So frustrating!

rarescrambler

We've had our plans made for several months now for a barefoot cruise out of Nassau to celebrate my husband's retirement (This Friday is his last day!!)

We booked the cruise and air (Atlanta to Nassau) in August, but now I see the air fare could be had for about $75 less per ticket! Not having that crystal ball, we booked right away, but now we're penalized for planning ahead. If we changed or cancelled, we'd get dinged with a $150 fee.

I don't believe anything can be done, but it's just frustrating - it's a game to figure out how to get the best fare, and we lost this hand.

. . . but I'm still frustrated. Just venting - that's all.

You should have bought Ford Stock 6 months ago and you would have had plenty of money to afford first class air.

Would you feel better if the Air was $200 more??

ENJOY YOUR CTUISE

You should have bought Ford Stock 6 months ago and you would have had plenty of money to afford first class air.

Would you feel better if the Air was $200 more??

ENJOY YOUR CTUISE

At least I would feel that I got what perhaps is the "best price" for the flight. Is that wrong?

This is the same as using a coupon to purchase an item, or shopping for a discount during certain hours or on certain days. To me it just means that they could sell the item for that reduced price, so am I wrong for trying to get that reduced price when I make my purchase? If they can sell it for a certain, reduced price, why do they make you jump through hoops to get that price?

I have no illusions that we could afford to fly first class, nor would I had we "purchased Ford stock 6 months ago".

We're just normal working-class people who try to get things at the best possible price, and get frustrated with the games that are played.

At least I would feel that I got what perhaps is the "best price" for the flight. Is that wrong?

This is the same as using a coupon to purchase an item, or shopping for a discount during certain hours or on certain days. To me it just means that they could sell the item for that reduced price, so am I wrong for trying to get that reduced price when I make my purchase? If they can sell it for a certain, reduced price, why do they make you jump through hoops to get that price?

I have no illusions that we could afford to fly first class, nor would I had we "purchased Ford stock 6 months ago".

We're just normal working-class people who try to get things at the best possible price, and get frustrated with the games that are played.

I totally understand your frustration but -

You did get the "best price" for your trip at the time of your purchase. You didn't have to jump through any hoops. Air fare constantly fluctuates; I don't see this as a game. Airlines try to make money, just like any other company. There will be people who paid much more than you did on the same flight, and perhaps some people who paid less than the price you are seeing now. It's just the way it is.

I wouldn't be too upset and waste time beating myself up over the fact the airfare dropped by $75 per ticket. You did pretty well. Focus on enjoying your trip and leave this frustration behind. Stop looking at fares!!

I have always hated the idea of not getting the best price possible, or even worst yet, me feeling I was ripped off.:o

Most price today are "locked in" once you book, and you are charged some sort of fee that does not even make the re-book worth it.

I try to do as much research as I possibly can and just dive in and try not to look back. :)

I have a terrible habit of rechecking hotels, airlines, cruiseprices, and shuttles, just to make sure I did well.

I finally told myself, when I feel it is a good price, book it.....and don't look back:eek:

Easier said then done, but I am getting better at it....:D:D

You "get" what I'm feeling. I know I shouldn't do the check back thing as I'm setting myself up for disappointment. It is what it is - we will have a good time on our trip. I was just venting a little.

The alternative is to wait until the last minute and pay the full coach price.

I hear you! I have been looking at the same flights for our July cruise for about two weeks now, thinking "eh, maybe they'll go down". They haven't budged. I just hate the idea of booking them and then they go down, or waiting and then they go up:rolleyes: I like feeling like I got the best deal possible. Someone once posted this...."Book it and don't look back". I may just have to do that:)

I hear you! I have been looking at the same flights for our July cruise for about two weeks now, thinking "eh, maybe they'll go down". They haven't budged. I just hate the idea of booking them and then they go down, or waiting and then they go up:rolleyes: I like feeling like I got the best deal possible. Someone once posted this...."Book it and don't look back". I may just have to do that:)

That is what I do - book it and don't worry about price changes. You are locked in at the price so why be bothered getting worked up if it goes lower.

Don't even waste the time thinking about this. You've probably spent $75 of your time worrying about it!

Ford stock?:eek: Rats.

Lets face it, if you've not returned 50% in the last 6 months you've done something horribly wrong! ;)

Well, actually it is.

The "Ford stock" analogy was very apt, because that is how air tickets are priced. It's a giant commodity market, with prices constantly moving up and down. You gamble on price every time that you buy a ticket. That's what deregulation has brought.

You could have waited and saved that $75 per person ... or the flights could sell out and you'd have a cruise with no way to get there. I belong to the school of find a fare you can live with, buy it and know you've got a way to get to the cruise. I'll keep looking for and getting my bargains on the cruise, but I'm personally not going to mess with making sure I'm going to get there by hedging for a cheaper air fare.

I always check airline prices before booking any vacation for which we will have to fly. Often when booking early I know I'm not not seeing the exact airline prices I'll see when I do book my air but I always have an idea of what prices to expect for the timeframe when it comes time to book. If what I'm seeing in likely airline prices is more than I'm willing to spend I choose other dates to book our vacations. Sometimes other locations for our vacation. Once we've committed to where and when to vacation I know I'm at the mercy of the airlines as to what price range I'll likely find when it's actually time to book my airfare. I book that airfare when I find flights I'm happy and see fares for those flightts that are in the range I'm ok with paying. Sometimes I'm thrilled with the prices I book and other times simply ok. Since I need to check our flights to be sure times haven't changed and because I'm a curious person and know the knowledge could come in handy at a later date I occasionally look to see what's happened to prices since I booked. Its been rare that I've seen the prices on the flights I've booked come down and when they have its usually in the $10-$30 pp range. More often they have risen in the $20-$100 pp range and sometimes higher. While an occasional "oh rats" my come out of my mouth it never crosses my mind to be frustrated or need to vent when I see a reduced price on our flights. We have flights I'm happy on with prices I was ok with when I booked and we're going on a vacation so life is good!:)

Archived