ourselves having to leave the cabin and then we ended waking her up when we returned no matter how quiet we were. We regretted the arrangement to the point that when we all travel together, we book 2 rooms.

We stayed in 9703 (one of the larger insides) with 2 adults/ 2 kids (6 & 8) and it was fine for us. There would be plenty of room for the pack-n-play. That being said, 3 adults will be tight and someone will be in an upper bunk. The pull out chair barely accomodated my 6yo.

Thanks for the pictures of 6535, I am in the process of booking and asked for that room! I'm confused as to where the 4 beds would be (my husband and 2 children). It looks like 3 people sleep in the large bed and there is a bunk up above?

Was there a lot of noise being close to the elevator?

Archived