Cabin that faces side ways or normal?

ssatterly

I am booking today and I am booking an inside on deck 9...I can either pick a normal facing cabin or on that is side ways...The normal facing one is very close to the wall ont he same side as the OV cabins or the other choices would be like cabin 9511 .. that are in the middle at the front be face side ways..Which is better and why?

Am I right in guessing that you are actually referring to the placement of the bed within the cabin?

We just left Oasis and had an inside cabin 11275; the bed was placed facing the side of the ship. In the past, our inside cabin beds have faced forward, toward aft, and toward side of the ship and it never seemed to make a difference once inside the cabin-however, on Oasis be prepared for a very small cabin. My biggest complaint would be the lack of drawers (only 3) and very small closets. The good though is that the beds are higher and accommodate extra deep suitcases very well.

Whichever cabin you choose, you are bound to enjoy this ship--it is fabulous!

Am I right in guessing that you are actually referring to the placement of the bed within the cabin?

We just left Oasis and had an inside cabin 11275; the bed was placed facing the side of the ship. In the past, our inside cabin beds have faced forward, toward aft, and toward side of the ship and it never seemed to make a difference once inside the cabin-however, on Oasis be prepared for a very small cabin. My biggest complaint would be the lack of drawers (only 3) and very small closets. The good though is that the beds are higher and accommodate extra deep suitcases very well.

What I am saying is that the entire cabin faces diffrent than the others... Does it make a diffrence?

OK, let me try again:)--do you mean if entrance to the cabin is either going forward or going aft such as cabin 9450? Yes, we have had a cabin like that and, again, it really doesn't matter once you are inside the cabin. It is the same layout as a cabin like #9149. Does this help?

OK, let me try again:)--do you mean if entrance to the cabin is either going forward or going aft such as cabin 9450? Yes, we have had a cabin like that and, again, it really doesn't matter once you are inside the cabin. It is the same layout as a cabin like #9149. Does this help?

I think so.. I was just wondering since it was placed difrent would you feel more or less motion?

Sorry I didn't get back to answer sooner.

In my experience there really wasn't any difference. But if so, I would think it would more likely be due to which direction the bed was facing.

But then, we rarely notice movement on a ship. Actually look forward to a little rocking of the ocean at night.

• 1 year later...

gadaboutgal:

Thank goodness! Not only did someone on the board mention that they had a category Q, but it's the same cabin - 11275 - that I'll be in come February 4, 2012. My in-laws willl have 11277 next door. It's like nobody wants to write about these small 150 sq. ft. cabins in reviews, or whatever. I've been in similar cabins on the Independence & Freedom - size-wise and with the beds against the far wall facing the door - and liked them.

My fellow cruisemates - some who have never cruised before - need reassuring. I've shown them pics of our interior cabins on the other two ships. As well, they have seen guests' pics of the bigger 172 sq. ft. interior category L, M & N versions (as well as the generic photo on the RCI and travel websites), but they insist on viewing some actual guest photos of the Oasis' (or Allure's) category Q versions. They are just curious as to what's been 'sacrificed' to make it smaller than the bigger interior versions (Category L, M & N)?! Smaller sitting area? Smaller washroom? Do you have more info, or even better, any photos of the cabin 11275 to bring closure?! Perhaps I should mention that if I manage to secure a photo, I get free drinks on the first night of our cruise. Not a big drinker, so it won't be costing them much!

BTW, can you hear any noise from Dazzles nearby. And that library! ;)

Appreciate you time and consideration,

We have cabin 10675, Q category one deck down from 11275 on opposite side, on both our Oasis and Allure cruises so this thread is very appropriate for me, will look forward to the replies:)

I have already learned that I mustn't forget my shoe holders as there are only 3 drawers:(

I am booking today and I am booking an inside on deck 9...I can either pick a normal facing cabin or on that is side ways...The normal facing one is very close to the wall ont he same side as the OV cabins or the other choices would be like cabin 9511 .. that are in the middle at the front be face side ways..Which is better and why?

We HATED our sideways cabin. The worst for us was the location. If it's next to a white area on the deck plan, that's probably a service door for the crew. That door was about 2 feet from my head at night, and they are in and out all night long.

Also, my side of the bed (DH had to be closest to the wall plug for his CPAP) had absolutely no room to walk to my side of the bed. I had to crawl across the bed to get in. This is with the two beds together.

I would not recommend this cabin configuration.

We have cabin 10675, Q category one deck down from 11275 on opposite side, on both our Oasis and Allure cruises so this thread is very appropriate for me, will look forward to the replies:)

I have already learned that I mustn't forget my shoe holders as there are only 3 drawers:(

Thanks for the reminder! I will bring shoe holders as well. Might also take along an over-the-door hook if closet is too small. Speaking of cabin space, someone suggested moving the coffee table into the closet to make more space.

When are you cruising on OoS and AoS?

Done both, and the only major difference I found, is which way do you want roll in high seas? Left to right, or up and down :D (as in head up, feet down then feet up, head down).

While the stabilizers stop most side to side motion, they don't stop the up and down motion (pitching). If your bed is running long wise down the ship you go up and down, if it's running across the ship, you go left and right.

