Are you a Smart Casual Dresser or Not?

C 2 C

Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?  

350 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?

• Do you follow the Smart Dress code when requested?
    • I do not follow the Smart Dress code when requested.

I don't think that anyone is really "upset" about an individual that doesn't adhere to the dress code. What I DO think is of concern to many people is that cruisers who are new to Celebrity come to these boards with questions about appropriate dress for smart casual evenings and formal nights. Frequently they will get a response (from one or two posters) to the effect "It is your vacation, you paid for it, wear what you like". These replies often come from individuals who do not normally cruise with Celebrity, but this, of course, is not something that new posters would know.

This type of combative response to dress code queries will naturally elicit replies from people who are worried that this type of advice, if not responded to with some helpful information about appropriate dress, will ultimately result, over time, in a complete free-for-all, with respect to standards of dress in the dining room. And a complete abandonment of dress code guidelines WILL change the atmosphere at dinner. I do understand that the ambience is something that the majority of Celebrity cruisers want to protect, as there is no other cruiseline at a similar price point that offers quite the same type of dining room experience that Celebrity has provided.

So, in answer to your question, the odd individual who does not follow the dress code is NOT a big deal. He or she will NOT ruin anyone's good time. I would hazard a guess that, far from being "upset", most Celebrity cruisers will not even notice anything but the most egregious departures from the dress code. We have found our fellow Celebrity travellers to be lovely, intelligent, well-travelled citizens of the world, as well as excellent conversationalists, and in all our cruises on Celebrity ships, I have never had ANYONE onboard even mention dress codes and departures therefrom. ;)

You explained it perfectly.

I don't think that anyone is really "upset" about an individual that doesn't adhere to the dress code. What I DO think is of concern to many people is that cruisers who are new to Celebrity come to these boards with questions about appropriate dress for smart casual evenings and formal nights. Frequently they will get a response (from one or two posters) to the effect "It is your vacation, you paid for it, wear what you like". These replies often come from individuals who do not normally cruise with Celebrity, but this, of course, is not something that new posters would know.

This type of combative response to dress code queries will naturally elicit replies from people who are worried that this type of advice, if not responded to with some helpful information about appropriate dress, will ultimately result, over time, in a complete free-for-all, with respect to standards of dress in the dining room. And a complete abandonment of dress code guidelines WILL change the atmosphere at dinner. I do understand that the ambience is something that the majority of Celebrity cruisers want to protect, as there is no other cruiseline at a similar price point that offers quite the same type of dining room experience that Celebrity has provided.

So, in answer to your question, the odd individual who does not follow the dress code is NOT a big deal. He or she will NOT ruin anyone's good time. I would hazard a guess that, far from being "upset", most Celebrity cruisers will not even notice anything but the most egregious departures from the dress code. We have found our fellow Celebrity travellers to be lovely, intelligent, well-travelled citizens of the world, as well as excellent conversationalists, and in all our cruises on Celebrity ships, I have never had ANYONE onboard even mention dress codes and departures therefrom. ;)

Very nicely put Waterlily! That helps me to understand better. Again, I have only cruised once and it was with Carnival. I thought the dress code in the MDR was a joke because in my opinion it was nothing more then an Applebees. The service was OK and the food was so so. I'm leaving Sunday on Celebrity Solstice, but I will be eating in Blu most nights so I will not be eating in the MDR, but maybe this experience will help me to understand the ambiance of the Celebrity Dining experience.

Thank you for your incite.

Archived