Guitar

connera3

How annoyed would you be with a passenger that brings and plays his guitar? My DH has never been on a cruise but is SET on bringing it. I have tried telling him in my infinite cruise wisdom based on previous cruises and countless hours on these boards that it will be a waste of money to check it on the plane and that there is so much other stuff to do that he won't miss it. I just don't want him to be "that guy".

If he plays well and doesn't sing too loud on your balcony or on the pool deck, probably most people wouldn't mind.

LOL!

Actually, occasionally I have seen someone boarding with a guitar, but have never encountered a passenger playing one on the open decks, or on a balcony close enough to mine to hear them.

How annoyed would you be with a passenger that brings and plays his guitar? My DH has never been on a cruise but is SET on bringing it. I have tried telling him in my infinite cruise wisdom based on previous cruises and countless hours on these boards that it will be a waste of money to check it on the plane and that there is so much other stuff to do that he won't miss it. I just don't want him to be "that guy".

My husband is also a guitarist, so I sympathize, but I think many, many people would be annoyed. I would be annoyed.

I was just reading the FAQ yesterday for my upcoming cruise, and I believe on Carnival it is a prohibited item unless you are booked to perform on the ship. So you may want to check out your cruise lines rules!

And to answer your question, I would annoyed depnding on where on the ship he played it.

Nearly every cruise line bans musical instruments being brought on board. Hard lessons learned from complaining customers!

He absolutely will not be allowed to play it outside on a pool deck or balcony or in any of the public rooms. I wouldn't bother hauling it.

I am so glad I asked this question and I am actually thrilled that this is a banned item and we can move forward without it!!!:D

Glad you learned that now, she would not be happy when they confiscated the guitar at the dock.

Some cruise lines prohibit instruments unless you are part of the entertainment staff....

One of them is Carnival.

Personally, I would be annoyed......preferring the sound of my own music....or, better yet, the sound of the sea.....

That all being said, if he is good - have him ask entertainers on board to 'sit in'. They may very well accommodate him, or politely say no.

We were on a cruise once where a very young pianist kid was on board. By the end of the cruise, he seem to be playing more in the various piano venues than the staff. The other PAX enjoyed it, I hope it was not much bother for the staff. It made this kid's week I think.

Banned or not on Carnival I have seen several guitar and banjo cases brought on by passangers. Last cruise that I had on the Holiday there were two guys that played every afternoon on one of the side decks for a couple of hours. They accumilated a crowd each day within minutes of starting. They were actually very, very good and had been playing together for years. Never saw any staff getting upset about them playing onboard. They also played the talent night and blew everyone away.

...We were on a cruise once where a very young pianist kid was on board. By the end of the cruise, he seem to be playing more in the various piano venues than the staff. The other PAX enjoyed it, I hope it was not much bother for the staff. It made this kid's week I think.

Inquiring minds want to know ... did he bring his own piano?;) An upright, or a baby grand, perhaps?:)

He won't be allowed to bring the guitar on board. It's one of the things listed on the cruise line websites as as banned. If he tries to bring it, it will be confisgated and put away until disembarkation day.

My hubby brought his guitar on our Hawaiian cruise on Princess. We were driving to the port so it was just a matter of fitting it in the town car we hired (15 days worth of luggage including a guitar case and our sedan's trunk, not compatible). He also wanted to bring his own pillow as he doesn't like the ones on the ship, so that went into the guitar case.

The biggest problem was finding a place to play it outside of the cabin as there was continuous music piped in everywhere. He finally found a spot by the specialty restaurant entrance that fit the bill. Didn't hear any complaints. One day he was joined by two others who had brought their guitars. On the Hawaiian cruise, one of the ship's musicians gives ukelele classes. They have a number of ukes to borrow for that class, but some people like my daughter brought their own uke.

My husband is also a musician so I wouldn't mind (assuming that he plays well, not too loud, not obnoxious music [problem there - one person's obnoxious is another's soul rhythm!]) I'm assuming no amp is coming, that he will be satisified with playing unplugged.

Sounds like a hassle. But, so long as you don't have to be responsible for it, doesn't block your way to the bathroom, doesn't take your side of the bed, etc., let him do what he wants. Not your problem.

We've taken dh's guitar on plenty of road trips. But I would never cruise with it. at off hours, I figure he can go take over the piano in a bar if he feels the need to flex the golden pipes.

Good luck. I know how guitars can become extensions of themselves.

I am very happy for anyone to bring an instrument with them. I am however, going to be very unhappy if I can hear it being played. I sail to enjoy the peace and quiet when I want to and to enjoy the music available at the set venues on the ship when I want to.

I am just off a cruise where a passenger decided that an open piano in a lounge was the perfect place to get his 4-hours of practice in a day. You could tell the guy was truly gifted, but unfortunately there was no "music" ... just scales over and over and over and over and over. Complaints would stop him for a time, but he'd always come back. If you can find a suitable place, good for you, but one passenger should not be able to dictate the envionment of an entire inside space.

Archived