Lydia

Thanks for the reminder! I will bring shoe holders as well. Might also take along an over-the-door hook if closet is too small. Speaking of cabin space, someone suggested moving the coffee table into the closet to make more space.

When are you cruising on OoS and AoS?

We are sailing this December , 3rd on Oasis and 11th on Allure, staying overnight in between at the Hilton Marina courtesy of RCI :). We booked the same cabin on each ship so that by the time we had had the week on Oasis we would know our way around already when we got on Allure;):D.

If I read your question correctly, those sideways facing cabins are usually at the front or aft of the ship so they are the longest walk from the elevators and in rough seas move up and down the most.

The motion is completely different while sleeping (or trying to), the one will be rocking side to side like a cradle, the other will be forward and back like a swing. But until you try it, you won't know which you prefer or even if you notice. Personally, I prefer a cabin where the bed is oriented so that I get the side to side motion. (But not enough to give up an aft balcony cabin when I can get one)

We are sailing this December , 3rd on Oasis and 11th on Allure, staying overnight in between at the Hilton Marina courtesy of RCI :). We booked the same cabin on each ship so that by the time we had had the week on Oasis we would know our way around already when we got on Allure;):D.

Two weeks on Oasis class ships. Sounds great! And you have a shorter wait until you do so than me – I’m jealous!

Hope you have a great time.

Feel free to snap some pics of that cat. Q cabin of yours! I’m determined to get those free drinks on my first cruise night for coming up with an actual for-sure picture of a Q cabin! Want to put that behind me and find more quests in order to get free drinks for the rest of the cruise :D!

I actually like the sideways cabin layout. It seems like there is more room in the cabin. Walking in the door you can turn one way to the closet & bath, and the other way to the bed. The last time I had a cabin with this layout, there was no sofa, only a single padded chair. Of course that made more room in the cabin as well.

I have been in several inside cabins. Most of them have been with the door facing the outside cabins. Once our cabin ran lengthwise as you descirbed. The two were not different as far as motion is concerned. However, the outside wall of our cabin was along the main corridor and was quite noisey.(choose a cabin that is closer to the centre of the ship)

I hope my post makes sense:confused:

When it comes to motion and sleeping, I have never noticed if the cabin orientation has made a difference. Of course, i am usually dead tired by the time I get to bed!!! I will pay more attention next cruise!

I too like the interior cabin, especially for the total darkness! Have not been in one on the Oasis as of yet. Anyone who has or will be, let us know what it's like, please.

Two weeks on Oasis class ships. Sounds great! And you have a shorter wait until you do so than me – I’m jealous!

Hope you have a great time.

Feel free to snap some pics of that cat. Q cabin of yours! I’m determined to get those free drinks on my first cruise night for coming up with an actual for-sure picture of a Q cabin! Want to put that behind me and find more quests in order to get free drinks for the rest of the cruise :D!

Thank you,I am sure we'll have a great time. I will keep this thread book marked and will come back with a photo, promise:)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

We have been back one day from our mega trip which included the B2B on Oasis and Allure. Having the same cabin on each ship was one of the smartest moves we have ever made:cool:. The location was absolutely perfect as we are D+ guests and had access to the wonderful concierge lounge one deck above.

The cabin was sandwiched between two others which had a room steward's service room at the side of each of the other cabins. We had no noise issues whatsoever from the service rooms or from Dazzles.

There was a retractable washing line in the shower which our friend in a CP balcony did not have:(.

On Oasis the electrical outlets , both European and USA , are under the dresser top, on Allure they have rectified this stupid location by putting an extension cord through a hole on the dresser top . There was an Ipod dock on Allure.

Other than these two improved items on Allure the cabins were identical and the bed faced forward as soon as you entered the room. On Allure I did a cabin tour from the CC roll call, of all the cabins I viewed including a K/L inside my cabin was the only one with a forward facing bed.

Hope these pics turn out okay

http://travel.webshots.com/album/582033158RubYfu?vhost=travel

Hi all,

We have been back one day from our mega trip which included the B2B on Oasis and Allure. Having the same cabin on each ship was one of the smartest moves we have ever made:cool:. The location was absolutely perfect as we are D+ guests and had access to the wonderful concierge lounge one deck above.

The cabin was sandwiched between two others which had a room steward's service room at the side of each of the other cabins. We had no noise issues whatsoever from the service rooms or from Dazzles.

There was a retractable washing line in the shower which our friend in a CP balcony did not have:(.

On Oasis the electrical outlets , both European and USA , are under the dresser top, on Allure they have rectified this stupid location by putting an extension cord through a hole on the dresser top . There was an Ipod dock on Allure.

Other than these two improved items on Allure the cabins were identical and the bed faced forward as soon as you entered the room. On Allure I did a cabin tour from the CC roll call, of all the cabins I viewed including a K/L inside my cabin was the only one with a forward facing bed.

Hope these pics turn out okay

http://travel.webshots.com/album/582033158RubYfu?vhost=travel

Great pictures! Thanks a million! Once again, glad you had a great cruise!

45 days and counting!!

Archived