Train from Le Havre to Paris

rusticfurnituremaker

Has anyone used the train from the port (Le Havre) to Paris? Any info would be greatly appreciated such as:

How to get to the train station

Where the train lets you off in Paris

If far away from city center in Paris, best way to transport to city center

Cost?

Our cruise line charges $149.00 for the "Paris on your own" bus. There must be a better way.

Thanks so much.

Amy

Station in le Havre is close to the seafront. I am not sure where the cruise port is (the whole place seemed like a port to me!!) or where exactly you will dock though. You could look it up on Google.

The Paris terminal is the Gare St Lazare in the 8th. You can walk from there to the Champs Elysées and of course there is the Métro. Train takes around 2 hours and one runs roughly every 30 minutes. I do not know the cost but it would be significantly cheaper than the ship's transfer...

If you must go to Paris the $149 may not be that bad. It will pick you up at the ship, drop you in central Paris, and return youu to the ship.

The train may run every 30 minutes or so but many of those involve a change in Rouen so there really are not as frequent as that. On most weekdays there is a direct train to Paris St. Lazare at 8:03 AM and another at 10:08 AM. The trip takes a little over 2 hours so ifyou could make the 8:03 train you would be in central Paris a little after 10:00.

I don't know when you would have to be back in Le Havre but there is a return at 5:50 PM getting to Le Havre at 7:55 PM.

The standard fare is 30 euro each way, there are cheaper advance purchase fares, so the round trip would be 60 euro or almost $90.

The walk from the port in Le Havre to the station in about 30 minutes or you could take a cab, maybe 10 euro each way.

It is cheaper than the ship's tour but with all of the variables I'm not sure that it is worth the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Amy, we are on the Star Princess t/a from FLL to CPH leaving on April 24th. I had the same questions as you but the above post makes some sence. We are also torn between Paris and Normandy.

Nice to make another t/a in a year. I don't think you are on the Star because I have not seen your name...in any case nice to see your post.

Peter Blank

Hello Amy, we are on the Star Princess t/a from FLL to CPH leaving on April 24th. I had the same questions as you but the above post makes some sence. We are also torn between Paris and Normandy.

Nice to make another t/a in a year. I don't think you are on the Star because I have not seen your name...in any case nice to see your post.

Peter Blank

Peter and Nina: So good to hear from you. Sorry we aren't on the same ship. After all is said and done, I have booked a private tour to Mont St. Michel. Google it...it looks absolutely amazing and it is said to be the most visited sight in France after the Eiffel Tower (or so they say).

I looked at your itinerary and it has almost the same ports as we do, but you are there a couple of days before us. I have booked private tours in Vigo, Lisbon, Le Havre and Zeebrugges if you are looking for names there. (Knowing you two, you have already done the work and are all planned:D)

I hope we will cross paths again!

Please say hi to Nina for me.

Amy

I'd just like to make a few comments. Whilst it is possible to take either the train or excursion, you will be doing around 5 hours travelling to get about 5 1/2 hours in Paris. On our recent RCI trip, the ships 'on your own' excursion left 1 1/2 hours late, which meant the passengers who took it only got 4 hours in Paris. Many angry faces! Personally I think this is a total waste of time for a city like Paris. Go for a couple of days post cruise or do Normandy would be my advice.

Simon

It's a quick taxi ride from the pier to the station in La Havre. Can't remember the cost but it isn't much.

If you get to the station and the train is about to leave don't worry about standing in linde for ticket. Get onboard and the conductor will sell you a ticket. I imagine you'd have to have euros.

It is true that even with the train you have only a limited amount of time in Paris so pick only one or two sights to see and enjoy walking and cafe's to fill out the time.

There is a mid afternoon train back to La Havre and one later in the afternoon.

By the way the Eiffle Tour is not doable in so short amount of time.

Enjoy.

Has anyone used the train from the port (Le Havre) to Paris? Our cruise line charges $149.00 for the "Paris on your own" bus. There must be a better way. Amy

As several posters have noted there are other options, but there are trade-offs and other logistical factors to consider. Ship tours are not all the best, but they can have some advantages. It is possible that your ship tour by bus might have a guide on it who can give background on Paris, point out sights enroute, answer questions, give a little "introduction" around the town as you drive in to your drop-off point, etc. Ask some more questions, find out what you'll get, where they drop you in Paris and do the pick-up for your return, etc. In checking now, you would have nearly a $100 round-trip cost with a rail trip, just for the train ticket, plus some delays waiting till the train departs. Some times there is either 30 minutes or 60 minutes between train departures.

