~ Tales of lost luggage ~

ckrobyn

One of my biggest fears about travel is losing my luggage!

As soon as I get off the plane....

I stand guard by the luggage carousel praying to the luggage Gods to let all of my bags arrive safely and on time :rolleyes:

As I am standing there in a cold sweat, I often wonder what I would do if my luggage did not come down that ramp and onto the carousel???:eek::eek:

Has anyone arrived at their port only to have their luggage arrive somewhere else or not at all? What did you do for clothes on the ship? Of course this is assuming you have no time to shop in the port city and are heading straight to the ship....

Let's hear your stories!

Friends of mine went on a cruise in the 90s and their luggage didn't make it from their flight. I think they were given a couple of hundred dollars to buy clothes, which was a bit of a rush because they flew the day of the cruise.

Somehow their luggage showed up at their cabin door the next day... :confused:

My daughter never got their luggage for a honeymoon cruise. They even flew in the day before. They did some quick shopping the morning of the cruise and got an evening gown, shorts and tops and underware. RCCL offered them t shirts and personal items. They loaned the son in law a tux free of charge. They wore the same clothes over and over and tried not to let it spoil their trip. The cruise line also gave them free laundry. The kids never got their luggage and settled with the airline several months later after daily phone calls and basically haressing the airline. They got $2000 total which did not replace all the nice clothes, suit, shoes and dresses that were lost. Their second cruise they did just fine going but coming back it took 10 days for their luggage to be found.

We have had bags delayed right up until sail time several times even though we fly the day before. In November our bags were routed through Chicago ( we never went near there). We had to rent a car and drive back from Miami to Fort Lauderdale to get them.

So yes I get this stomache ache every time we fly. We have a little dance if our bags arrive with us because so often they do not. We plan to go to the Med in May and I think we'll go 2 days early just because of the bags. We are taking a weekend cruise in MArch and will stuff our carry ons full and not check a bag at all.

Robyn, that is a fear I have more now, with the "no carry on" rule out of Toronto. I always stuffed our rollerboards with alot of clothes in the event we lost our luggage. That way we could just buy a few extra items and be OK.

We lost one bag on American Airlines coming home once, so that didn't bother me, and we were compensated by AA for it.

Cross packing helps if your luggage is lost and your travel partners is not.

I agree. I always pack half-and-half in two suitcases, right down to the shoes! And, since I overpack all the time, and so does DH, one suitcase of clothes would be just fine for a 7 night cruise!:D

Robyn, that is a fear I have more now, with the "no carry on" rule out of Toronto. I always stuffed our rollerboards with alot of clothes in the event we lost our luggage. That way we could just buy a few extra items and be OK.

We lost one bag on American Airlines coming home once, so that didn't bother me, and we were compensated by AA for it.

As far as I am aware, we are still allowed carry on's - have you experienced this first hand?

I agree. I always pack half-and-half in two suitcases, right down to the shoes! And, since I overpack all the time, and so does DH, one suitcase of clothes would be just fine for a 7 night cruise!:D

Great idea :D Just may do that in March to be on the safe side!

Enhanced Security Measures at Pearson

Date of Release: Jan 08, 2010

Passengers are advised that additional security measures have been imposed by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transport Security Administration on flights from Canada to the United States and will remain in place until further notice. Effective immediately, US bound passengers are not permitted to bring carry-on luggage into the cabin of the aircraft. There are some exceptions to this ban - full details can be obtained at:

Ok, here is a question. We are told not to put valuables in our checked luggage. We are told not to lock our checked luggage. Now we are told no more carry-ons. Everything has to be checked. Any one else see a problem with this?

Yes we have lost our luggage two years in a row. Fortunately we always fly in the day before so we were able to use our Visa insurance to purchase what we needed. However we were thankfully told that our luggage would arrive on the next flight so we had some extra essentials.

Ok, here is a question. We are told not to put valuables in our checked luggage. We are told not to lock our checked luggage. Now we are told no more carry-ons. Everything has to be checked. Any one else see a problem with this?

This is pertaining to Canadian flights departing to US destinations. You are still allowed to carry-on cameras, Laptops and purses some other items too like medications, baby food etc. I have not read the details but they did say that this is only temporary. I have mixed feelings about it but really if it's in the name of safety then by all means go for it.

We always fly out of Detroit so that will not effect us this time around but DTW has some extra security these days too, all good by me.

As far as lost luggage, I too pack a little in each suit case to mix it up, and I worry all the time.

