1 Day in Venice followed by Early AM flight

Ker732

Hi,

I'm trying to assist my parents with booking a hotel in Venice for their 1 night post cruise in late May. Their dilemma is that they would like to stay in Venice close enough to appreciate what the city has to offer, but still be have quick & convenient access to get to the airport for a 7:00am departure the next morning. Any advice on where they should stay? They would rather not stay near the airport.

Also, does anyone have experience on such early morning flights and on the best method of transportation to the airport?

Thanks for any help!

Hi there, It is too bad that the flight is soooo early!

IF they stay near the Piazzale Roma then there's a choice of an express bus to the airport with luggage facilities under the bus , OR a land taxi. It is only about 20min. at that hour. The bus is 3euro per person. I don't know the cost of the taxi. You can see the bus schedule here:

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=23

IF they stay further into the city then they can take a private water taxi to the airport. It is like a small cabin cruiser but it is quite expensive at about 90euro. Their hotel can arrange one for them. There are a variety of price ranges for hotels or B&Bs so that is another story.

You can look on Trip Advisor to find lists of hotels, locations, and reviews.

We had the same early morning flight issue. I can highly recommend the Marriott at the airport--a short, free shuttle ride away. We stayed one night in Venice proper post-cruise (not enough, on our way back!) and then moved to the Marriott at the end of the second day and were so glad we did. I would not have wanted to make that trip to the airport at 5 AM. We had a very nice room, great rate, and a fun dinner at Crazy Pizzeria (recommended by the hotel) just a couple of blocks down the street for a VERY reasonable price, by Italian standards.

I can't recommend this idea highly enough to those with early morning flights! And normally I would NEVER recommend staying at an American chain (or any chain for that matter) while in Europe.

Cathy

The trade off is 45 minutes extra sleep in the morning or a convenient base for touring Venice. I would recommend staying by the airport. We stayed at Hotel Titian, like a Quality Inn. Your parents can take the bus from the port to Piazzale Roma. There they can leave their luggage at the drop luggage place (very common in Italy), jump on the vaporetto to St Mark's Square and start touring V. They can work their way back to PR, pick up their luggage and then take a taxi to the hotel (~35 euros) or the bus to the airport and then shuttle over to their hotel.

Archived