Ladies...I need help finding a good read

ajagent

Di Morrissey is a bestselling Australian author. She writes fantastic books set in various areas around Australia. Tears of the Moon, Kimberley Sun, The Reef are just a few, they might even inspire you to come over to our beautiful country.

Happy cruising

{Olemissreb,Im from Hernando.Was getting ready to transfer to UM,but I moved to TN,so now it will be UM,only University of Mem,in Jan next year}

TNMama - Ole Miss is only 90 minutes or so from Memphis. I remember way back in the mid 80's there was talk about giving in state tuition to students who lived in counties that bordered Mississippi - don't know if that ever went thru or not. You may want to look into that if you would still prefer Ole Miss over Memphis State (sorry can't get used to calling it the University of Memphis! - does that give you an idea how old I am!:eek:)

I recently finished The Help and it was wonderful. It's set in Mississippi in the 60's and is about the relationship between white families and their "Negra" help. It's eye opening!

For very light reads, Rita Mae Brown (Sneakie Pie Brown series) books are great. They are mysteries as told by the cats and dogs who always know everything before the humans do.

I also agree with the Diane Mott Davidson books. They are culinary mysteries with recipes included!

I am currently reading Cruise Confidential. Should finish that tonight.

Keep these suggestions coming as I need to hit Amazon myself but have already read most of what has been mentioned on this thread!

You can't go wrong with the Janet Evanovich series!

I even have got my husband interested (he listens to the cd instead of reading them).

If you can start with #1, it's best....She is up to #15.

Have Fun!

YES. Laugh out loud. Other author in same vein is Sue Grafton - A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar ... same deal - start at the beginning.

Both of these series are a ton of fun.

I also like Patricia Cornwall series but since she's a forensic scientist/coroner type of doc, there are gory things. Nothing that ever gave me nightmares! It's another series that really needs to be started at the beginning as Dr Kay Scarpetta has an interesting career.

I recommend "Dear John", "The Lovely Bones", or "Julie and Julia".

All are books that are currently (or will be soon) movies.

That way, if they like the book, they can go see the film after.

There is a whole section at Barnes and Nobel now of books that are currently movies at the theater that makes it easy to pick out a bunch -- which is what I did for my family at Christmas!

Hello,

non fiction ideas...

The Glass Castle by Jeantte M. Walls

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

The Temple Bar by John Moehringer

fiction:

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy

I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe

Burn by Linda Howard Read it on my last cruise. It takes place on a cruise ship. Really good.

Also if she hasn't read it yet -- Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns all about working on a cruise ship I couldn't put it down.

anything John Grisham or Nicholas Sparks love them also

If your wife liked the Twilight series she'll also like the Sookie Stackhouse

series by Charlaine Harris. It's a bit more adult oriented. This author has

other series so she would need to start with the #1 of the Sookie series. I think there are about 8 of them. They read fast so she would need to take more than one. Heartily recommend for cruise reading.

I also love the Diane Galbaldon Outlander series. Problem would be putting

down the book as they're very compelling. They are very long books.

The Women's Murder Club group by James Patterson are good too. Great

suspense but not lighthearted.

I love reading fantasy/romance type books, here are my favorite authors and series:

Southern Vampire Series (aka True Blood on TV) - Charlaine Harris

All of the Tortall Universe Series - Tamora Pierce

Firekeeper Novels - Jane Lindskold

Study Series - Maria V. Snyder

Enchanted, Inc. Series - Shanna Swendson

Robin D. Owens

Katie MacAlister

MaryJanice Davidson

Patricia Briggs

J.R. Ward

I've got over 200 books, I haven't updated it lately but feel free to check out my goodreads bookshelf (I think this link works): http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1115236

If your wife liked the Twilight series she'll also like the Sookie Stackhouse

series by Charlaine Harris. It's a bit more adult oriented. This author has

other series so she would need to start with the #1 of the Sookie series. I think there are about 8 of them. They read fast so she would need to take more than one. Heartily recommend for cruise reading.

I also love the Diane Galbaldon Outlander series. Problem would be putting

down the book as they're very compelling. They are very long books.

The Women's Murder Club group by James Patterson are good too. Great

suspense but not lighthearted.

This series has become my favorite. It's really funny too cause I was between authors when I finally decided to try one, not thinking I'd like it... So I just got the first book. I couldn't put it down! The next day I went out and bought the rest (was like 4 more at the time)!

If you like Nora Roberts, try Karen Robards' books.

Also if you like mysteries, try books by P.J. Tracy, a mother and daughter writing team. I've read Monkeywrench and have bought a couple more they wrote to take on my next cruise.

Vicki

I'm working my way through the full set of Maeve Binchy (again!), and a set of Eva Ibbotson.

For my next cruise, I've set aside PD James detective novel : The Private Patient, as I know I can trust her to occupy my mind when flying!

jocap.

When you get back if you enjoy the book you might try to watch them on TV. It's like a completely different story, tho the ending is always near the same. Each session is one book. I was disappointed at first in how they changed things, but after a few episodes I really got into it :)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. its history and some fantasy and an awesome love story that spans 6 books!

Im a geek b/c I like non fiction biographies and auto biographies, so whos someone she admires that shed like to read about?

I like Linda Leal Miller books too and Catherine Anderson. Heather Graham is good too!

Ive been out of the "bodice rippers" for a while,but Outlander is my favorite!!!!

{Olemissreb,Im from Hernando.Was getting ready to transfer to UM,but I moved to TN,so now it will be UM,only University of Mem,in Jan next year}

Diana Gabaldon series..Outlander. There are 7 now. I read one after another...they are the best.

I second Carl Hiaason, particularly, "Skinny Dip".....woman gets revenge on husband for throwing her overboard. Sounds gruesome but it's NOT.:D

And I also second "Cruise Confidential" by Brian David Bruns who BTW, posts on Cruise Critic.

Not sure if you can get these in the US, but the trilogy by Stieg Larsson are 3 of the best books I have read recently - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, and The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. These are thriller / mystery books and are excellent IMHO :)

Also, anything by Jodi Piccoult is fantastic.

Anne Tyler is great and not too heavy. She always has some interesting characters. I'm reading "A Patchwork World" right now. My favorite of hers (that I have read) is "Digging to China".

John Grisham is also very good (with a couple of exceptions) and his books are quick reading.

If she hasn't read "The DaVinci Code", I highly recommend it. Very interesting and quick reading.

"The Secret Life of Bees" was very good (I didn't see the movie).

I recently read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It is nonfiction so maybe not what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Harlan Coben is wonderful, both his Myron Bolitar novels and the others. Tami Hoag and Amanda Quick are good too. I'll read most anything and it was thanks to these boards that I found the Hunger Games-what a great book!! Hard to believe it's actually juvenile fiction.

If she hasn't read "The DaVinci Code", I highly recommend it. Very interesting and quick reading.

This is a GREAT book to read on a cruise for the simple reason that the Chapters are very short. Easy to pick up and put down in just a couple minutes!

I'm not a reader, but Dan Brown is on to something with those short chapters. I read the whole thing in 4 days! HAHA! :)

Archived