RCCL lost one of our bags right after our cruise. They had tried the Valet Service where they pick up your bags the night before and send them to the airport, and for some reason mine was sorted into this pile, despite the fact we had the correct tag.

Once RCCL found the bag, they returned it to the seaport! So, RCCL shipped it home. It arrived a week later. ALSO, it was our only bag with no wheels! So, we didn't have to drag it through either airport!

Note: Be sure to charge your cell phone the night before. We made a lot of calls that day.

Has anyone arrived at their port only to have their luggage arrive somewhere else or not at all? What did you do for clothes on the ship? Of course this is assuming you have no time to shop in the port city and are heading straight to the ship....

Let's hear your stories!

My BF's nephew missed a flight connection to Barcelona for a Med cruise. He made the cruise but his luggage didn't. I think the ship offered him laundry services, and some coupons or credits to buy shirts and toiletries in the gift shop. I think they usually offer men a free tux rental for formal nights as well.

I think guys have it lot easier if luggage is lost. They can rent a tux from the ship for formal night, and can make do with little more than a razor, toothbrush and a few other, readily available toiletries. Shorts and tees from the gift shop suffice for daytime, and bathing suit shopping isn't a big deal for them.

Women are much worse off if luggage is lost. You're pretty much outta luck for formal night, and good luck finding a suitable bathing suit from amongst a limited selection, and you certainly won't find any make up or curling irons in the gift shop.

I keep taking Mexican Riviera cruises so I can drive to port and I strictly carry-on my bags cuz I don't want that happening to me. In 2011, I'll be flying into Honolulu so I will have that fear. People look at us in disgust when we lug our bags onto the ship (they are all carryon style-small) but we've heard too many horror stories including after they drop off with the porters at the pier. They make mistakes & deliver to wrong cabins and & the people don't notice or something so they go the whole cruise without bags only to find out someone had wrong bags & didn't report it. :rolleyes: We bought the collapsible 2 wheel cart that holds at least two of our bags and we usually have 2 bags per person plus a shoulder bag. I'm willing to tote my own bags to avoid the risk of not having my clothing on a cruise. I also buy insurance which should cover anything if it is lost or stolen.

American Airlines lost one of our bags, on our way home after a cruise. They didn't really loose the luggage. We were on one of their smaller aircraft, their Eagle plane. Flying from Miami to Pittsburgh. So in Miami, they decide there will be too much weight on the plane, and take off 5 suitcases. Ours was one of them. They sent them on a flight through NYC, then on to Pittsburgh. AA delivered our suitcase the next evening. Everything was there.

I always cross pack our suitcases. Also, DH & myself always take a carry on each, with as much stuff as I can pack into them. Also, my purse is of the larger style, so I can keep my camera, medications, important travel docs, a book, and a couple other misc. things in it.

Delta out of P.R., removed our luggage once due to weight problems but didn't tell us. When we got in at 1:00 AM (plane connection delays), no luggage. It took them 3 weeks to find it and it wasn't even the airline but the luggage delivery people they use that found it. The woman took the day off and went personally to the person who had our bags in their home and got the bags. These people had not returned calls or e-mails, etc. They knew it was not their luggage but did not call the airline. Delta did a poor job, but due to a good samaritan we finally did get our bags.

Recently, upon disimbarking from Explorer in NJ, Royal sent our garment bag at the terminal to their lost and found to be shipped to us. We got our other bags, but no garment bag. We had all the ID and all the bags were placed together early in the eve. Go figure? It cost us $45 for UPS delivery 4 days later. Just take your undies and other important things in your carryon or handbag if necessary.

C

I think I will wear my swimsuit under my clothes on the plane

thats one of my concerns with flying so far we ve never lost or had our luggage lost

crossing fingers e tc as we re flying 2 days before our crusie on Jan 22

Enhanced Security Measures at Pearson

Date of Release: Jan 08, 2010

Passengers are advised that additional security measures have been imposed by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transport Security Administration on flights from Canada to the United States and will remain in place until further notice. Effective immediately, US bound passengers are not permitted to bring carry-on luggage into the cabin of the aircraft. There are some exceptions to this ban - full details can be obtained at:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been this way in Canada for a few weeks.

The Canadian head security people are supposedly having another meeting next week, and hopefully they will allow carry on luggage again. One web site said we were the only country not allowing carry on.

We have a cruise in 2 weeks and I like to have something with me to ease my mind, that I have back up clothes in case my case does not make it.

Archived