Equinox: Code Red!

C 2 C

Boarding was indeed delayed (more on that in my review after the cruise).

Boarding commenced around 2:00 PM, maybe a little after. We were on by 2:30 but you could not go to your stateroom. Staterooms were not available until close to 4:00 PM. All in all, I thought passengers were mostly patient. Onboard crew very pleasant (major crew change today as many went on vacation; others just getting on).

All in all, I'm thankful they spent the time with the extra cleaning. Just got to our cabin. You can definitely tell it has been thoroughly cleaned by the smell. Not overpowering but definitely can tell.

Here's to a great cruise (the staff in the Specialty dining when I went to check my pre-booked reservations were awesome -- needed to combine some reservations since prebooking only allows you to book six at a time and I have 14 in my party).

Probably won't post much during the cruise but I will have a review complete shortly after our return.

LOVE this ship....altho at quick glance, I think I prefer some decor items better on Solstice. Personal preference. More on that later!

Time for Bon Voyage!

Arno ~ great cruise on Solstice and thanks for the update!

Norovirus is a VIRUS (hence name -NoroVIRUS). Please , please do not use old antibiotics to treat this. This kind of attitude is what create drug resistant bacteria in our society. Believe me when I say , none of what a drug resistant bacteria. This is one of the biggest health problems today.

Cipro , by the way , is a 2nd generation antiobiotic used for gram negative bacteria. It is effective in treating E. Coli , which is a very serious cause of diaherra. It can cause kidney failure , even death. Believe me , it is NOT what causes your cruise stomach flu. Read your CDC reports on cruise ship outbreaks (NORO is almost always the cause).

For diaherra and vomiting , you need oral rehydration , rest and the BRAT diet , if you can keep foods down. All over the world , probiotic called Saccharomyce Boulardii is being used to reestablish intestinal flora , including those patients with AIDS , chemo patients and those with traveler´s diaherra. It is safe and natural. In the U.S it is not common yet (it is used in Europe , Australia , SA and many other places. ).We always travel with it and it is very effective. (My husband is an hemo-oncologist , by the way).

Please , pleas don´t use Cipro. This is very serious and is on of the major causes of one of the biggest health problems that could affect ALL of us in the long run-drug -resistant antiobiotics. ( I am repeating this for emphasis.)

Cipro is not going to help with norovirus, and it has been associated with tendon rupture. Really not a good idea to take this med unless your MD has prescribed it.

Interesting, because this is exactly what our physician and good friend prescribe for us whenever we cruise. He says it will take care of severe stomach issues and any infections we may develop. He drives many mission trips and Cipro is their drug of choice for treating those in need.

PS - I am not suggesting that anyone else use this. I do know that it is not to be given to anyone under the age of 16, or to those that are still growing as it could stunt growth. Our physician prescribed other medicines for our children when they were under that age.

I can assure you at least 60 percent of all passengers were ill.
it was indeed a code red on the ship with the norvo virus over 350 cases as i was told by a crew member.

Hmmm- I thought the ship held more passengers than that!:rolleyes::D

I know this is off-topic, but Anne, do you think you'll be able to post the dailies and MDR menus when you get back? Would greatly appreciate seeing them before our cruise on Equinox in March!

Boarding was indeed delayed (more on that in my review after the cruise).

Boarding commenced around 2:00 PM, maybe a little after. We were on by 2:30 but you could not go to your stateroom. Staterooms were not available until close to 4:00 PM. All in all, I thought passengers were mostly patient. Onboard crew very pleasant (major crew change today as many went on vacation; others just getting on).

All in all, I'm thankful they spent the time with the extra cleaning. Just got to our cabin. You can definitely tell it has been thoroughly cleaned by the smell. Not overpowering but definitely can tell.

Here's to a great cruise (the staff in the Specialty dining when I went to check my pre-booked reservations were awesome -- needed to combine some reservations since prebooking only allows you to book six at a time and I have 14 in my party).

