Booking with Seabourn

KyleSS

Never buy on line. An Independent travel agent will give the best service. Look for a small office in your city. I use a one man guy for the last 35 years. and his service is the best. But the one think you have to know is what you want. I do the research and he does all the work. It works out best for me.

I concur that you should always use a travel agent that specializes in cruises so that you get the best fares and advice about the choices you will be making. Such a travel agent should represent a degree of impartiality as he assesses your interests and needs; you won't get that when dealing directly with a particular cruise line.

I have never believed that cruise lines are in the business of sales. It's not their forte. They may start the new cruise transaction for you when you place an onboard deposit which would offer a certain additional discount on the final fare that your own travel agent will collect from you when he completes the reservation. There is no conflict of interest in this flow and it is customary. Further, the travel agent usually gets his full credit for the sale from the cruise line. (Of course, you have to be on board to do this but if you are happy with your first cruise you really should make an on board deposit in anticipation of going again.)

It goes without saying that one should not book cruises online with the cruise company.

Regards

There are TA's who specialize in the high-end lines, such as SB. My opinion: you'd do well to use one of those. (One of the travel mags does an annual listing of who's top in their fields. ) That's how we settled on our TA. Although they are Canada-based and all our contact has been phone and e-mail, it's been a satisfactory relationship. The TA has knowledge of the ship(s), plus we've always gotten an on-board credit from them.

>"I have never believed that cruise lines are in the business of sales."

I have also found that the lines' agents are surprisingly uninformed about the specifics of their ships. On one issue, I got 3 separate answers for one question and all were very incorrect.

Better an agent who has sailed with the line you are choosing.

Kyle,

I would definately recommend booking you cruise with a knowledgable agent. The TA I use is part of a large travel consortium, has been on several cruises with Seabourn, SilverSea, and is hosting an upcoming Regent cruise. He is able to get me upgrades, discounts and other perks because of his relationship with the lines both propfessionally and personally. Its a plus when you find an agent that has experience mainly with the luxe lines..

Host Dan

I just booked my first Seabourn (first luxury cruise ever) sailing last week. I used the same methods I've been using to book on the larger ships and as far as I can tell, anyway, it's worked out well. Basically, I figured out what cruise I wanted, then used a comparison shopping website to find the best deal. I also independently called a very well rated luxury TA just to see what they might have going. While they were very friendly, their price was firm (and even with a rebate, a good bit more than my lowest quote) and they gave me questionable cabin selection advice. (I realize everyone's tastes are different but their recommendation went contrary to what I've been reading on this board...)

The company that had the lowest price ended up to be a very unprofessional, disorganized, understaffed nightmare. I usually try to book with the company that advertised the price (rather than ask another TA to compare) but given the shoddy way they treated me I didn't feel bad using their quote to request a price match from a big, online TA I've used twice previously without incident. They accepted it. I didn't get any special service, the entire booking with the new TA took less than 10 minutes, no extra advice or frills, but a good price which that and a correctly booked cruise is all I am really looking for. I prefer to do my own research about the line and answer my own questions.

Yes, book with a TA but shop around. Ask "what will you give me it I book with you?" You'll be surprised, I have recieved answers from nothing to pre/post cruise hotels, onboard credit, or rebates. Once you find a good TA support her/him but keep your eyes open.

I have both booked directly and used a travel agent. Based on that experience, the specialized TA (Virtuoso) got me a better deal than booking direct. Specifically, in addition to the discount which I would have got anyway, I got a cabin upgrade and a free tour. I would estimate the value at being at least $1000 and maybe even a little more.

Archived