Equinox: Code Red!

C 2 C

The word is not official but many people have/are suffering from GI.

Passengers can't get their own drinks and the coffee lines are long.

I was sitting near the dance floor three days ago and guy walked by hurling on the carpet and chair in front of me and continued on walking to the elevator.

The chlorine smears are everywhere and clothing is being damaged.

Both my wife and I have suffered and every second passenger we talk to but no one bothers to contact people in self imposed exile. The official total will be much lower than the obvious but unofficial "body count".

Passengers can't get their own drinks and the coffee lines are long.

I was sitting near the dance floor three days ago and guy walked by hurling on the carpet and chair in front of me and continued on walking to the elevator.

The chlorine smears are everywhere and clothing is being damaged.

Both my wife and I have suffered and every second passenger we talk to but no one bothers to contact people in self imposed exile. The official total will be much lower than the obvious but unofficial "body count".

Are you eating in Blu?

The official total will be much lower than the obvious but unofficial "body count".

Only the passengers that go to the medical center to report their symptoms are counted. Everyone should report it so the rooms can be sanitized from top to bottom when they have been cleared to leave their rooms. I'm afraid a lot ofpeople would prefer to be out and about rather than quarranteed. Thus the wild fire spread of noro. :rolleyes:

For our upcoming SA cruise on the Infinity, we are bringing a spray bottle and plan to buy Rx alcohol at the Farmacia and disinfect the room when we board. Between preventions and antibiotics and stomach meds that's all we can do.

It's a shame a new ship like the EQuinox is already hit. We sailed her in October and had a great cruise, albeit we were food poisioned in Cairo.

Thank god for meds.

sorry to hear this is going on. My hubby was struck with a GI problem our first night on board the Oosterdam over Christmas. I reported it right away and they asked him to stay in the room. The nurse stopped by that evening to check on him, the cabin stewards came in and sanitized the room that day (he went out on the balcony) and then the nurse stopped by in the morning at the promised time of 8am. He was given a clean bill of health so it wasn't noro but instead bad pepp. pizza. It was a boring day in the cabin for him but he respected the rules.

As a side note, the nurse mentioned the next day that they do monitor the cabins who have reported in. The cabin steward is aware of it, phone calls to the cabin came in and she said they also monitor it on the cameras.

Hope this passes and the ship is sanitized.

Sorry to hear your cruise was affected like this & I do hope you both feel better soon.

I saw crew out spraying the stair rails on the Century cruise I was on, but was not aware of any outbreak. It's a shame when people (like the fellow who got sick leaving the lounge) don't just take the high road and confine to their cabin until they are well. It would protect the health of others and there's no way he was able to enjoy being up & about the ship feeling like that anyway.

Arno, Sorry to hear about this crusie. Nothing worse than being on a bleach cruise. We had one of those on Zenith and it ruined the whole cruise for us. It gave us a bad taste for a ship that most people loved. When in the elevators stay away from the rails. That is how our clothes got all the bleach stains on them. Here's hoping your next cruise is better.

Pat

Equinox Code Red

The first indication that there was a problem occurred on day three when a guy vomited while walking through the lobby about 7:30pm while I waited for the party band to arrive. One of the characteristics of NLV on past cruises (we have survived 5 without suffering its effects till now) is the lack of warning when the body tries to expel the offending stomach contents. When I called the bar server over to call clean up staff, the reaction was very quick. An officer, followed by masked cleaners arrived to vacuum the area and to spray the asthma inducing chlorine compound used.

The next day hand cleaners were visible in every lounge and staff was also stationed outside the dining room to dispense the cleanser.

On day 5, friends with whom we dined at the Captain’s table, informed us they had quarantined themselves while both had suffered from GI.

The next day we noticed the tell tale residue on elevator buttons.

Unfortunately the seas were very rough Monday Night and Tuesday and I believe many people thought that their illness was an indicator of sea-sickness not GI.