Probably won't post much during the cruise but I will have a review complete shortly after our return.

LOVE this ship....altho at quick glance, I think I prefer some decor items better on Solstice. Personal preference. More on that later!

Time for Bon Voyage!

Interesting, because this is exactly what our physician and good friend prescribe for us whenever we cruise. He says it will take care of severe stomach issues and any infections we may develop. He drives many mission trips and Cipro is their drug of choice for treating those in need.

PS - I am not suggesting that anyone else use this. I do know that it is not to be given to anyone under the age of 16, or to those that are still growing as it could stunt growth. Our physician prescribed other medicines for our children when they were under that age.

Hmmm- I thought the ship held more passengers than that!:rolleyes::D

Those are two different quotes from two different people. You must be bored. 350 people may have reported it but I assure you a thousand did not for fear of quarantine. Now run along and go roll your eyes somewhere else.

CruisinManiac-

Perhaps you misunderstood...I am not suggesting that one should never take Cipro . It is a important antibiotic which should only be used when prescribed by a doctor for a diagnosed bacterial infection. Diarrhea can be caused by bacteria , parasites , viruses...( these are only a few of the causes). Cipro should only be used in bacterial infection (such as E. Coli-mentioned above) which needs to be evaluated and prescribed by a physician.

If you self -diagnose and take antibiotics when not needed , you are setting yourself ( and perhaps others) for possible drug resistant strains of bacteria. This is one of the health system´s nightmares. I suggest reading about Cipro´s side effects and the illnesses it treats . It does not treat viral infections such as Noro.

Caladvoc8-

Your post is excellent and has many important points. It is not wise to blindly follow medical advice on the internet . Your comments on Norovirus were on spot.

However , I´d like to elaborate a bit on Saccharomyces Boulardii and its use.I absolutely encourage all fellow CC members to research this subject more extensively . I think many of you will find it very valuable.

Saccharomyces Boulardii is NOT a prescription drug. It would be hypocritical of me , admonishing self diagnosis and self medication , to recommend a prescription drug online. It is a probiotic...100% natural , available over the counter. In the U.S , it is marketed under the name Florastor ( I just found this out through research , as I buy it under another name in Brazil). There is an interesting website( http://www.florastor.com )which provides a lot of interesting information about it.

There are also inumerous medical studies available in many languages . If you would like to read more about its safety record (excellent) and the many uses for it , including studies about the prevention and treatment of traveler´s diarrhea ( very encouraging) , there is long bibliography of medical articles available at http://www.en.wikipedia./org/wiki/Saccharomyces_boulardii . You can access the actual articles if you wish.

It does not cure Norovirus..I never suggested that. It is a symptomatic tratment , which reduces bowel imflammation and helps reestablish the intestinal flora. This , in turn, helps the sufferer "get back to normal" more speedily. Severely immunosuppressed patients should discuss its use with their physicians , although it is widely used for AIDS patients and cancer patients , as well as for others.

Probiotics are widely used all over the world. The U.S is only now starting to embrace their value.

A previous poster asked how it differs from Imodium. Imodium reduces your bowel movements. IF you have a GI condition caused by bacteria or parasites , your body tries to flush out these "enemies" through the mechanism of diarrhea. Imodium can cause serious problems if these are the cause of your condition. Imodium was only available through prescription for many years. In my husband´s , it still should be...Florastar does not prevent this "flushing " mechanism .

As I said , I am not dispensing meds. Research. It is an option that may not be widely known. Ask you medical professional about it.

Hope all of you on the Equinox get better!

Kim

....The bottom line: Be cautious of any medical advice offered here, no matter how well-intentioned and no matter the purported bona fides of those offering it - - including my own. There likely is no panacea other than safe sanitation practices to avoid Norovirus infection (more about that below), resulting from contact with the vomit or feces of someone already infected. There may, however, be effective means to prevent or treat gastrointestinal distress of bacterial origin, but as always: CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.

