Gem (NCL) heading in wrong direction...

cruzndiz

....and I'm not talking about the direction the ship is sailing, either!! :p

So far this is what I've learned recently about NCL:

1. They eliminated the welcome aboard glass of champagne

2. They eliminated the complimentary cappuccino/espresso in the buffet

3. They eliminated the lovely little chocolates on your pillows at night

4. They INCREASED the fee for some (all?) specialty restaurants

On top of all that, the recent reviews being posted here from December Bahamas cruises have been tepid or worse!:eek:

I'm really sorry to hear these things. I truly enjoyed my last NCL cruise so much so that even though I'm not particularly fond of mainstream mass market cruising, I was sure that I could heartily recommend NCL to both my husband and son-in-law (first time NCLers).

I hope that some better news starts being posted with the January cruisers.

Try to give them a break, there dealing with the same bad ecenomy as were all dealing with. I know people who traveled on other lines are saying there are cut backs as well. :)

Very true! We were on the CCL Legend this past August and noticed it then. It seemed that everytime we went up on deck or to the pool, we were bombarded with trying to sell us the drink of the day every few min. Just my opinion but it may very well be that they're just trying to get away from re-imposing the fuel surcharges again into another form of revenue. With oil around $82 a barrel, I'm sure it's affecting all the cruise lines bottom line and they may be just trying to ease the pain a bit for all.

Considering the economy and current fuel prices if that list of 4 changes is the worst you can come up with I can certainly live with them. In fact they will have no real impact on the overall enjoyment of my next cruise.

Now if they start cutting headcount, dramaticly reducing the food budget, raising drink prices again, and adding back the fuel surcharge then we have 4 items on a list that would make me very concerned.

It is about profit and profit is about marketing. If the first 3 items are true, the first is less than a dollar of cost pp to NCL, the second could be as much as $5 pp if frequently used on a 7 day cruise, the last less than $2 pp on a 7 day cruise. For the postitve influence these and similar type of small gestures have on the customers' memories of the cruise and company, smart marketing would not only continue with these, but would look for other small inexpensive gestures that give most customers a very positive image of NCL as a customer focused cruise line. Then these gestures' costs could easily be passed on to the customer in the form of a total cruise package price increase of maybe $15. It would be such a small percentage as to not even be recognized by the customer. I'm sure NCL has a smart marketing staff, but sometimes saving a very small amount can have much larger deminishing overall returns. True not just for NCL but most service companies.

On top of all that, the recent reviews being posted here from December Bahamas cruises have been tepid or worse!:eek:

I'm really sorry to hear these things. I truly enjoyed my last NCL cruise so much so that even though I'm not particularly fond of mainstream mass market cruising, I was sure that I could heartily recommend NCL to both my husband and son-in-law (first time NCLers).

and have you read the test programs for dinner packages?

That is an improvement for sure. The price for specialty dining rooms, which have been increased and are you aware of what the other ships are charging?

Do you do any grocery shopping? If you did you would know what we are paying for everything and the sizes keep shrinking..Tuna used to be 8 oz cans when I was a kid, then 7, then 6 and now 51/2 but the price goes up, up, up...

Have you been reading most of the recent reviews, they have been anything but negative? Big deal, no bubbly and no cappuccino. As for the choc they have been hit or miss for the past 3 or 4 years. We hardly ever ate ours anyway...

Look at it another way: I just booked 3 cabins on a repo cruise for April. Inside less than $400 per person, outside, about $600 and balc just over $700. This includes all taxes, port charges, etc.

So for say $200 per day (per couple) they get:

as many meals as they can eat including things like steak, prime rib and lobster

nightly entertainment

transportation from place to place

daily free room service

housekeeping twice a day

plus more, now where are you going to find a resort that can offer anything close to this?

I am not just defending NCL, most mass marketed lines are a great value. Now for those who want to have the extra touches and can or want to pay for them, fine. You can choose to sail a top line. I don't blame anyone for that, I am just explaining why there are cut backs.

Nita

It is about profit and profit is about marketing. If the first 3 items are true, the first is less than a dollar of cost pp to NCL, the second could be as much as $5 pp if frequently used on a 7 day cruise, the last less than $2 pp on a 7 day cruise. For the postitve influence these and similar type of small gestures have on the customers' memories of the cruise and company, smart marketing would not only continue with these, but would look for other small inexpensive gestures that give most customers a very positive image of NCL as a customer focused cruise line. Then these gestures' costs could easily be passed on to the customer in the form of a total cruise package price increase of maybe $15. It would be such a small percentage as to not even be recognized by the customer. I'm sure NCL has a smart marketing staff, but sometimes saving a very small amount can have much larger deminishing overall returns. True not just for NCL but most service companies.

But are these things really all that important? The first time we sailed a line that did offer bubbly upon entering the ship I was impressed, yet it had little to do with how much we did or did not enjoy our cruise. I have never sailed any mass marketed line except NCL that offer cappuccino free...Yes, the cost might be minute amount, but multifly that by thousands...Sure they could up the price a few $$s and offer these little niceties, but I don't think it is necessary.

Nita

The price of oil per barrel is WAY over the amount NCL said would trigger a surcharge, yet they have not announced one. As I recall, when oil was high some time ago, the fuel surcharge was 11.00 pp per day. A surcharge at that rate is 154.00 per couple on a 7 night cruise. Would MUCH prefer to give up chocolates and champagne !!

But are these things really all that important?

Nita

No, not at all....but from a marketing perpective, selling your product, a small investment for possibly large returns in impressing passengers' memories, I think yes. Just my opinion. I'm sure NCL marketing department gives this careful consideration.

