New Cruiser on Independence

ian09

Hello everyone,

As someone who has been on eight cruises, the last one being five years ago I am asking these questions for my girlfriend who is a first time cruiser. Essentially I want her to have the best time possible on the Independence of the Seas (8 day Eastern, March 6th) so these questions are mostly for my gf who is 23 and is a first time cruiser. As someone who frequently went on cruises when I was younger with my parents (now 25) I want her to have as great as time as possible so it will be easy for me to convince her to cruise again.

First of all I have been reading reviews recently for this ship after I booked, mostly negative towards the food, service, and entertainment. Are these simply a few bad experiences in the midst of many positive or is this a growing trend with this ship? As well, what do most younger women wear for the dinner dress codes so I can provide her with attire suggestions. And finally, since I taked along with my parents when I went to these places before, for a younger couple what are some of the better land excursions (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee)? Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

If she's never cruised, she'll have nothing to compare it to. The food on almost every line has declined in quality and presentation in the last 5 years or so....but no one will ever go hungry. Cruises are still a good value for the money...just not as "top-notch" as they used to be!

I thing the "thumbs down" folks give come from people who have experienced cruising when it was much more....fancy....(can't think of a good description!!!)

If you're an adult---young or old, you should wear what the suggested dress is....most nights are casual, so capris, skirts, slacks, etc....are fine. For the formal nights, she should wear "evening wear"---doesn't have to be a "prom" dress, but evening appropriate attire is what most will be wearing. Gown, cocktail dress....eveningwear!

When trying to convince folks to cruise for the 1st time, too much info can tarnish their experience. Say that it will be fun, and let them experience it for themselves!

Hello everyone,

As someone who has been on eight cruises, the last one being five years ago I am asking these questions for my girlfriend who is a first time cruiser. Essentially I want her to have the best time possible on the Independence of the Seas (8 day Eastern, March 6th) so these questions are mostly for my gf who is 23 and is a first time cruiser. As someone who frequently went on cruises when I was younger with my parents (now 25) I want her to have as great as time as possible so it will be easy for me to convince her to cruise again.

First of all I have been reading reviews recently for this ship after I booked, mostly negative towards the food, service, and entertainment. Are these simply a few bad experiences in the midst of many positive or is this a growing trend with this ship? As well, what do most younger women wear for the dinner dress codes so I can provide her with attire suggestions. And finally, since I taked along with my parents when I went to these places before, for a younger couple what are some of the better land excursions (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee)? Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I just finished the 8 night eastern Caribbean on the Independence on 12/20/09. We had our 27, 28, and 33 year old sons and a fiancee with us, and they LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED THIS CRUISE!!

There were a few problems over the holidays with the service, but we did not experience this at all. Our cabin steward was fantastic, and our wait staff in the dining room, too. I would not worry about service.

The only problem we had with the food was the Windjammer did not have a lot of selections. However, there are so many, many places to eat on the ship, that you should not have a problem. I love eating in the dining room with their bistro menu, and we are diehard Windjammer eaters, too!!

The entertainment was the best I've seen on RCCL in years, and I've been on a lot of RCCL cruises in the past several years. Out of 8 nights there was only one that I didn't care for; the rest were EXCELLENT, especially the ice show.

My sons and future DIL loved the rock climbing wall and the flowrider.

They went on the hiking excursion in St. Thomas over to St. John and loved it!! San Juan: they walked up to Morrow Castle, toured it, and walked back. We were in port on a short stay that day. St. Maarten they went snorkeling.

Labadee is a blast! We all enjoyed that, and they spent a lot of time just laying on the beach, playing frisbee, and enjoying the gorgeous ocean. It's a beautiful place.

My son's fiancee wore mostly short dressy cocktail dresses on formal nights, and look fabulous. Slacks and knit tops the rest of the nights.

Have a wonderful cruise, and don't worry. I was on 3 RCCL ships last year, and the Indy impressed me.

