Are you a Smart Casual Dresser or Not?

C 2 C

Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?  

350 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?

• Do you follow the Smart Dress code when requested?
    • I do not follow the Smart Dress code when requested.

I mean its not MUCH of a standard... (no wife beaters! how chic!)

It's all the foaming at the mouth over jeans and formal night that's interesting. I'm going to Europe with family over 'spring break' (end March), it includes a cruise to Istanbul then post cruise Easter in Paris.

The French are on the verge of quasi-illegalizing the Burka... Half of me says that's nuts, but on the other hand, in pre-trip study I learn that one of the reforms instututed by Islamic Turk and 'Father of the Nation' (Republic) Kemal Pasha Ataturk in the 1920's was banning Ottoman/Islamic headress including the Burka...

Maybe the French are just catching up. Despite my exhausted indifference over cruise ship fashions, maybe clothing does MEAN something... I hope we aren't blown up on the metro.

I'll add my two cents about Jedi Knight's real marriages: I think he means two people who appear to enjoy traveling together who look as though they've BEEN traveling together for quite some time. I think he is comparing it to going out to dinner at home and seeing two people dining together but on cell phones -- and they are NOT talking to each OTHER!

I picture Arno in a button-down long sleeve shirt, and I doubt he eats at early dinner. I think he just chooses to dress smart casual or above for all events that request it or deserve it. How close am I, Arno?

NOW I know who you are all talking about with the shorts. I was surprised to see it, too. I'm trying to remember what his wife was wearing, but I can't. For some reason, "frock" comes to mind, but that can't possibly be right.

JohntheD0g gave us a nice clarification of when/where jeans are allowed in dining venues. Thanks, John.

Cheers, all, and I do love to picture you all, smiling.

I'll add my two cents about Jedi Knight's real marriages: I think he means two people who appear to enjoy traveling together who look as though they've BEEN traveling together for quite some time. I think he is comparing it to going out to dinner at home and seeing two people dining together but on cell phones -- and they are NOT talking to each OTHER!

I picture Arno in a button-down long sleeve shirt, and I doubt he eats at early dinner. I think he just chooses to dress smart casual or above for all events that request it or deserve it. How close am I, Arno?

NOW I know who you are all talking about with the shorts. I was surprised to see it, too. I'm trying to remember what his wife was wearing, but I can't. For some reason, "frock" comes to mind, but that can't possibly be right.

JohntheD0g gave us a nice clarification of when/where jeans are allowed in dining venues. Thanks, John.

Cheers, all, and I do love to picture you all, smiling.

Arno and his wife, Joanne are very smart dressers. You'll never see them in violation or ignoring the dress code. Lovely people.

By "real marriages" I meant marriages that made it. They stayed together thru thick and thin. They beat a divorce rate that after their generation is at an obscene 100%. They seem meant for each other, they've taken lumps together, they feel each other. It was based on love, not on being a hottie 20 something who had a $50k wedding only to see it fail in 5 years. I made no mention as to wanting to allow some to marry, others not to. I'm for Liberty for all If 2 men marry, not my business. If I eat trans fats, not anyone else's business.

So yeah, take offense whoever wants. But I'll say it again: Here's to all of those couples pushing each other in wheelchairs, dancing like ladies and gentlemen to great American music from yesterday, and here's to stability at home which would eliminate the financial abortion that the nation is now going to undergo.

Thanks MayB....right on.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to a nice resort or restaurant where you'd THINK the people would have no worries in the world but it seems the level of unhappiness, or 'distance' between couples is obvious and more rampant than it should be.

So many of these elder couples seemed the opposite to me. Other than Lucas the Comedian who was awesome, DW and I loved to spend 20-30 mins a night before dinner just watching the gray couples dance. Overall I'm very lucky and DW is a jewel, but at times some of her habits and my nasty temper causes strain that is just not worth it. We again reminded each other that no matter what, if God keeps us alive we wanna be one of those gray haired couples slowly dancing with one another decades from now.

I just have alot of respect, maybe too much for generations previous to mine that left me one hell of an amazing country to grow up in, and perhaps I've got some self-guilt in that I feel my generation, in general, (me included) has had it real easy and we have no clue what hard times really are.

Thanks DrWhit, for leaving open the possibility that I didn't mean something sinister and your assumption was right.

Sometimes, people are so "enlightened" that they are quick to be judgemental as one did to me.

No worries, takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Yes we dress smart casual and formal on the formal nights. I work where it is commonplace to wear a jacket to work everyday so its not uncommon for me to see people dress like they have half a brain.

The only exception is a tie, I dont wear one. I wear black slacks, black jacket and a fresh pressed white dress shirt and a pair of (polished) black leather shoes. Its what I wear to work most days and its what I wear on formal nights. Im in my late 20's and I dont wear ties on vacation, im not trying to stick out or make a statement, I just dont pack them. To be honest I dress sharper than most.