No, not at all....but from a marketing perpective, selling your product, a small investment for possibly large returns in impressing passengers' memories, I think yes. Just my opinion. I'm sure NCL marketing department gives this careful consideration.

oh, I am sure you are right, they do and will decide on how important these issue are. They do read CC all the time for starters, but they also look at what other lines are offering or cutting back on...We will see. I would be surprise to see the bubbly come back, it was only offered for a couple of years, actually less. What will happen is different marketing gimmicks, like the dinner package for starters. at least that is my guess.

Nita

Look at it another way: I just booked 3 cabins on a repo cruise for April. Inside less than $400 per person, outside, about $600 and balc just over $700. This includes all taxes, port charges, etc.

as many meals as they can eat including things like steak, prime rib and lobster

nightly entertainment

daily free room service

housekeeping twice a day

After you add your airfare to the price how much does your total per day come to??

Just remember folks if you don't have anything positive to say on this site don't say it because someone will surely nail you to the cross!! Now its OK if you have 100 or more posts on this site but if you are a newbie don't say anything negitive or you will get burned!! :confused::confused::confused:

I just did the CTN on the Gem 1/2/10 and had a blast. The service was great, the ship was wonderful, and the food was awesome. In this economy I dont expect things for free anymore, companies have to make cut backs just like we do and no cappacino and free bubbly isnt a big deal in my opinion. Their cruises are still really resonably priced and you get ALOT for the cost.

nightly entertainment

daily free room service

housekeeping twice a day

After you add your airfare to the price how much does your total per day come to??

I think that would depend on where they are coming from and going. One couple will be flying one way to the port but lives near the end of the cruise, another is using ff flyer miles and the third is doing a combo, ff and buying a ticket, but that has nothing to do with the cost of the cruise. If one were to go to a resort they would have to pay for air separately anyway. I am talking about the 1 week at resort versus a cruise..cruising is still a damn good value..

Nita

H

Having just returned from a 9 day on the Dawn I can say that they do still have free Chanpagne upon embarcation, the specialty restaurants were all 1/2 price , and capichino was available at the buffet.

The only point you were correct on was the lack of the mints. I hate mints anyway!

The Dawn was still a fabulous cruise....so don't believe the "scuttlebut" submitted by some misguided individual.

Just remember folks if you don't have anything positive to say on this site don't say it because someone will surely nail you to the cross!! Now its OK if you have 100 or more posts on this site but if you are a newbie don't say anything negitive or you will get burned!! :confused::confused::confused:

Thats right and dont you forget it. :p

and its 101 post that qualifies you as exempt..

Having just returned from a 9 day on the Dawn I can say that they do still have free Chanpagne upon embarcation, the specialty restaurants were all 1/2 price , and capichino was available at the buffet.

The only point you were correct on was the lack of the mints. I hate mints anyway!

The Dawn was still a fabulous cruise....so don't believe the "scuttlebut" submitted by some misguided individual.

Is the "just returned" after a departure of January 2, 2010? Just curious? Otherwise I think these changes are in effect, Trust me , I'm still going on the Gem, Jan. 24.:D

How odd... I just returned from a December Bahamas cruise, and I distinctly remember posting how good it was. I also enjoyed my glass of orange juice as I boarded (I declined the champagne). The charges for the specialty dining were exactly the same as the last TWO cruises I was on (January 2008 and January 2009). I can't comment on the coffee since I don't drink it. The chocolates have been discontinued for quite some time, and I've somehow struggled through. :rolleyes:

I think you should go back and read a few more posts - but don't skip over the positive ones this time! :)

I'm not sure that I agree with that Rono....it may be a little extreme. Anyway the OP has a right to voice her opinion. IMHO three of the four things, I don't care about, but would hate to see the "bubbly greeting" disappear forever. I mean this is the first experience you get when you board the ship. Shouldn't it be a positive one?

A glass of champagne upon embarkation lends a bit of class to the NCL experience for me. How expensive can this really be? If you read the postings on the other boards, it is apparent that NCL could use a touch of class, at least in the minds of other posters, not me I like NCL. If anyone from NCL is reading, please bring it back!

As far as fuel surcharges are concerned, no line wants to be the first to start it up again, but they will all jump in when the time comes.

Finally, does anyone know what lines still offer the champagne at sail away?

I'm not sure that I agree with that Rono....it may be a little extreme. Anyway the OP has a right to voice her opinion. IMHO three of the four things, I don't care about, but would hate to see the "bubbly greeting" disappear forever. I mean this is the first experience you get when you board the ship. Shouldn't it be a positive one?

A glass of champagne upon embarkation lends a bit of class to the NCL experience for me. How expensive can this really be? If you read the postings on the other boards, it is apparent that NCL could use a touch of class, at least in the minds of other posters, not me I like NCL. If anyone from NCL is reading, please bring it back!

As far as fuel surcharges are concerned, no line wants to be the first to start it up again, but they will all jump in when the time comes.

Finally, does anyone know what lines still offer the champagne at sail away?

i think Celebrity still does...

Nita

Was there a press release I missed? This is the first I've heard of their doing away with the bubbly welcome. They haven't had chocolate mints for some time, so that's not new. If January 2 was the magic date, then my saying I returned in December and they were serving bubbly, and had the capuccino machine in the buffet (PofA) is not applicable!

These two little perks were important to me. I'm a former Celebrity cruiser, and was so glad when NCL added bubbly in Freestyle 2.0.

Archived