Handbag advice for lady travelers

shoesonfire

Looking to purchase a serviceable, lightweight purse for travel purposes (air flights, cruise, excursions, etc.), and don't want to wear tummy packs (is that what they're called??) any ladies that can give suggestions, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance

For those who aren't interested in the PacSafe bags, I suggest a bag that can go across your body (long shoulder straps) and with a zip top. If you are especially concerned about security, a zip-top bag can be secured closed with a large safety pin.

Better yet, only carry non-essential items in your bag and put any real valuables (cash, credit/debit cards, passport) in a money belt worn inside your clothing, or a "bra stash".

I like the cross over the shoulder bags that zips closed. I use a "D" ring that I hook on to the strap and clip my camera bag (it's actually a cell phone holder that my camera fits in perfectly) and that stays in the purse. I use a zippered money bag & that too crosses over my chest, but I wear that under my clothes.

I like to carry an extra "D" ring, and if and when I use a shopping bag or backpack I'll clip things on the D ring to the straps and tuck it inside & zip it up.

( I love D rings...)

In re-reading this... boy I sound paranoid, but then I feel confident my things are with me.

There is some good advice on this thread. My DW insits on a fanny pack (even though I disagree). I made a couple short lanyards consisting of two 's hooks (similar to D-rings)' and about 14" of 150 test fish line. Nearly invisible. Hook to each end of the fanny pack and then to belt loops on the pants on opposite sides. Cut the fanny pack straps and it still isn't going anywhere.

Although they aren't exactly Louis Vuitton bags, these certainly serve their purpose:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Shop_by_Brand___PacSafe_BagsLB379?Args=

They're the Pacsafe ones and they have the cable in the shoulder strap, although it's not noticeable at all. Also, the strap is long enough to wear over your head and have your bag nice and low on your hip (not geeky-looking right under your uhm..."chest" :D ).

I've used mine for years in Paris, London and all over Mexico and the Caribbean. They are lightweight, organize just about everything you need to take with you, and hold a bottle of water easily too.

If you haven't actually seen the PacSafe bags, I'd advise you look at one before ordering them. I wasn't very happy with the one I tried. It seemed smaller than the advertised dimenions and.....well, it's not very stylish. To me it screams "tourist". I know that's not so important to some, but I'm often traveling on business, not just vacation. Even when I am on vacation, I usually dress well (no tennis shoes, no camera around the neck).

I prefer to just use a relatively safe bag that I'd be happy to carry at home, and keep my real valuables hidden in my money belt.

Fanny packs in Europe scream "tourist"!!

I agree that you don't need a special pacsafe bag but can use any bag that has a long over the shoulder strap.

I wouldn't keep valuables in my bag anyway. I use a travel wallet that goes around my neck and usually under a shirt sweater etc.

You just need to be smart about your things as you would be in any large city anywhere in the world!

I'll be the first to admit, I am a handbag snob! I cannot, in good conscience purchase a pacsafe bag, because they are not at all stylish, and like another poster posted, won't be any use to me at home. Also, the colors the bags come in are not going to work for my summer outfits, as I need a neutral brown/saddle, a cream and a navy - yes, I am bringing 3 bags just for touring!

That being said, I am having the hardest time finding a good travel bag. I found some nice totes (which I would normally use at home) but am a little worried because I cannot wear them cross body. Being short, many cross body bags that are big enough to tour with, and hold everything that we may need, are too big for me.

From a safetly standpoint, I am thinking that in all but the reportedly 'worst' areas for pickpockets (Athens, Barcelona), and for the airport/cruise transfer, just using my tote bags, as planned. All my totes have main compartment and interior zippers, so I am thinking of using this...

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/lock-purse-security-clip-p-81.html

I think that I can attach this lock to either the main zip compartment, or to the inside zip compartment, where I will have my wallet. At least one bag I plan to bring has a key ring loop attached near the inside zip, so I can link the two together.

If anyone has any experience with this lock, or has found a fashionable, preferrably cream or off-white bag (not tan!), please let me know!

Thanks!

I found a travel pro bag; looks like that Buxon one they advertise. I also have a light Eagle (something) that has some light material that goes against your skin and three pockets and a zip and a little pocket that you can put your credit cards in. I wear it around my neck

....From a safetly standpoint, I am thinking that in all but the reportedly 'worst' areas for pickpockets (Athens, Barcelona), and for the airport/cruise transfer, just using my tote bags, as planned. All my totes have main compartment and interior zippers, so I am thinking of using this...

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/lock-purse-security-clip-p-81.html

I think that I can attach this lock to either the main zip compartment, or to the inside zip compartment, where I will have my wallet. At least one bag I plan to bring has a key ring loop attached near the inside zip, so I can link the two together.

If anyone has any experience with this lock, or has found a fashionable, preferrably cream or off-white bag (not tan!), please let me know!

Thanks!

That lock is interesting, but keep in mind it won't help if someone slices your bag to get at the contents.

Personally, I wouldn't carry a wallet in any bag. I use a hidden pocket that attaches to a belt and goes inside my pants.

People also need to realize that the criminals easily recognize PacSafe bags and know their weak spots (they're not reinforced everywhere and the diagrams are on their website.) Also a PacSafe bag sends a message that you've got really valuable stuff inside it so you may be more of a target.

That lock is interesting, but keep in mind it won't help if someone slices your bag to get at the contents.

Personally, I wouldn't carry a wallet in any bag. I use a hidden pocket that attaches to a belt and goes inside my pants.

