Train from Le Havre to Paris

rusticfurnituremaker

It is an above-ground train. I'm not sure if it's a super high speed train like the TGV, but it must go relatively fast to get there in 2 hours. It's 2.5 hours if you pick a nonstop trian from LeHavre to Paris. Try National Rail or SCNF's website. I have seen the cost fluctuate anywhere from 28 euro's to 55 euro's depending on the date and time that you choose for your ticket.

Whoops! I meant Rail Europe, not National Rail.

Thanks! So if we want the one that only takes 2 hours, where to we get that other than from Le Havre?

If your goal is to go straight to Paris, just book a nonstop route that leaves from LeHavre's train station (1 mile from cruise ships) to St. Lazare station in Paris (just away from the heart of the city). Once you arrive in Paris, you can take the underground Metro down to the Eiffel Tower, and some brave people have walked it. It's about 4 miles away from the river/Eiffel Tower/Louvre/etc.

Not sure what you mean by "other than Le Havre", unless you've already made plans to visit other areas. I'm not familiar with the other routes as I haven't been yet (will be sailing on May 26th).

If your goal is to go straight to Paris, just book a nonstop route that leaves from LeHavre's train station (1 mile from cruise ships) to St. Lazare station in Paris (just away from the heart of the city). Once you arrive in Paris, you can take the underground Metro down to the Eiffel Tower, and some brave people have walked it. It's about 4 miles away from the river/Eiffel Tower/Louvre/etc.

Not sure what you mean by "other than Le Havre", unless you've already made plans to visit other areas. I'm not familiar with the other routes as I haven't been yet (will be sailing on May 26th).

I was just a little confused as you mentioned both 2 hours and then 2.5 hours in that initial post. I will check out the web site and see what I can find as far as train schedules, etc. None of the other options around Le Havre are knocking me out, so even though it will be a long day, I think I'd rather go to Paris!

• 4 weeks later...
I was just a little confused as you mentioned both 2 hours and then 2.5 hours in that initial post. I will check out the web site and see what I can find as far as train schedules, etc. None of the other options around Le Havre are knocking me out, so even though it will be a long day, I think I'd rather go to Paris!

Oops, sorry, more of a type-o on my end. The journey is about 2 hours 10 minutes, so I sometimes round it up or down.

I'm excited to be there, even if it's only 3.5-4 hours. It's better than nothing!

(Ask me this 2 months from now after I've returned and I'm exhausted. :eek::p)

Got it; thanks! I think that we've decided to do Honfleur and Rouen instead. As much as I'd like to see Paris, we've decided that, for us, it's just not worth it to spend that much time traveling for just a few short hours in Paris. We'd spend that much time waiting in line for the Eiffel tower! I'd love to just be able to get off the ship there and take a couple days, but after being away for two weeks, we'll need to head home. Have a great time.

If you must go to Paris the $149 may not be that bad. It will pick you up at the ship, drop you in central Paris, and return youu to the ship.

The train may run every 30 minutes or so but many of those involve a change in Rouen so there really are not as frequent as that. On most weekdays there is a direct train to Paris St. Lazare at 8:03 AM and another at 10:08 AM. The trip takes a little over 2 hours so ifyou could make the 8:03 train you would be in central Paris a little after 10:00.

I don't know when you would have to be back in Le Havre but there is a return at 5:50 PM getting to Le Havre at 7:55 PM.

The standard fare is 30 euro each way, there are cheaper advance purchase fares, so the round trip would be 60 euro or almost $90.

The walk from the port in Le Havre to the station in about 30 minutes or you could take a cab, maybe 10 euro each way.

It is cheaper than the ship's tour but with all of the variables I'm not sure that it is worth the difference.

I agree

Srpilo

We have an overnight stop so we have a lot more time to see Paris .We plan to stay overnight in Paris and get the train back . Has anyone done this and should I buy my return tickets the first day or does it matter. Thanks for all the good ideas everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Another choice is going to Giverny and Rouen with a private tour and stopping at Les Andelys for a picnic overlooking the Seine...that was a perfect day in our estimation

Sherry & Kimber

We will be in le Havre in October and thinking about doing this type of private tour. Can you tell me the name of the tour company you used -- not sure of rules here on cc.

Thank you!

Andrea

We have an overnight stop so we have a lot more time to see Paris .We plan to stay overnight in Paris and get the train back . Has anyone done this and should I buy my return tickets the first day or does it matter. Thanks for all the good ideas everyone.

Has anyone stayed the night in Paris - oh yes!! it is wonderful. You will get the chance to see the Eiffel tower lit up (on the hour during the evening). You will get the chance to go into the wonderful food shops, you will get the chance to just *walk* in Paris. I would love to do that again. Do plan your trip because you can see a lot of this very walkable city if you plan ahead, buy a guide book so you decide what you want to do or listen to a Rick Steves podcast. Make sure that you book your visit to the Eiffel tower ahead of time. You can even visit the Moulin Rouge if you book ahead.

oo la la.

Peter and Nina: So good to hear from you. Sorry we aren't on the same ship. After all is said and done, I have booked a private tour to Mont St. Michel. Google it...it looks absolutely amazing and it is said to be the most visited sight in France after the Eiffel Tower (or so they say).

I looked at your itinerary and it has almost the same ports as we do, but you are there a couple of days before us. I have booked private tours in Vigo, Lisbon, Le Havre and Zeebrugges if you are looking for names there. (Knowing you two, you have already done the work and are all planned:D)

I hope we will cross paths again!