Below are some visual samples for what you can see and enjoy in Paris.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Notre Dame, a little jazz is being played in front of this famed church:

NotreDmJazz.jpg

At the Tuileries, there are gardens, cafes and places to sit, watch and enjoy near the Louvre:

TulGardensScul.jpg

The Eiffel Tower with a statute in the foreground:

EilfelStatue.jpg

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805: :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

At the Sunday market near the Bastille, fresh seafood:

MarketSeafood.jpg

Terry: I have seen your photographs previously and am, again, awed by them. You are a great photographer!.

We have been to Paris a couple of times before on tours arranged by the ship (before I wised up and have started arranging my own). After much thought, I have booked a private trip to Mont St. Michel and am thrilled to be seeing something else. I thank you again for your photographs and am sure they will inspire other cruisers who see them.

Amy

Terry: I have seen your photographs previously and am, again, awed by them. You are a great photographer!.

We have been to Paris a couple of times before on tours arranged by the ship (before I wised up and have started arranging my own). After much thought, I have booked a private trip to Mont St. Michel and am thrilled to be seeing something else. I thank you again for your photographs and am sure they will inspire other cruisers who see them. Amy

THANKS, so much, Amy! Glad you have such great judgement and wisdom to share super, nice thoughts. You've made my day!

Your private trip to Mont St. Michel should be great. I am having some of my earlier pictures from the "film" and "negative" days converted to digital. Will try to post some of those later. Here are a few different, added visuals of Paris for those who have not yet considered their options in this great and wonderful city.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In Paris, along the Seine, this is a view of the Louvre from the d’Orsay Museum:

ParRiverLouvre.jpg

Looking at Notre Dame, this angle shows the flying buttresses supporting the walls:

ParNtDmFlyingBt.jpg

Inside the d”Orsay Museum with post-1850’s art, an old train station was converted to housing treasures, including from Monet, van Gogh, Renoir, etc.:

ParDOrsyInside.jpg

At the d’Orsay Museum, this was the grand dining room of the hotel that was part of the previous train station. Now, dining here breaks up the day during a long day of standing and walking:

ParDOrsDining.jpg

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612.:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

This is one scenic part of the large park grounds around Luxembourg Palace:

ParLuxGardens.jpg

As the subject comes back I re-post here a comment I put elsewhere on the same subject:

Warning, just to be aware: Le Havre - Paris is approx. 200 km (approx 125 miles) and even mainly by highway it takes more than 2 hours each way. In total it will be close to 4 h 30 5 hours for the trip up and down only depending from the traffic. Then you have seen nothing from Paris yet. Traffic is Paris is not always evident. They will probably show you only Champs Elysées and alongside the Seine (Cathedral, Eiffel tower...) and a few highlights just passing by. Not too much time available to walk in Montmartre and many other places of this beautifull City. :confused::confused:

As the subject comes back I re-post here a comment I put elsewhere on the same subject: Warning, just to be aware: Le Havre - Paris is approx. 200 km (approx 125 miles) and even mainly by highway it takes more than 2 hours each way. In total it will be close to 4 h 30 5 hours for the trip up and down only depending from the traffic. Then you have seen nothing from Paris yet. Traffic is Paris is not always evident. They will probably show you only Champs Elysées and alongside the Seine (Cathedral, Eiffel tower...) and a few highlights just passing by. Not too much time available to walk in Montmartre and many other places of this beautifull City.

Many excellent points are made in this post. It depends, in large part, on how much port time they have. Some cruises are only in port for 7-9 hours. Other ships are, however, docked at Le Havre for 12-14 hours. Paris deserves much more than a "drive by". BUT, if you have those 12 or so hours in port, it helps and you can see and do much during 6-7 net hours in Paris. Then, there is the classic question of whether it is better to have never seen Paris, or to get a little sample of time there. It's a personal choice, but more port time helps significantly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Is the 5:50 the last train from Paris to Lehavre?

Anyone have the train website. I think the ship transportation leaves at 5pm...I was hoping we could stay in Paris longer by using the train. We don't sail till midnight.

We did the train to Paris. We took a taxi to the station, which isn't that far away maybe two miles away. Then we bought tickets to Paris and they weren't outrageously priced or I would have remembered. It took longer than I was expecting. The train took about 2.5 hours and it seemed like a very long ride.

In our case we disembarked on day 11 of a 12 night cruise in Le Havre and so we didn't have to make the return trip to LeHavre. Instead we stayed two night in Paris and flew home from there.

May I suggest perhaps doing a different excursion because I do think its a long way to travel for such a brief visit to Paris. There are other places that might be nearer to the ship that are just as lovely.