People also need to realize that the criminals easily recognize PacSafe bags and know their weak spots (they're not reinforced everywhere and the diagrams are on their website.) Also a PacSafe bag sends a message that you've got really valuable stuff inside it so you may be more of a target.

D4: All good points; thanks for the post.

And that is why I use either a moneybelt or a bra stash; never have to worry at all if you use those!

I bought a shoulder strap bag at http://www.Travelsmith.com that has a steel cord in the strap and zippered top with security features and a flap over this. When worn across the body I fell very comfortable with it. It comes in 2 sizes and I bought the small which suits my purpose. The most common theft is the pickpocket or the slash the strap and go.

Carol

I love my MEC Small Carry All Shoulder bag. it's a messenger style bag that's big enough for my wallet, camera, sunglasses, book, gloves, scarf, small water bottle and my travel umbrella. Made of balistic nylon and only $19 canadian.

incredebly lightweight and durable. I live in canada, but there is a number you can call to order from the usa. If the link doesn't show you can look up mec dot ca

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699955&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441773379&bmUID=1263498187334

Click on "Play Video" for this bag:

http://home-solutions.hsn.com/buxton-the-bon-voyage-organizer_p-5586440_xp.aspx?web_id=5586440&ocm=sekw

I just bought it. I have a nice organizer bag with the security cables in it, but I like all the organizer pockets that this one has and it looks like it might hold more stuff too. The price is certainly reasonable!

This is not a fashion bag but it is wonderful. No safety features just lots of pockets to store stuff!!

http://www.rei.com/product/786598

I personally like this bag. Once again no safety features like Cables in the strap but I like it. :)

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Handbags/Mailbag/154872/defaultColor/Imperial%20Toile/pc/638/p/154872/pageSize/15/sc/641/c/0/currentIndex/15.uts

I am a big fan of the pac safe bags. I have used the small one as an everyday bag since our trip to Barcelona 2 years ago. Easy to organize, very durable and washable.

Just got the larger city safe bag as a Christmas present, and can't wait to try it out on the next cruise.

I love my MEC Small Carry All Shoulder bag. it's a messenger style bag that's big enough for my wallet, camera, sunglasses, book, gloves, scarf, small water bottle and my travel umbrella. Made of balistic nylon and only $19 canadian.

incredebly lightweight and durable. I live in canada, but there is a number you can call to order from the usa. If the link doesn't show you can look up mec dot ca

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699955&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441773379&bmUID=1263498187334

All the responses were good on travel handbags, but I particularly like this one, I intend to look into this soon for my upcoming cruise. Thanks so much, to everyone!

I have a bag made by Travelon. I bought it on QVC. I have carried it everywhere. It has a great compartment in the back where you can hide extra money or passports. It is lightweight and I wear it across my neck and shoulder. It is well made , and wasn't real expensive. They carry this brand at Kohls, but I have never seen this bag here. I think it was called a messenger bag.

I have a combo of things for overseas travel. I have a bra stash which snaps around your straps inside your top. You just can't wear a skin tight blouse so it won't show. They are small (about the size of a credit card) and also could hold some folded bills. I also have the small PacSafe bag and a wallet that is chained inside. Overkill, perhaps but I've never gotten pickpocketed. Just make sure to keep the majority of your valuables in the hotel/cruise safe and only take out what you may need for the day and you won't ruin your whole trip.

I have the small PacSafe in a neutral color and true - it's not stylish but it's hands free when I am walking and I figure it doesn't matter since I won't know anyone over there anyway. As for knowing the weak spots in the purse, as a thief I'd go for someone that's a much easier target (not looking, with their purse open, etc). Also, as for screaming tourist, I think most tourists are pretty easy to spot no matter where they are (visiting here or us going overseas).

Hi all! After reading these posts, I started up my search again and just purchased this:

7768-926322-t.jpgFossil Castille Traveler (purchased at zappos.com)

It is a softer white than pictured, and it holds my wallet, a small makeup bag (for all the little items that float around the bottom of my bag), a bottle of water, a light sweater, and sunglasses, with room for misc other items, maps and tickets. There is an interior pocket in the mail compartment.

The back of the bag has a zippered outside pocket with another interior zipper, which is where I will put my wallet, as well as other random pockets. I will secure the back zipper with the purse lock I posted earlier.

It is leather, but not heavy, and a cross body, so I think that it will work fine. Best of all, this color white was on sale! I am going to keep an eye out for sales in another color, but thought that others might be interested, as I think it has most features needed in a travel purse, and is somewhat stylish. The only thing lacking is the wires sewn in to prevent slashing, which may be overkill anyway.

Hope this helps!

Hi all! After reading these posts, I started up my search again and just purchased this:

7768-926322-t.jpgFossil Castille Traveler (purchased at zappos.com)

It is a softer white than pictured, and it holds my wallet, a small makeup bag (for all the little items that float around the bottom of my bag), a bottle of water, a light sweater, and sunglasses, with room for misc other items, maps and tickets. There is an interior pocket in the mail compartment.

The back of the bag has a zippered outside pocket with another interior zipper, which is where I will put my wallet, as well as other random pockets. I will secure the back zipper with the purse lock I posted earlier.

It is leather, but not heavy, and a cross body, so I think that it will work fine. Best of all, this color white was on sale! I am going to keep an eye out for sales in another color, but thought that others might be interested, as I think it has most features needed in a travel purse, and is somewhat stylish. The only thing lacking is the wires sewn in to prevent slashing, which may be overkill anyway.

Hope this helps!

Nice looking bag! How heavy is it? (Some leather bags can be very heavy, which I don't like.)

Archived