"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

• 3 months later...
That all said, I agree that RCL does state their alcohol policy in the contract's fine print - but it's certainly NOT highlighted. In fact, it's on page 5 of the 10 page fine print contract. And RCL knows that few people read all 10 pages prior to booking. Note also that they don't highlight the no alcohol policy or what their prices are for drinks - (including even soda and water) at anytime during the booking process. I'd be very interested in RCL's chief ethics officer taking a stab at defending what is (pretty obvious to me anyway) intentional obfiscation of policies that have large financial impact on final pricing to the customer.
It's in the contract, it's in the Guest Conduct policy, it's in the Onboard Policies section of the website, it's in the list of prohibited items, it's noted in the Age Policy, there are about 100 links to it on the website. I don't really think they're trying to obfuscate it.

I dont drink alcohol so im not to worried. But I have to chuckle about people being sent to the "Naughty room". To clarify even further so I dont offend anyone. I am not chuckling about people persae but the word "Naughty room". Yes I have a wierd sence of humour. Also I think if Royal Carribean goes to far on this they could really shoot themselves in the foot.

Adri :)

There has to be a reasonable middle ground here unless the only underlying issue is an outright money grab, which I think many logically suspect. Either way, the current situation represents an ethics problem in RCL's marketing and customer relations - an issue they should address quickly and transparently.

Okay, we all agree that the policy and rule is clearly stated in about 100 places. Now let's discuss the reasonableness of the policy. If I am staying at, say a 4 star hotel with a mini-frig, that has an on-site bar, am I not allowed to bring my own alcohol and mix into MY room that I am paying for and store it in MY frig, that I am paying for? Just because they serve alcohol in the bar that I have chosen to leave at, say 9 PM, that doesn't mean I am prohibited from enjoying a nightcap in my room. I can understand if they don't allow me to bring my drink into their bar or even pool area, but the hotel is perfectly accepting of me drinking my own alcohol in my room. Why can't the cruise lines adopt this???

My mother, who is 76, just got off the Grandeur. She went to the naughty room to retrieve her bag over 2 miniature (ie. 2oz) bottles of rum. Now that's getting petty.

Petty is trying to sneak two 2oz bottles. If you're going to do something against the rules, why not go all out and try to sneak 1L bottle on. If it makes it, at least you'll have something to drink.

Okay, we all agree that the policy and rule is clearly stated in about 100 places. Now let's discuss the reasonableness of the policy. If I am staying at, say a 4 star hotel with a mini-frig, that has an on-site bar, am I not allowed to bring my own alcohol and mix into MY room that I am paying for and store it in MY frig, that I am paying for? Just because they serve alcohol in the bar that I have chosen to leave at, say 9 PM, that doesn't mean I am prohibited from enjoying a nightcap in my room. I can understand if they don't allow me to bring my drink into their bar or even pool area, but the hotel is perfectly accepting of me drinking my own alcohol in my room. Why can't the cruise lines adopt this???

Actually most hotels do charge a corkage fee, it has to do with requirements under their liquor licenses. That being said, they rarely enforce the rule and expect most guests to be on the honor system. The sheer number of threads on booze smuggling and all the replies from folks that do it, know it is against the rules and plan to keep doing it, is an example why the honor system will not work on cruises, because it requires the presence of honor. Now I will say that I believe the motivations are completely different in a hotel complying with their liquor license and a cruise line wanting to maintain their monopoly, but the rules are the rules. The only choice we get is to cruise with a given line or not.

Of course, they can - they just choose not to. Again - it's their ship and their rules and if we don't like it, we can cruise with another line.

Actually most hotels do charge a corkage fee, it has to do with requirements under their liquor licenses. That being said, they rarely enforce the rule and expect most guests to be on the honor system. The sheer number of threads on booze smuggling and all the replies from folks that do it, know it is against the rules and plan to keep doing it, is an example why the honor system will not work on cruises, because it requires the presence of honor. Now I will say that I believe the motivations are completely different in a hotel complying with their liquor license and a cruise line wanting to maintain their monopoly, but the rules are the rules. The only choice we get is to cruise with a given line or not.