The reason I say this is because Paris really is a place that needs to be savored. The Louvre would eat up the whole time you are in Paris and there wouldn't be any real sense in trying to do the Eiffel Tower, unless you book a meal at one of the Tower restaurants. I just think you won't have much time to enjoy it in only 5 hours.

We did the train to Paris. We took a taxi to the station, which isn't that far away maybe two miles away. Then we bought tickets to Paris and they weren't outrageously priced or I would have remembered. It took longer than I was expecting. The train took about 2.5 hours and it seemed like a very long ride.

In our case we disembarked on day 11 of a 12 night cruise in Le Havre and so we didn't have to make the return trip to LeHavre. Instead we stayed two night in Paris and flew home from there.

May I suggest perhaps doing a different excursion because I do think its a long way to travel for such a brief visit to Paris. There are other places that might be nearer to the ship that are just as lovely.

The reason I say this is because Paris really is a place that needs to be savored. The Louvre would eat up the whole time you are in Paris and there wouldn't be any real sense in trying to do the Eiffel Tower, unless you book a meal at one of the Tower restaurants. I just think you won't have much time to enjoy it in only 5 hours.

If you can do it and it is your next to last stop, you may want to disembark and visit Paris for a few days or otherwise return from London and stay there a few days.

The daytrip via train is very do-able, but you MUST get an early start from the ship. We had planned to take a taxi to the train station, but they were having a labor disturbance when we got off of the ship, so we walked through the picketers and then walked to the station, took about 15 minutes. By the way, all of the ships tours were delayed by three hours because of the strike since busses would not cross the picket lines, so people who took the bus trips to Paris really only had about three hours of time in Paris. The train took a little over two hours and we got to see a lot of scenery along the way, very relaxing. In Paris we had lunch at a great little cafe, walked over to Notre Dame, did a little shopping and really enjoyed a marvelous sunny spring day. We had been to Paris previously so we really just wanted to soak up a little atmosphere. Our friends returned to the ship in plenty of time a 9Pm departure), and my husband and I stayed over since our next port was near Brugges. That evening we walked thru the Rue Cler area, found a wonderful bistro for a steak frites dinner, then stopped at a patisserie (sp?) and picked up some delicious pastries to take with us. We ended up eating the pastries sitting on a bench near the Eiffel Tower while we watched the lights come on. It was a wonderful evening! The next morning we were up early, stopped for croissants and cafe creme and caught the train to Brugges where we met up with our friends at the train station. If you have the time and the right itinerary, consider staying over-it really makes the trip!!

• 9 months later...

Ship docks at 7 am Le Havre on a Thursday and the train leaves station at 7:59. Next train is much later. I don't know the procedure for getting tickets and how long it might take. Figure, off the ship quickly, cab to station, get ticket and board by 7:59. Gets you into Paris at 10:10. I really do not trust the ship excursions. We would like to return to Paris and London later ( next year) for more time, but this is may not be possible due to time and budget. Thanks

I am thankful for all the tips on these boards. Our ship will dock in LeHavre from 7am to 8pm. This is our only chance to see Paris (technically a "bonus" stop on our British Isles trip) and we'd like to take the 8am or 9am train there. Visit from 11:30 to about 4pm. And take the 3:45pm train back, getting in at 6pm leaving a 2 hour cushion between sailing. Yes, it's only 4.5 hours.... but I'd rather be there for 5 hours than not at all. I hope this doesn't make me sound too crazy! :rolleyes:

We have been to Paris a couple of times before on tours arranged by the ship (before I wised up and have started arranging my own). After much thought, I have booked a private trip to Mont St. Michel and am thrilled to be seeing something else. I thank you again for your photographs and am sure they will inspire other cruisers who see them.

Amy

How far is Mont St.Michel from the cruise port?

We are on the June 7 sailing on the Caribbean Princess British Isle cruise, and we are also thinking about taking the train to Paris. It does seem like a lot of traveling, but I'm not seeing anything else in the area that is really doing it for me. Does anyone know if the train is above or underground? Does it make several stops along the way? Also, does anyone know the cost?

Thanks

We are on the June 7 sailing on the Caribbean Princess British Isle cruise, and we are also thinking about taking the train to Paris. It does seem like a lot of traveling, but I'm not seeing anything else in the area that is really doing it for me. Does anyone know if the train is above or underground? Does it make several stops along the way? Also, does anyone know the cost?

Thanks

It is an above-ground train. I'm not sure if it's a super high speed train like the TGV, but it must go relatively fast to get there in 2 hours. It's 2.5 hours if you pick a nonstop trian from LeHavre to Paris. Try National Rail or SCNF's website. I have seen the cost fluctuate anywhere from 28 euro's to 55 euro's depending on the date and time that you choose for your ticket.

Archived