Ladies...I need help finding a good read

ajagent

I also have to vote for Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I've never laughed so hard with a book...now hubby is reading them.

I second Carl Hiaason, particularly, "Skinny Dip".....woman gets revenge on husband for throwing her overboard. Sounds gruesome but it's NOT.:D

If she is into the "laugh out loud" type and is of our age bracket (I'm 44) try the books by Jen Lancaster. Her first is "Bitter is the New Black", next is "Bright Lights, Big A$$" and the next is "Such a Pretty Fat". They are semi-autobiographical about how she had "the great life" and then it all fell apart and how she dealt with it. I actually woke my DH up as I was laughing out loud so hard. Very fast, fun reads.

If she wants something deeper, I recommend anything by Jodi Picoult.

I also love the Diane Galbaldon Outlander series. Problem would be putting down the book as they're very compelling. They are very long books.

I agree I also loved this series.. I absolutely loved 'Lady of Hay' by Barbara Erskine, non of her other books have quite matched it.. I can honestly say this was the first book I read where I had to ... 'Pull myself away from the pages' It's a long book and once you start you'll have trouble putting it down..

I really enjoy the J D Robb (actually written by Nora Roberts)books. They are detective novels set in the 2050's. The lead charactor is a very sassy female homicide detective. I recommend that you buy the first one and start there. Even though each book has its own plot, the charactors evolve throughout the series.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. its history and some fantasy and an awesome love story that spans 6 books!

Im a geek b/c I like non fiction biographies and auto biographies, so whos someone she admires that shed like to read about?

I like Linda Leal Miller books too and Catherine Anderson. Heather Graham is good too!

Ive been out of the "bodice rippers" for a while,but Outlander is my favorite!!!!

{Olemissreb,Im from Hernando.Was getting ready to transfer to UM,but I moved to TN,so now it will be UM,only University of Mem,in Jan next year}

ABOLSUTLELY, Go out and buy her a copy of OUTLANDER - This is the best book I've ever read!!!!! It's a time travel series and it has everything - romance, murder, mystery, intrigue, history, and sex.

I'ts about 1000 pages and from everyone I've recommended it to - they usually read it in a day or 2 and when finished reading you need to take a big breath in and then out and just say "What a book!!!" So my advice is to make sure you have the next copy in the series ready to go "DragonFly in Amber"

The last book just came out "Echo in the Bone" I haven't read it yet, I'm waiting for my lazy summer days!!!

I hope your wife enjoys!!!

P.S. Don't leave this book laying on a lounger Bob, because I'm sure it will be gone when you get back!! :p ( lol, I read the chair hogg thread!!!)

Just know, that when your wife starts this book, you may feel that you are cruising alone!!! ::rolleyes: lol

Debbie

Janet Evanovich for sure!! Best to start at #1 and pack a couple since they are very light reads.

You can get the janet evanovich books on cd's and download them onto your i ipod. They are hilarious to listen to as the reader gets into all the different voices. I especially love the voice of Joe Morelli and Grandma Mazur - the reader is excellent. ( I listen to these when I'm doing data entry at work)

It's a great way to just lie back and relax!!

Debbie

J.A. Jance has two good mystery series. For sheer fun, Mary Daheim's Alpine series or Bed&Breakfast series; also any of Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles series. (All the preceding best read in order, but not necesssary.) For a beautifully written story of discovery, "Veil of Roses" is splendid; also "Reading Lolita in Tehran" is in my stack to read. I just finished a great history-love story-drama with life's comedies called "The Gernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." It's written in letters, which can be either entertaining and charming or pretentious and cutesy. This one is the former and also includes really interesting history about the Channel Islands in WWII. Since she likes Nicholas Sparks, she might like "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" by James Patterson; also "Sam's Letters to Jennifer" and "Sundays at Tiffany's." What about "Like Water for Chocolate" or "Chocolat"? Since she likes Nora Robert's, she could try the "...in Death" series by her writing as J.D. Robb. Of course, "The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough is classic tragic romance and beautifully written. I recently finished "My Sister's Keeper." I think "The Lovely Bones" is good, but it can be disturbing for some people.

Caveat: I've read only a little by Nora Roberts (as Nora Roberts) or Nicholas Sparks and haven't read the Twilight series.

There are so many other excellent authors. Do you know what kind of new books/stories she has in mind?

beachchick

Can't resist joining the thread (I looove books!) Read it just to see what I should get for our next trip and have jotted down some of the suggestions.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon would be a great cruise book as everyone says - meaty so you aren't done in one day...

So many other good ones already listed, so I'll only add one more (from what some of the rest of you are reading I think you'd like these too);

Didn't see mentioned - Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series - for anyone who likes fantasy, romance, alternate history these are an amazing trilogy. Sexy, but super sweet.

http://www.amazon.com/Kushiels-Dart-Jacqueline-Carey/dp/0765342987/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263775733&sr=8-4

I second Carl Hiaason, particularly, "Skinny Dip".....woman gets revenge on husband for throwing her overboard. Sounds gruesome but it's NOT.:D

And I also second "Cruise Confidential" by Brian David Bruns who BTW, posts on Cruise Critic.

I know the OP has already sailed but these 2 books have my vote too! (as well as Janet Evanovich)

Dont forget A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett

I actually brought a Janet Evanovich book on my cruise but only read about 5 pages. was too busy people watching!