Mind you, this is me showing my ignorance, but I have never ever heard of, or seen posting of a corkage fee in any hotel I have ever stayed in. That doesn't mean that I doubt what you are saying. I'm saying I am surprised to hear of that. And I will add, that if anyone has sailed on Princess out of San Juan PR, they know that the line to board the ship literally winds through the Duty Free shop after you have received your cruise cards! In 6 cruises I had never taken anything on board, and wasn't going that time either, but the "Salesgirls" in the shop were adament that it was okay to take it on. My wife and I must have been in there for a half hour because we honestly thought they were lying to us, and because I didn't 100% know if it was against the rules to take onboard, but because there were so many people in there shopping, I honestly believed that it must be okay to do in PR. Call me gullible, or stupid, or lucky, but I got to take on a Liter of Sapphire and a 6 pack of tonic that served me well for the week and neither the terminal security nor the Priincess security even blinked at it in my backpack.

Of course, they can - they just choose not to. Again - it's their ship and their rules and if we don't like it, we can cruise with another line.
The only other line that seems to have this mentality is NCL, and they get a little carried away with it, by searching everything at every port.

We love HAL, Princess & Carnival for letting you take your wine on board and we've never had a problem restocking in ports. A number of years ago, HAL had an onboard liquor store with excellent prices for premium spirits that you could take back to your cabin. That went away after Carnival bought them.

Hi Folks:

There are only two concepts that RCCL understands:

1) occupancy rate

2) bottom line profit

Stop debating the issue and vote with your feet !

There are many other choices of cruise line to book when you are treated poorly by RCCL

I have made the switch. Cancelled two booked cruises with them and rebooked with another line. Felt good.

I want to be treated like a guest not a piece of meat.

See you on Disney, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Oceania, Fred Olsen, Celebrity ..................................

My husband and I have sailed many times and have always carried liquor on in our bags. So far we have not been caught. :D One time I carried on white rum in a large insulated NCL water bottle bag. No one said anything. I actually took a sip of the rum before putting the bottle down on the scanner while boarding. Another time we ordered plastic flasks (which worked great) and carried several bottles of wine, cordials and of course the NCL "water bottle". I am not opposed to ordering drinks at the bar while cruising, I'm opposed to being ripped off. Let's face it these cruise lines are buying their liquor in the islands for just about nothing and making us pay through the nose for drinks. If they lowered their prices for alcoholic beverages, they would have a lot less people smuggling and a lot more people drinking.

Mind you, this is me showing my ignorance, but I have never ever heard of, or seen posting of a corkage fee in any hotel I have ever stayed in. That doesn't mean that I doubt what you are saying. I'm saying I am surprised to hear of that. And I will add, that if anyone has sailed on Princess out of San Juan PR, they know that the line to board the ship literally winds through the Duty Free shop after you have received your cruise cards! In 6 cruises I had never taken anything on board, and wasn't going that time either, but the "Salesgirls" in the shop were adament that it was okay to take it on. My wife and I must have been in there for a half hour because we honestly thought they were lying to us, and because I didn't 100% know if it was against the rules to take onboard, but because there were so many people in there shopping, I honestly believed that it must be okay to do in PR. Call me gullible, or stupid, or lucky, but I got to take on a Liter of Sapphire and a 6 pack of tonic that served me well for the week and neither the terminal security nor the Priincess security even blinked at it in my backpack.

I agree with you. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and I've never once seen any notice of any rules or laws related to bringing in one's own alcohol for in room consumption, much less any policies mandating paying a corkage fee.

People do... walk with their feet, that is.

They decide not to cruise because they don't like being subjected to being nickel and dimed. It's supposed to be a vacation after all and there are other vacation options that don't involve getting frished before flying to get to a port only to get frisked again in the quest for booze for fear you may not pay for watered down drinks on board.

RCL used to let people buy booze in the on board shops and drink it on board after paying a $10 corkage fee. That was fair and my observation is that the rampant bootlegging of booze began once RCL adopted its current countinghouse mentality.

Has anyone at RCL ever studied whether the sale of booze by the drink went up when they dropped the $10 corkage option? I don't think that they have the best analytical staff so I'm guessing that decisions are just made by people who then claim credit in their monthly reports to management.

It is sort of like Robbing a Bank!

It makes no difference if you steal $10 or $50,000

You are still a Bank Robber!

Rules are Rules!

If you don't like RCI's rules, then vote with your feet and go to a different Cruise Line.

