Is there such a thing as a "bad" balcony room?

We currently have a large oceanview room booked on Mariner next June (3 people). To get a balcony, it seems to be only $150 extra. I'm tempted.

But my question is: If I book a balcony guarantee, are there bad balcony rooms on Mariner?

I've searched, and have found references to obstructed view on some aft balconies. (Don't seem to be a big problem) Are there terribly noisy areas to be avoided? (We are late-night people). I've also seen references to park-view balconies? I'm assuming those are for other ships than Mariner/Voyager class?

Thanks for any help! Kathy

I would say no, of course some rooms are better than others, but I wouldn't say any are bad. Remember that once your assigned a cabin, you can change it to any other cabin in the category. I just got back from having my first balcony, we booked a guarantee and were lucky enough to get a D1. It was on deck 6 but I looked and there was an open aft balcony on deck 10, I called and it was mine.

I don't know that I'd call it "bad" but there are a few less desirable cabins near the rear of the Voyager and Radiance class ships where the ladder used for cleaning the windows is stored. I'm not exactly sure of the location but I think it's either the last or second last cabin in the rear.

The park view balconies would only be on Oasis (and Allure when she's completed)...there are also Boardwalk balconies there too. I admit to being a balcony snob, but after seeing those two cabin types on my Oasis cabin crawl, they aren't ones I'd choose. Even with the sheers drawn, you could still see bodies moving about...to get total privacy you'd need the drapes closed too. There also seemed to be more noise, with the door open we could hear everything going on down on the Boardwalk, and it was possible to have a shouting conversation with anyone on the balcony across from you. This was cute though...one morning we were on the sports deck looking down at the Boardwalk and heard happy baby screeches. There was a little one, big enough to sit well but not crawl away enjoying her balcony. We were amazed that we could hear her several decks up and across. Sounds travelled really well that quiet morning!

Even the best balcony can become unusable...........counted the days and minutes to enjoy my morning coffee on my balcony our last cruise (New Years)........our neighbors to the right of us smoked from 7am until after midnight. We tried to work out a compromise with no luck, they used their balcony every second they could, while we couldn't even leave our swimsuits to dry because they smelled like smoke! So, no coffee or open door for us. Now DH thinks the balcony rooms might be a waste to book (I'll try again:cool:)

No flames please, just stating the facts that nothing is perfect!

Get the balcony if you need the extra room. We've done balconies and inside cabins, and didn't find the balcony to be worth the cost. We usually end up with smokers and/or noisy neighbors, so we end up going up on deck for fresh air and quiet anyway.

Ocean view seems to be the worst deal (higher cost, but no fresh air, and on many ships, you pretty much have to be standing on the bed to see out the porthole). I would only do inside or balcony.

Even the best balcony can become unusable...........counted the days and minutes to enjoy my morning coffee on my balcony our last cruise (New Years)........our neighbors to the right of us smoked from 7am until after midnight. We tried to work out a compromise with no luck, they used their balcony every second they could, while we couldn't even leave our swimsuits to dry because they smelled like smoke! So, no coffee or open door for us. Now DH thinks the balcony rooms might be a waste to book (I'll try again:cool:)

This same thing happened to us two years ago - only we had smokers on both sides of us! Our next cruise we switched to an oceanview, but we really missed the balcony, so we decided to try our luck again. Fortunately, out of 8 total cruises with a balcony cabin, we only had inconsiderate smokers one time. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time as well.

We had the same problem. Now I book ocean view unless I find a balcony available in a location that I think might minimize the smoke problem. We had one of the new aft balconies and only were bothered by smoke a few times.

I sure wish they would just designate a section of balconies as non-smoking for those of us who enjoy fresh air. Why can't cruise ships do what hotels routinely do?

This same thing happened to us two years ago - only we had smokers on both sides of us! Our next cruise we switched to an oceanview, but we really missed the balcony, so we decided to try our luck again. Fortunately, out of 8 total cruises with a balcony cabin, we only had inconsiderate smokers one time. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time as well.

What would you consider an inconsiderate smoker?

I would never want an aft facing balcony on deck 6 of the Voyager/Freedom class ships. There is so much obstruction. None of those balconies extend to the end of the ship, not even the corner aft, so you have quite a distance between you and the ocean.