Please say hi to Nina for me.

Amy

I will be in Vigo In Sep. Might you please share the name of the private tour in Vigo? Thanks

Personally.. I feel it is a very long day doing the train trip to Paris and even worse taking the ship bus. Better you take a trip to the Normandy Beach and finish at the amazing seaside village of Honfleur. Do Paris on another trip when you have the proper time to give it!

Another choice is going to Giverny and Rouen with a private tour and stopping at Les Andelys for a picnic overlooking the Seine...that was a perfect day in our estimation

Sherry & Kimber

We will be in le Havre in October and thinking about going to Rouen and Giverny, Did you do these cities on your own or private tour? If private tour, can you recommend them? Thank you.

Andrea

Less than $200.00 a night.

Trip Advisor has a nice search function where you can search by price.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=187147&inDay=4&inMonth=07%2F2012&checkIn=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&outDay=7&outMonth=07%2F2012&checkOut=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&searchAll=true&adults=2&cat_1=1&zff_0=1&geo=187147&refineForm=true&hs=&sortOrder=popularity&availability=&tb=0&add_location_input_filter=&prng_2=2&l1currency=0&propType=on&zfn_0=0&trating_0=0&zfc_0=0&zfa_0=0&unear=&snear=&nameContains=&zfb_0=0&zfb_0=0

That link will list by ranking all hotels that go for less than $200 per night. We booked Gramont Opera Hotel at 207 euros per night. That seems a little over your range. But you should give Trip Advisor a shot and then couple it with your own research. It looks like Trip Advisor has several three star hotels in your price ranked high on their list. Good luck.

We used Hans Gohlen as our driver for Roeun and Giverny..he is with

taxis of leHavre I believe..FABULOUS driver! We saw SO much! We made an entire Shutterfly book of just that one day!!

Also..GREAT location for a hotel in Paris..smack dab in center of St. Germain de Pres.....Hotel LaLouisianne on Rue de Seine..not fancy at all

but the rooms and bath are nice and clean..best buy around..

check it out. Have stayed there 3 times. See my review on Trip Advisor.

Sherry

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=187147&inDay=4&inMonth=07%2F2012&checkIn=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&outDay=7&outMonth=07%2F2012&checkOut=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&searchAll=true&adults=2&cat_1=1&zff_0=1&geo=187147&refineForm=true&hs=&sortOrder=popularity&availability=&tb=0&add_location_input_filter=&prng_2=2&l1currency=0&propType=on&zfn_0=0&trating_0=0&zfc_0=0&zfa_0=0&unear=&snear=&nameContains=&zfb_0=0&zfb_0=0

That link will list by ranking all hotels that go for less than $200 per night. We booked Gramont Opera Hotel at 207 euros per night. That seems a little over your range. But you should give Trip Advisor a shot and then couple it with your own research. It looks like Trip Advisor has several three star hotels in your price ranked high on their list. Good luck.

Do you know anything about the Hotel Du Champ De Mars? It has pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor and seems centrally located.

Thank you for all your help, the information is very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also taking a cruise in Sept and departing the ship early to go to Paris for 4 days. Did you make any train reservations before or did you just get the train schedule and purchase tickets the day you left? Any recommendations on getting to Paris would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

We are also taking a cruise in Sept and departing the ship early to go to Paris for 4 days. Did you make any train reservations before or did you just get the train schedule and purchase tickets the day you left? Any recommendations on getting to Paris would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Are you doing Sept of this year or Sept of 2013? We are cruising Sept of 2013 and getting off the ship in Paris to spend a few days there before going to London for a few days and then heading home.

We may take the cruise tour to Paris or catch a private tour to Paris

• 1 month later...

Like Chris, my small group is jumping ship in La Havre and staying in Paris a few nights.

Thanks to all that are sharing info here.

I am looking for central located Paris hotels (200 range) & possible group tour ideas. Thinking a good tour company that can take a group might be better than doing HOHO or walking 1 day then using 2nd day to walk to things that were of interest by each couple.

Also interested in hearing from anyone that has done the train and how difficult if at all, it is to haul luggage from a 12 day vacation on the train?

• 2 months later...
Are you doing Sept of this year or Sept of 2013? We are cruising Sept of 2013 and getting off the ship in Paris to spend a few days there before going to London for a few days and then heading home.

We may take the cruise tour to Paris or catch a private tour to Paris

We are also disembarking in Le Harve to spend a few days after our cruise Sept 2013. Trying to research all the options now.

Like Chris, my small group is jumping ship in La Havre and staying in Paris a few nights.

Thanks to all that are sharing info here.

I am looking for central located Paris hotels (200 range) & possible group tour ideas. Thinking a good tour company that can take a group might be better than doing HOHO or walking 1 day then using 2nd day to walk to things that were of interest by each couple.

Also interested in hearing from anyone that has done the train and how difficult if at all, it is to haul luggage from a 12 day vacation on the train?

I can give you both.

For walking tours, Sightseekersdelight is excellent. You can do a search of this France thread for more information. We used them for Paris Along the Seine and Montmartre and recommend both.

For hotel, Hotel Gramont Opera is closer to $250. But it's worth it to spend a little more for location and excellent service and help in English by hotel staff in planning your day. Check out Tripadvisor reviews for both the hotel and walking tour company. There is no need for a HOHO as this is a great city for walking.

Archived