No, it's really not sort of like robbing a bank. That's a pretty strong analogy for this particular offense. I think the better one was made earlier:

If you are going 31 in a 30, you've broken the law. But I don't know many people who wouldn't complain about getting a speeding ticket for that kind of rigid enforcement. Likewise, a passenger bringing on two tiny airplane bottles of liquor is not in the same category as someone who packs a full bar setup (and I've read of people doing that and have seen the photos to prove it). JMHO, but life isn't always black and white. Thank goodness, or we're really all in trouble.

Evidently she isn't.;)

I am amazed that folks have the money to cruise and want to sneak a box of wine on board. The wine packages on the ships maybe a little higher priced but suck it up. Enjoy the cruise don't worry about a sneaking your own wine on board.

I guess the question is...can people enjoy themselves without alcohol?

I've ready many threads on this board and other boards from pax that seem downright desperate to get booze onboard. And then they claim huge bar bills as well...

I'm not talking about people who have a few beers and then a before or after dinner drink..I'm talking about pax who seem to have to have their hands wrapped around a drink nearly all day and night.

Can't you have fun without all that alcohol? I think the desperation of smuggling is sad.:(

People do... walk with their feet, that is.

They decide not to cruise because they don't like being subjected to being nickel and dimed. It's supposed to be a vacation after all and there are other vacation options that don't involve getting frished before flying to get to a port only to get frisked again in the quest for booze for fear you may not pay for watered down drinks on board.

RCL used to let people buy booze in the on board shops and drink it on board after paying a $10 corkage fee. That was fair and my observation is that the rampant bootlegging of booze began once RCL adopted its current countinghouse mentality.

Has anyone at RCL ever studied whether the sale of booze by the drink went up when they dropped the $10 corkage option? I don't think that they have the best analytical staff so I'm guessing that decisions are just made by people who then claim credit in their monthly reports to management.

You're absolutely right Jack !

RCCL has corporately decided that they want to become arrogant; act like the airlines and BLEED thier customers. Vote with your feet. Cancel your RCCL bookings and rebook with cruise lines that WANT and APPRECIATE your patronage.

When RCCL's occupancy decreases and the service on their debt for Oasis and Allure becomes more difficult, they will grasp the concept of customer service. If you keep your bookings in the face of this treatment, you will reinforce their idea that you are SHEEP. Their treatment of you will escalate to the point where you think you are flying Delta.

Filet in the Main Dining Room = $14.95 PRICELESS

I guess the question is...can people enjoy themselves without alcohol?

I've ready many threads on this board and other boards from pax that seem downright desperate to get booze onboard. And then they claim huge bar bills as well...

I'm not talking about people who have a few beers and then a before or after dinner drink..I'm talking about pax who seem to have to have their hands wrapped around a drink nearly all day and night.

Can't you have fun without all that alcohol? I think the desperation of smuggling is sad.:(

Did you by any chance read the post not too long ago by the woman who did not like her RCI cruise at all and was going back to Carnival. She said she did enjoy her last day of the cruise only because she got wasted. Some things around here do make you shake your head.

Did you by any chance read the post not too long ago by the woman who did not like her RCI cruise at all and was going back to Carnival. She said she did enjoy her last day of the cruise only because she got wasted. Some things around here do make you shake your head.

Yes I did read that.

I'm not shocked though..sad that people equate a "good time" with how much they drink or how high their bar bill is at the end of the day.:(

I've seen photos of suitcases of booze smuggled onto ships..and then the owner of the photos will brag about the amount of their bar bill.

I read a review of an RCI cruise..no sightseeing in port..just the nearest bar and how many drinks they could put away during the day.

I hope some of them take some photos along the line so they can remember where they were.:(

It is sort of like Robbing a Bank!

It makes no difference if you steal $10 or $50,000

You are still a Bank Robber!

Rules are Rules!

If you don't like RCI's rules, then vote with your feet and go to a different Cruise Line.

I think I see your point Trainman!

But then again.........

I'm glad those boys in Boston harbor in 177? disagreed with you and refused to keep paying the outrageous English taxes. Can you believe it ! They actually threw the tea overboard into the sea. What borish behavior ! I guess they didn't realize that "Rule were Rules" and that they should have continued to allow the British to BLEED them.

I guess they "Voted with their feet" !

Archived