Ladies...I need help finding a good read

ajagent

We leave for San Juan on Saturday 1/16. My wife is looking for a good light read for the cruise. I will not list her age here so she will speak to me on the cruise, but I am 40. She has read Nora Roberts, Nicholas Sparks and the Twilight Series.

She is looking for some new Authors. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't go wrong with the Janet Evanovich series!

I even have got my husband interested (he listens to the cd instead of reading them).

If you can start with #1, it's best....She is up to #15.

Have Fun!

If she likes mysteries I recommend James Patterson. He writes the

Alex Cross series.. 2 of them were made into movies with Morgan

Freeman as Alex Cross.

I also like John Grisham.

Thanks. I will forward those along.

For something light and quick...Robert B. Parker writes the "Spenser" series....sounds dorky, but it's a fun read! "Spenser" is quite the smartass and the folks he get involved with are fun! You can start anywhere in the series, but there is a "beginning"...about 25-30 books in all!

You can't go wrong with the Janet Evanovich series! I even have got my husband interested (he listens to the cd instead of reading them). If you can start with #1, it's best....She is up to #15. Have Fun!

Just make sure she's not embarrassed to laugh out loud while reading....my sister and I aren't on a cruise unless we have the latest Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum" book with us! She's hilarious!

Sophie Kinsella is a good fluff/light read. I enjoyed Undomestic Goddess and Remember Me The Shopaholic series is not bad either.

If she likes outdoor humor or humor in general, may I recommend Patrick McManus (he's hilarious) and Bill Bryson (especially A Walk in the Woods). I also like Garrison Keillor and David Sedaris, but I do warn that they can get a little racy at times.

We leave for San Juan on Saturday 1/16. My wife is looking for a good light read for the cruise. I will not list her age here so she will speak to me on the cruise, but I am 40. She has read Nora Roberts, Nicholas Sparks and the Twilight Series.

She is looking for some new Authors. Any help would be appreciated.

She might like the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris--they're the ones that have been adapted into the HBO series "True Blood", and evidently they're about vampires. I've not read them, but my sisters (who both LOVE Twilight and are in their 40s) really like them.

We also leave for San Juan on Jan 16th also. I have Sheila O'Flanagan's newest novel packed. I have had it for about 2 months but have been saving it for the cruise. Here is an outline of the story. Couldn't be more appropriate for a cruise.

Two very different sisters, Mia (still in love with Alejo, the married father of her daughter) and Britt (the ice maiden, who has ironically written a romantic bestseller), join a luxury honeymoon cruise in the Caribbean where Britt is the guest lecturer. Also on board are recently widowed Leo, still reeling from the discovery of his wife's betrayal just before her death, and Steve, a ship's officer who's soon looking for more than a holiday romance with Mia. Can Steve replace Alejo and is there any chance that Britt and Leo can see that they really should get together? When the characters head for home - Mia to Spain, the others to Dublin - it seems that all romantic options are off, especially as Leo rashly got engaged to glamorous, man-eating Pippin while at sea. But love has a way of triumphing in Sheila O'Flanagan's novels, even if it takes till the very last page...

I agree with a couple other posters - Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum Numbers series. They are quick reads and laugh out loud funny! Make sure you aren't within "spraying" distance if she should happen to take a sip of her drink of the day and get to one of those funny parts!

BTW - I'm in my mid-40's just to give you an "age gauge"

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. its history and some fantasy and an awesome love story that spans 6 books!

Im a geek b/c I like non fiction biographies and auto biographies, so whos someone she admires that shed like to read about?

I like Linda Leal Miller books too and Catherine Anderson. Heather Graham is good too!

Ive been out of the "bodice rippers" for a while,but Outlander is my favorite!!!!

{Olemissreb,Im from Hernando.Was getting ready to transfer to UM,but I moved to TN,so now it will be UM,only University of Mem,in Jan next year}

These are my latest reads. A lot of them turned into movies but I enjoyed them all.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - one of my fav books and movies

Time Travelers wife by Audrey Niffenegger.- Great book, lousy movie

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Lovely bones Alice Sebold

Water for elephants by sara gruen

Anything by Carl Hiaasen - he has a great sense of humor!

Police/detective books: Anything by James Lee Burke (writes mostly about Louisiana locales) or John Sandford (Minnesota locales). Both are excellent writers but I wouldn't term them "light" reading!

Diane Mott Davidson writes mysteries with food themes and has great recipes in them. Dying for Chocolate is one of my favorites. These books are always fun!

Hope your wife finds something she likes. Generally, if it's a book, I like it! Better yet, I love the fact that a cruise gives me the opportunity to read!!

I loved Ken Follets , Pillars of the Earth( historical drama , family epic ,some romance)

Philliap Gregory writes some good stuff, The Other Boylen Girl was good.

Antiona Frazer also writes historical fiction , some of the best, I think she wrote the version of Marie Antionette I loved the best.

I have "Three cups of Tea" but haven't read it yet, saving it for a cruise!

Peter Mayles books are always a fun read, There is A Year In Provence, then a sequel,,both were very funny reads about moving to south of France and starting a new life.

Another such book is " A Year in the Merde" truly fun read,

Pearl S Bucks books are old ,, I pick them up at second hand store for less then a buck each,, they are great, sort of historical fiction of peasant life in China .The Good Earth was one of my favorites.

Maeve Binchy writes some lovely books,, Shell Seekers was very good.

I also reread Jane Erye ( Bronte) about once a year or so, same with a few Jane Austen novels.

WOW!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to print these out and let her head to Amazon and see what she likes. I love these boards. I don't know of any other place where so much info can be obtained in such a short period of time!!!

Archived