Finally, as for Norovirus prevention, the CDC states:

"You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

• Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.
  • Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.
  • Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
  • Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
  • Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean."...

I am in fact a doctor and could not have done anywhere near the job you did with your extremely informative post. People would be wise to read it. I applaud you for the large amount of thought and effort that you obviously put into it.

Time for Bon Voyage!

We had a half hour walk from our hotel to the beach and indulged in a pizza at the Oasis Cafe on the waterfront. Just as I was sipping my beer, I was able to toast Equinox as it was sailing by at about 6:20 pm.

Anne: We wish you smooth sailing and no surprises.

What was the impact for breakfast in Michael's and the Blu; and, also dinner in Blu? Additionally, was there any impact on the cocktail party?

I believe the crowd for cocktails was reduced somewhat. It was never that busy. I don't know about Blu but Michaels's was our source for morning coffee without wait lines.

White wine when consumed or spilled is the best cleanser. Unfortuantely I don't think I consumed enough to counter the bugs drifting about.

Friscorays:

Thanks, Doc. Much appreciated.

Saccharomyces Boulardii . . . does not cure Norovirus..I never suggested that. It is a symptomatic tratment , which reduces bowel imflammation and helps reestablish the intestinal flora. This, in turn, helps the sufferer "get back to normal" more speedily. . . . [it] is NOT a prescription drug [and] I am not dispensing meds.

Kim:

No, you did not expressly indicate that this yeast cures Norovirus (and I hope you didn't think it was my intention to criticize you for doing so). But, you did explicitly say that it is an efficacious treatment for '"traveler's diarrhea," impliedly equating that ailment with Norovirus (which the rest of your post was addressing after all), with the potential of causing the confusion I was attempting to counter.

The substance you are promoting may very well help resolve gastrointestinal distress "more speedily" in many cases, but I question its value for the specific use for which you are again endorsing it, treatment of Norovirus. Again, the ailment usually resolves itself within two days - - with due attention to hydration and the other symptomatic relief you also quite appropriately suggest - - and I doubt it is going to make a significant difference any sooner than that, if at all. (Unfortunately. Wish it were otherwise, the original reason I was stimulated to research it.)

And, my research confirmed that it is not a prescription medication (forgive me if I gave the impression that I was accusing you of indiscriminately "dispensing meds"), but the fact it can be obtained without a prescription (and thus without either a doctor's or a pharmacist's consultation) is a matter of MORE, rather than less, concern to me. It is all the more likely that someone would unwittingly dose themselves and create serious consequences, one if which is potentially compounding Candidiasis (aka yeast syndrome), one of the other unfortunate results of the indiscriminate antibiotic use (Cipro, etc.), about which you also exhibit appropriate and laudatory concern.

That being said, we agree on much, not the least of which is that a medical professional should be consulted even though this substance is available over the counter.

And, lest you think I have been unduly dismissive and unappreciative of your posts, I should tell you that I never heard of Saccharomyces boulardii before you brought it my attention, that I am grateful to have been made aware of it, and that I for one will be giving it due consideration for our upcoming cruise to Mexico, where it may be of value - - not for Norovirus, but for Traveler's Diarrhea. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gary

I am also a physician and agree that the post by caladvoc8 is very useful and very well done. This issue ( Noro) comes up at this time of the year every year. It is seen in school populations, nursing homes, and cruise ships because these are all essentially closed populations ( you can think of them as a lot of people confined together if you like). The virus is almost always introduced by someone who either doesn't know that he or she is ill and contagious ( you can shed virus BEFORE you have any symptoms of the illness) or doesn't think that he or she is sufficiently ill to warrant being quarantined. The illness is certainly unpleasant, but is usually "mild" ( a relative term to be certain) and runs its course after a few days. Note the use of "usually". As with most illnesses, all bets are off when referring to the elderly, the generally infirm, and those who suffer from other conditions.