Tell her to look into the "In Death" series that's written by Nora Roberts but under the name of JD Robb - it's a terrific series. I started a couple of years ago and am getting to the end of the entire series -- I didn't think I'd like it when it was suggested to me, but I can't put them down!

• 3 weeks later...
McDebbie, Let us know how you like Sookie.

Based on the recomendations I bought a set of the first 6 for my Sony ereader. After the 1st I thought 'hmmm'. After the 2nd I thought "I don't know if I like this" About 1/2 through the 3rd I got hooked and couldn't put it or 4 down. (love the ereader, DH doesn't know when I have finished one book and started another. ;)) Thanks for the tip, have you read any of her other books?

Making a list of some of the others here so I can try them, keep the suggestions coming.

You can get the janet evanovich books on cd's and download them onto your i ipod. They are hilarious to listen to as the reader gets into all the different voices. I especially love the voice of Joe Morelli and Grandma Mazur - the reader is excellent. ( I listen to these when I'm doing data entry at work)

It's a great way to just lie back and relax!!

Debbie

I THIRD THAT! I've read them all but if you haven't read any, read #1 and #2 and you can then appreciate "Plum Spooky" which is a "between the numbers" book. A word of warning, however: You will be laughing out loud as you read these books--you can't help it. I've had someone walk up to me in the airport as I was reading and laughing and say, "Janet Evanovich, right?"

I THIRD THAT! I've read them all but if you haven't read any, read #1 and #2 and you can then appreciate "Plum Spooky" which is a "between the numbers" book. A word of warning, however: You will be laughing out loud as you read these books--you can't help it. I've had someone walk up to me in the airport as I was reading and laughing and say, "Janet Evanovich, right?"

OMG - I haven't had someone say anything to me - I just get funny looks! I did have a construction crew stop working and look at me laughing my fool head off while laying out by a hotel pool!:D I love the Stephanie Plum series! I've heard that there is a "Body Mover" series by Stephanie Bond that is supposed to be very similar. I've ordered the first 3 in that series and they should be delivered tomorrow. I'll let y'all know what they are like.

These are my latest reads. A lot of them turned into movies but I enjoyed them all.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - one of my fav books and movies

Time Travelers wife by Audrey Niffenegger.- Great book, lousy movie

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Lovely bones Alice Sebold

Water for elephants by sara gruen

I loved the Lovely Bones, but found it was so well written it really got to me!!

I loved the Time Traveller's wife, I read it many years ago, again it's quite sad.

I love Ian Rankin's Rebus novels, if you've never read them then get one from the library before you go, to make sure it's your kind of thing.;) Then you'll be hooked:)

I've turned to audio books for my cruises. I download them on my I-Pod and lay out by the pooling listening to someone read to me. I LOVE it! It is the heighth of relaxation and laziness, which to me is what a cruise is all about.

For those of you who have Cracker Barrel restaurants near you... you can rent audio books there.. take them home and download..and then return.

Love this thread!

I love the Sneaky Pie series from Rita Mae Brown. Also the Mitford series from Jan Karon. A Year On Ladybug Farm is a good one. I just read Skinny Dip and am starting on A Trip To The Beach by Melinda and Robert Banchard. Of course I love to read those trashy novels of lust and love esp. if they're centered around the beach or the south.;) Esp. when I'm on vacation. (they have no redeeming social value but they're good)

Before a cruise, I'll go to a thrift store and pick out a couple of paperback books that look interesting. (Usually 25 or 50 cents.) That way if I lose them or they get wet, no big deal. When I'm finished, I offer them to other travelers or the crew so they don't even come home with me.:)

• 2 weeks later...

"A Trip To The Beach" was a great read. DH would love it too. It's about a couple who decide to move to Anguilla and start a life from scratch. What a dream!

I love this thread. I've gotten some great ideas for books to read and it's keeping me occupied until the cruise.

WOW!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to print these out and let her head to Amazon and see what she likes. I love these boards. I don't know of any other place where so much info can be obtained in such a short period of time!!!

Better site is bookcloseouts. You can buy multiple books there and only one shipping charge. I don't work for them - HONEST. Just buy books from there and Amazon (when I can't find what I want).

Personally I love Greg Iles and Jodi Piccoult. Very different authors but that's good because it depends on what I'm in the "mood" for.

OMG - I haven't had someone say anything to me - I just get funny looks! I did have a construction crew stop working and look at me laughing my fool head off while laying out by a hotel pool!:D I love the Stephanie Plum series! I've heard that there is a "Body Mover" series by Stephanie Bond that is supposed to be very similar. I've ordered the first 3 in that series and they should be delivered tomorrow. I'll let y'all know what they are like.

Well I read the first Stephanie Bond "Body Mover" book. They are ok for a mystery type novel. Some steamy passages. All in all - NOTHING like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Numbers series. I didn't laugh out loud once with the Body Mover book. The characters are kind of "vanilla". They might be ok to read on a cruise simply because you don't feel like you have to keep reading to find out what crazy thing happens next.

I also love a couple of authors already talked about - Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum number books and the between the number books and Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy books.

Can't remember if Mary Daheim's Bed & Breakfast books have been mentioned, but I'm hooked on that cozy mystery series.

If anyone is interested in thriller/crime, I'd recommend P.J. Tracy's (a mother and daughter writing team) Monkeewrench series - 1. Monkeewrench 2.Live Bait 3.Dead Run, and 4. Snow Blind. I'm really excited as there is a new book due to come out this spring. YAY! The wait is almost over :cool:.

Archived