We had a very large meal in Tuscan Sunday night and my DW thought that her offering at 2:30 am to the “porcelain goddess” was the result of too much food. However she was too dizzy and tired to leave her bed for the next 24 hours. By 6 pm that evening the thought of food was repulsive to me and I went to the cabin and slept propped up by pillows in a near vertical position to keep the bile from rising. The waste basket was next to the bed just in case. Over the next 12 hours my sleep was frequently interrupted by visits to the toilet. Unlike my wife, I did not vomit but expelled the offending stomach contents by a more southerly route. I also spent most of the next 24 hours sleeping.

Despite the fact that the attendant did not enter our cabin except for replacing towels for two days, no one contacted us to determine if we were ill. No report was made. When I visited the medical facilities at 11:30 am yesterday it was closed. In the Oceanside Café, guests were not able to touch their own plates and cutlery. Coffee and tea were dispensed by staff. Obviously there is a problem. At dinner last night there were no bread baskets, butter, salt and pepper. These are minor inconveniences while the ship tries to contain the problem. However other friends required medical assistance in the morning and there was an overflow crowd. In the evening again there was a line out the door and people being told to return later. There were passengers there who were under quarantine. My unofficial poll in Michael’s club, the elevators, and general gatherings confirmed at least 100 people have suffered. The hours of operation of the Medical Center are 9:00am – 11:00am and 5:00pm to 7:00pm. I tried to report our experience with whatever ailed us as did our friends. I will not sit in a waiting room with dozens of other victims awaiting medical attention. The reason that the numbers will be under reported is that only the most serious cases went for care during the hours convenient for the medical staff. However there is no mechanism set up by Celebrity for passengers to report.

There is an oral vaccine called Dukoral that, while it doesn't guarantee bulletproof protection, goes a heck of a long way towards preventing GI issues.

We had noro once and vowed to never go through it again, and that's why we take this 2-step vaccine well in advance of travelling. We'd much rather prevent it than treat it...but we also pack Immodium AD etc just in case.

To the OP, I hope you can salvage what's left of your cruise. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

It only says it kills upto 99% of targeted germs.

The phrase UPTO would casue me to think twice. Its not really guranteeing anything is it.

Only if you use it throughout the entire ship...and even then, all it takes is one infected person to touch an elevate button to spread it around again.

Keypoint; protect yourself. Practice flawless finger behaviour. Think twice before touching any part of your face if you haven't properly washed your hands first. But we do things unconciously (ie rubbing an eye, nibbling a bit of finger food or-- hopefully not in public--poking around noses) and that's how it gets into us.

Happy Healthy Cruising,

Alan

It only says it kills upto 99% of targeted germs.

The phrase UPTO would casue me to think twice. Its not really guranteeing anything is it.

good point.

Only if you use it throughout the entire ship...and even then, all it takes is one infected person to touch an elevate button to spread it around again.

Keypoint; protect yourself. Practice flawless finger behaviour. Think twice before touching any part of your face if you haven't properly washed your hands first. But we do things unconciously (ie rubbing an eye, nibbling a bit of finger food or-- hopefully not in public--poking around noses) and that's how it gets into us.

Thinking more for the stateroom ~ cannot find much info online that discusses how effective they are.

Does the noro virus only effect cruise ships at certain times of the year or is it a year round kinda thing?

Stomach Flu can occur year round, but is more likely in the winter. Here is a link the CDC's information about Norovirus:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

In nursery school now they teach the children to sneeze or cough into their bent elbows! It keeps your hands a bit more germ free.

They should have a proper sneezing class with the muster drill. How often I've seen someone sneeze into his hand, push an elevator button and then touch the railing. I learned a while back to use my knuckle to push the elevator button.

And then the dirty kleenex that get left around. If people would just be courteous the viruses would have a little harder time spreading.

Handwashing frequently is essential! But the other little tips help too!

Archived