The only treatment is plenty of fluids, rest, and stay away from everyone else. Immodium AD can be useful for symptom relief.

The only effective preventative is good personal hygiene, and avoiding hand to mouth or face contact as much as possible. Soap and lots of Hot Water are the best hand sanitizers and should be use often and thoroughly.

If you get it, you're unfortunate, but hopefully it won't ruin your cruise. If you give it to me, I almost certainly will. :)

Bottom line: wash those hands and keep them away from your mouth, your nose, and your eyes, just like your Mother always told you.

I am also a physician and agree that the post by caladvoc8 is very useful and very well done. This issue ( Noro) comes up at this time of the year every year. It is seen in school populations, nursing homes, and cruise ships because these are all essentially closed populations ( you can think of them as a lot of people confined together if you like). The virus is almost always introduced by someone who either doesn't know that he or she is ill and contagious ( you can shed virus BEFORE you have any symptoms of the illness) or doesn't think that he or she is sufficiently ill to warrant being quarantined. The illness is certainly unpleasant, but is usually "mild" ( a relative term to be certain) and runs its course after a few days. Note the use of "usually". As with most illnesses, all bets are off when referring to the elderly, the generally infirm, and those who suffer from other conditions.

The only treatment is plenty of fluids, rest, and stay away from everyone else. Immodium AD can be useful for symptom relief.

The only effective preventative is good personal hygiene, and avoiding hand to mouth or face contact as much as possible. Soap and lots of Hot Water are the best hand sanitizers and should be use often and thoroughly.

If you get it, you're unfortunate, but hopefully it won't ruin your cruise. If you give it to me, I almost certainly will. :)

Bottom line: wash those hands and keep them away from your mouth, your nose, and your eyes, just like your Mother always told you.

Is there any kind of short term immunity or can you get it multiple times?

Thanks for some good common-sense advice in layman's terms. You must really be a doctor, as you don't seem to feel the need to impress....just offer sound advice with a touch of humor. Can you please move to Texas?

How much of the illness on ships do you attribute to Norovirus versus E. Coli? We always read about Noro, but almost never about E. Coli. Is E. Coli something that we are more likely to contract by eating at local places on shore? And how is that different than what we know as "food poisoning"?

OK -- I get that the preventive and the cure depends on what you have -- a viral infection vs. bacterial, etc. But HOW DO YOU KNOW?

On my latest cruise, I suffered a GI episode within hours of getting on the ship. When I asked the doctor on the ship what exactly I had, he said that to determine that they would have to do various tests and would not know probably until the cruise was at an end. (In other words, what would be the point. ) So they treated the symptoms. They confined me to my cabin (I obeyed all orders re: staying in my cabin) and took all medicines and was over the situation within less than 36 hours. They cleaned my cabin thoroughly, told me to wash my hands frequently, (which I was religious about doing after my episode) and I did not hear of any other situations on the ship. I am sure that there could have been, but certainly nothing widespread.

But, again, lots of helpful info in this thread, just not sure what I would have done with any of it in the midst of my distress. You just come down with this stuff (suddenly and violently) and you have NO idea what caused it. And apparently, there is no quick way on board to determine what the cause was. So you deal with symptoms as best you can.

This is probably the best place to begin, here is a quick link to CDC's Norovirus Summary Page:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

There probably is some very short term immunity generated by the infection, but since this disease is produced by a group of viruses, the immunity is most likely not specific to the group which means that protection would be limited to the specific strain of virus that you have already gotten and you would not be protected against the other members of the Norwalk Virus Group. That's also probably why there is no vaccine; one hasn't been found that protects against most or all of the members of the group.

How much of the illness on ships do you attribute to Norovirus versus E. Coli? We always read about Noro, but almost never about E. Coli. Is E. Coli something that we are more likely to contract by eating at local places on shore? And how is that different than what we know as "food poisoning"?