Since this will be her first of many cruises..relax she will love everything about the INDY..We along with our adult age children (25-30) have sailed on her several times..Have never had a negative experience with anything about her..You GF is not new in how to dress..If she asks for an opinion assure her she has great taste and will look beautiful..She will pack probably way too much but will then be able to play it by ear and what she is comfortable in. Don't think that you have to preplan every minute of every day while at sea or in port...Relax it's a vacation for both of you do some research on ports together... go with the flow and be flexible..Enjoy !!!

make sure she gets a pedicure and manicure before hand - and has 2 - 3 swimsuits - as you will spend most time poolside or beachin' it!

for ST Thomas, Megans Bay is always beautiful - it was ranked 1 of top10 beaches in the world!

st Martin...well, orient beach is a party and fabulous! you can take a little boat out to the island. always fabbulous!

dress like you want - it is all good!

make sure she gets a pedicure and manicure before hand - and has 2 - 3 swimsuits - as you will spend most time poolside or beachin' it!

for ST Thomas, Megans Bay is always beautiful - it was ranked 1 of top10 beaches in the world!

st Martin...well, orient beach is a party and fabulous! you can take a little boat out to the island. always fabbulous!

dress like you want - it is all good!

Good advice -- also, if you want to swim/sunbathe as soon as you get on the ship, make sure you have the appropriate clothing (AND FOOTWEAR) with you in your carry-on luggage. I know friends who remembered the swimswuit/cover-up but only had big bulky sneakers for shoes, lol...

I remember our first cruise....not only was I wearing BLACK (the standard color for January...which was when it was), but I very soon was burning up while I waited for our luggage to arrive.

It never occured to me that the 30-degree temps we left in Memphis would be the high-70's in Miami. I guess I didn't think it would be "cruise time" until the boat left the port, lol....

Thankfully, the luggage arrived shortly afterward, but it's something I try to remind first-time cruisers...

I also agree about the pedicure BEFORE getting on the ship....

Get up early and reserve a chaise lounge as they will be taken up on sea days quickly. You can wear jeans 4-5 nights, and there is only 2 formal nights on the 8 night cruise. Lunch better in the dining room than the windjammer. No lines for anything. Have fun.

as a new cruiser - the dress up nights are fun.... and the smart casual nights are great too! dress smart - skirts - the sundresses, sandals.... etc...

also.....don't forget to bring a sweater...sometimes the inside rooms are cold.

don't over pack...to easy to happen.....pack, then remove 1/2 of whatever you have in your bag! :D if you need something...you will remember you're inteh caribbean...and won't miss it!

Hello everyone,

Hi Ian 09. I am going on the IOS with you and your GF. please go to the roll call boards and join out group. We have a meet and mingle set up for our cruise that is grwoing in numbers as the cruise gets closer.

As for attire most young ladies, dress pants and a nice top on formal nights a black dress or soething not over the top fancy..Don't put too much thought into the reviews, every one has opinions they may just be different from the next.. I read them more for curiousity sake, see how the CD was, the entertainment,etc..but don't wory about it too much you can draw your own conclusions.

We booked the catamaran and snorkel our 1st time in St Marten and loved every second of it, this time we are doing the beach randezvous, in St Thomas we are doing the turtle cove snorkeling, in San Jaun we are going to the bacardi rum factory and we are doing the Malfini beach getaway in Labadee...

Come join the group on the roll call boards and go from there..

If you are active types, in St. Maarten, I've done the Loterie Farms zipline/challenge course, an ATV tour, and parasailed/jetskiied at Orient Beach. All were a good time.

As to attire, if she enjoys dressing up, formal nights are fun to go all out. I always bring floor-length (sparkely!) dresses for formal nights. (By no means is this what everyone does, but I have never felt overdressed...there are plenty of people who do the same. There are also plenty of people that won't dress up at all...pretty much anything goes anymore.)

• 2 weeks later...
Get up early and reserve a chaise lounge as they will be taken up on sea days quickly. You can wear jeans 4-5 nights, and there is only 2 formal nights on the 8 night cruise. Lunch better in the dining room than the windjammer. No lines for anything. Have fun.

Just curious, where are the chaise lounges?

Archived