I am not going to flame any smokers (as I used to be one years ago). I understand you want and need a place to smoke. But depending on how much you smoke - it can make a difference. My very first (and only to date) balcony was in a JS on the Freedom. Our excitement over the JS was quickly diminished by our neighbor who clearly was on another schedule - because he would be up all night and pretty much most days on his balcony smoking cigarettes and cigars (which were worse) one after another after another. We had somewhat bad weather and the butts and ashes blew over to our balcony every day and we could never leave the balcony door open because the smell would suck right into our room and we had my 4 yr old dd with us at the time. The worst part was his hacking cough that came along with the smoking. In the middle of the night we would hear huge hacking coughs......maybe just a bad neighbor...to me that was inconsiderate. If you go out a couple times a day to smoke a cigarette - big deal and we would have to be out at the same time for it to inconvienience me.

That said, I have taken a chance and booked a balcony for my next cruise on the Voyager and hoping it wont be the same situation.

I do think there are balconies in less desirable locations on every ship. Some might be located under parts of the Windjammer or the pool deck, others over a nightclub or other noisy venue.

That said, others have told you that if you don't like where they put you, you can call and ask to be moved to another open balcony in the same category so if you want the balcony, try it out.

We are booked in a large OV cabin (Cat F) on Liberty for February 2011. The difference in cost between that cabin and a balcony is significant, and for the money (as well as the size) I think it's a good buy to keep the OV. But I'll keep looking and waiting in case some price drop occurs that make a balcony possible. My only issue with the large OV is that they are in the very front of the ship, and I've never been that far forward.

is one where the passenger next door, who is a chain smoker, stays out all nite gabbing w. his wife and hockering over the rail.... hock tooeeee for hours... that is a bad balcony

We must have had the same neighbor......

Thanks for all the help! I originally asked that question because I was considering a balcony guarantee. But in calling Royal the next day, I was told they don't give balcony guarantees for 3 people. The balconies (straight choose a cabin) are $100 cheaper than our oceanview cat F right now. To get a balcony for 3 people we would have to go up $100-$150 per person (3!), and I think we won't be doing that.

The prices had gone down, and everything looked tempting, but it seems it is not to be. I'm sure we'll be very happy in our cabin at the very front of the ship!

Kathy

Our six Radiance cruises have always been a D-1, with a very large balcony, either stern or hump; and, we have never been displeased. While we would never have 3 in our cabin, this approach might fit your situation since the balcony is large enough to allow the 3rd person to sleep thereon under the stars.

I have to totally agree...the only negative to having a balcony cabin for us has been a neighbor who smoke like a chimney. We've sailed 5 times and 4 of those times we've had no problems. However, it's that one time that will stick with us...we paid extra for a balcony (like the poster above) to enjoy the scenery, sunsets, morning coffee, and even the sea breeze at night...Sadly all of that changed when everytime we opened our door the "sweet smell" of cigarette smoke drifted in our cabin.

Did it completely spoil our trip...no, but it was an expensive disapppointment and one that forced us to make adjustments to our plans.

Hmm that could potentially be disappointing if we were situated next to heavy smokers. Our family has booked balcony rooms for all, and all of us are mildly allergic to smoke (nose gets all stuff up but don't know how long exposure to smoke would affect us) and my sister is borderline asthmatic...

I guess we will have to see when we actually get onboard the ship. Wonder if we can use this [reason] to move if the boat isn't full.

I wouldn't cruise without a balcony.

That being said, I wouldn't want one with an obstructed view nor one forward facing or aft facing on any ship.

If I'm going to pay the freight for a balcony, it has to be prime location and I don't want a lifeboat in my way...or a divider...nor do I want the wind so strong I can't sit out there or people able to drop items on my balcony from above.

Looks like OP already made up their mind but I had posted a similar thread and was told the Mariner has no bad balcony's. At least no obstructed views nor noisy so to me that would be an only concern. I took my chances & booked guarantee for my May cruise and they just assigned me a D2 on deck 7 so I'm really happy. Same balcony is going for almost $200/pp more by booking a specific room.

Archived