E.Coli is a bacteria that is normally found in the human intestinal tract. There are strains of E.Coli that are pathogenic ( produce disease) which can be responsible for diarrhea and vomiting which can be extremely serious. These infections are almost always the product of contaminated food which has been improperly handled or inadequately cooked. The classic example is the Jack in the Box ( I believe that's the fast food chain involved, apologies if my memory is at fault) chain where several deaths resulted from inadequately cooked burgers. Essentially, these (Norovirus and E.Coli) are two very different animals producing two very different disease. Here is a link to the CDC's page on the E.Coli 0157 infections page:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/stec_gi.html

I think that the bottom line is that Norovirus is spread primarily by contaminated hands to mouth or face ( the virus can be placed on surfaces such as handrails, door knobs, that sort of thing by one person's contaminated hands and will survive there for a significant amount of time-- this is the reason for all of the surface disinfecting on the ships--thus contaminating the next person's hand who contacts that surface and readying the second person to become infected if that hand touches mouth or face. The norovirus can be air-spread, but the hand-mouth route appears to be the most common.

E.Coli, on the other hand ( no joke intended) is usually considered to be spread primarily by contaminated food.

I was always taught that "food poisoning " was the result of a toxin or chemical either produced by or introduced into food or by spoilage. The E.Coli ( and several other bacteria) do produce a toxin which is what produces the disease, but I was always trained to reserve the term "Food Poisoning" for chemically contaminated food products.

Hope that's useful, Thus endeth the Lecture

This is probably the best place to begin, here is a quick link to CDC's Norovirus Summary Page:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

There probably is some very short term immunity generated by the infection, but since this disease is produced by a group of viruses, the immunity is most likely not specific to the group which means that protection would be limited to the specific strain of virus that you have already gotten and you would not be protected against the other members of the Norwalk Virus Group. That's also probably why there is no vaccine; one hasn't been found that protects against most or all of the members of the group.

E.Coli is a bacteria that is normally found in the human intestinal tract. There are strains of E.Coli that are pathogenic ( produce disease) which can be responsible for diarrhea and vomiting which can be extremely serious. These infections are almost always the product of contaminated food which has been improperly handled or inadequately cooked. The classic example is the Jack in the Box ( I believe that's the fast food chain involved, apologies if my memory is at fault) chain where several deaths resulted from inadequately cooked burgers. Essentially, these (Norovirus and E.Coli) are two very different animals producing two very different disease. Here is a link to the CDC's page on the E.Coli 0157 infections page:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/stec_gi.html

I think that the bottom line is that Norovirus is spread primarily by contaminated hands to mouth or face ( the virus can be placed on surfaces such as handrails, door knobs, that sort of thing by one person's contaminated hands and will survive there for a significant amount of time-- this is the reason for all of the surface disinfecting on the ships--thus contaminating the next person's hand who contacts that surface and readying the second person to become infected if that hand touches mouth or face. The norovirus can be air-spread, but the hand-mouth route appears to be the most common.

E.Coli, on the other hand ( no joke intended) is usually considered to be spread primarily by contaminated food.

I was always taught that "food poisoning " was the result of a toxin or chemical either produced by or introduced into food or by spoilage. The E.Coli ( and several other bacteria) do produce a toxin which is what produces the disease, but I was always trained to reserve the term "Food Poisoning" for chemically contaminated food products.

Hope that's useful, Thus endeth the Lecture

Thanks SO much! That is very informative. I have always carried Cipro in case of E. Coli infection and Tamiflu in the event of a Noro outbreak .....not that I would be able to tell which is which.....

Any thoughts on that?

Again, wanna move to Texas? You have taken more time to answer a complete stranger's questions on a message board than my doctor takes when I am paying big bucks for an appointment! Thank you SO much!!!!!!!! Hopefully, your patients know what a jewel they have in you!

Thank you J&G for the kind words, always appreciated.

Check out the two references from the CDC, probably the real facts of the case are that neither Cipro or Tamiflu is indicated for either infection, the best reason being that by the time the antibiotic really were to kick in, the usual and expected course of the infection would be pretty much resolved. So what you would really be doing is exposing yourself to the side effects and hazards of the drugs ( and those are very real) with out being very likely to derive any real benefits. I would argue that anyone who is really sick enough to "need" drug therapy is already so sick that they need a lot more things ( IV fluids, electrolyte management, etc.); they really need to be under the supervision of a professional and not act as their own physician. The idea is not to get well in spite of your efforts, but to do it the right way, and get back by the pool and in the buffet line so that you can enjoy the rest of your cruise as much as you can and not share with your fellow passengers ( who theoretically could repay the favor and return your gift to you.).

Again, I do thank you for the kind words and your invitation to Texas. However, I'm a Pediatrician by trade and I wouldn't want to doom you to have to wear a diaper every time you went to the doctor's.

Enjoy cruising and Have Fun,

Best Regards,

Wow , this thread has really become interesting ! It is neat to see .

I have a deep interest in this rather unpleasant topic for personal reasons. My dear cousin almost did at the age of 17 from an E.Coli infection. She ( and many others ) were contaminated at a Strawberry Festival that her marching band was attending in Fresno. Her kidneys shut down and she was in the ICU for 15 days.

In addition , my daughter was infected with a very , very nasty bacteria at the age of 15 months called Klebsiella. I won´t go into long details , but if you read about it , you´ll see how scary it is! And lastly , I myself have gone to the hospital on 3 different occasions due to GI infections! And I promise , I am a diligent hand washer!! My gastro explained that since I moved to a developing country as an adult , I didn´t develop the same defenses as other Brazilians. Luckily , it seems that my defenses have kicked in! Knock on wood.

Those are the reasons for my seemingly odd interest in this "brown" thread. Ha! Since all these incidents , I have educated myself on the subject. I enjoy researching and i am lucky enough to have access to a lot of information through journals and books.

Gary,

Once again , your posts are so well written. What a gift for words you have! In no way do I think you were dismissive. Here in Brazil , Floratil is used even when treating viral "stomach flu" , which is very common. There is even the famous "virose " season , which I dread..

As I said before , I hope we can all avoid the Code Reds of life and I hope the passengers of the Equinox didn´t have their vacation ruined. Happy sailing to all.

And Dr. Greeneg...

Your posts are wonderful ! A service to us all. I am sure you´re a hit with your patients.

Kim

Thank you J&G for the kind words, always appreciated.

Check out the two references from the CDC, probably the real facts of the case are that neither Cipro or Tamiflu is indicated for either infection, the best reason being that by the time the antibiotic really were to kick in, the usual and expected course of the infection would be pretty much resolved. So what you would really be doing is exposing yourself to the side effects and hazards of the drugs ( and those are very real) with out being very likely to derive any real benefits. I would argue that anyone who is really sick enough to "need" drug therapy is already so sick that they need a lot more things ( IV fluids, electrolyte management, etc.); they really need to be under the supervision of a professional and not act as their own physician. The idea is not to get well in spite of your efforts, but to do it the right way, and get back by the pool and in the buffet line so that you can enjoy the rest of your cruise as much as you can and not share with your fellow passengers ( who theoretically could repay the favor and return your gift to you.).

Again, I do thank you for the kind words and your invitation to Texas. However, I'm a Pediatrician by trade and I wouldn't want to doom you to have to wear a diaper every time you went to the doctor's.

Enjoy cruising and Have Fun,

Best Regards,

Thanks again....I have made copied of the CDC info to take along.

The older I get, the more likely a diaper becomes....:D....but I don't think that would qualify me to be one of your patients! They are, indeed, lucky to have such a knowledgable and caring doctor.

Safe cruising to you!

Archived