I have seen the people who stick out and wear holy jeans, or T shirts just to stand out. I have also seen ballcaps in the MDR.

But, I dont pass judgement and honestly I dont care or let it affect my experience. I am on vacation to spend time with my wife and to be honest that is all I care about.

Thanks DrWhit, for leaving open the possibility that I didn't mean something sinister and your assumption was right.

No problem - I think May B. summed it up better than I did. I don't care who is with who, any person who has been with another person for a long period of time has had to work at it and is to be commended. It doesn't always work out that way for everyone, many times through no fault of their own, but when it does, its nice to see.

And regarding the poll - yes, I try my best to follow the dress code.

Sometimes, people are so "enlightened" that they are quick to be judgemental as one did to me.

No worries, takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I apologize for misinterpreting your somewhat vague remarks. But how was my remark any less judgmental then yours?

You seem to be making many judgments on what is proper dress, true music, and real marriages (not to mention claiming a completely incorrect 100% divorce rate).

You also seem to think it's indecent, lacking in decorum, and bad manners if not wearing sleeves and not tucking in a shirt.

While it doesn't bother me that you feel the way you do, stating it in the way you did is, well, judgmental to say the least. But at least you "enlightened" us.

I don't quite get the "no jeans" thing. Maybe that's why it is not mentioned in one version of the dress code, and implicitly mentioned by being lumped together with shorts in the other version.

There are lots of different kinds of "jeans"--a non-faded pair of 501s in a cream, beige, sand, brown, tan, black or olive color is, in my opinion, smart casual. Wear a polo shirt on top, tucked in, and a decent pair of shoes and socks, and I think there is no reason to feel out of place at a 5 pm pre-dinner cocktail hour. But that is, of course, different from a blue denim-looking, pre-faded (or faded through wear) pair of jeans. I consider jeans to be "pants" (which are mentioned in the dress code as being smart casual), even if they might not have leg creases, and one might see some stitching on the rear pockets. But I would still take the issue of how faded the jeans are and what color into account when determining whether or not they are suitable for evenings in the main dining room or cocktail receptions or whatever, where I would NOT consider shorts to be appropriate. (A clean pair of bleached-white jeans can be quite "dressy", in fact, but I am sure I would get smudges on them after ten minutes of wearing them, so wouldn't try for anything lighter than the cream-beige-tan variety.)

I don't find it judgmental; I find deep and soulful discussion points. I am enjoying the honesty. Its meaningful.

Just to be clear, you think my questioning the possible meaning of a statement is judgmental, but stating it's indecent and bad manners to not tuck in a shirt isn't judgmental?

As usual Finely, we will have to agree to disagree. :)

There are lots of different kinds of "jeans"--a non-faded pair of 501s in a cream, beige, sand, brown, tan, black or olive color is, in my opinion, smart casual. Wear a polo shirt on top, tucked in, and a decent pair of shoes and socks, and I think there is no reason to feel out of place at a 5 pm pre-dinner cocktail hour.

Just my opinion, but I think what you've described here is more of a "Casual Friday" look than a "Smart Casual" look appropriate for cocktails.

My two cents: replace the 501s with linen or cotton trousers (any colour); replace the polo shirt with a crisp cotton shirt in a flattering solid, classic black/white, or an interesting print (Etro or Robert Graham do these really well); finish the outfit off with driving moccasins (like Tod's) or sleek, well-shined loafers (no socks). Personally, I'd also add a lightweight, well-tailored cotton or linen jacket, but I think that's optional.

Just my opinion, but I think what you've described here is more of a "Casual Friday" look than a "Smart Casual" look appropriate for cocktails.

My two cents: replace the 501s with linen or cotton trousers (any colour); replace the polo shirt with a crisp cotton shirt in a flattering solid, classic black/white, or an interesting print (Etro or Robert Graham do these really well); finish the outfit off with driving moccasins (like Tod's) or sleek, well-shined loafers (no socks). Personally, I'd also add a lightweight, well-tailored cotton or linen jacket, but I think that's optional.

I think that sounds lovely but sadly I'd have to guess less than 10% of the North American population would own those items.

nope : my husband is allergic to ties ... so collared white shirt and dark blazer or jacket on dark trousers is the maximum I can get out of him.

I do have a couple of silk sarees, I always I take one on long cruises (it helps hide new fat when you get some weight on :) ) and a pair of very light evening dresses (one Valentino and one Armani... we do have fantastic outlets in Italy :)). Suitcases have to remain light when travelling by air to/from the boat.

And I cannot overdress if my husband loves the casual looks of Cesar Romero on his private yacht...

I do not know what to expect on HAL : on Costa boats the dress code is very simple :)

By "real marriages" I meant marriages that made it. They stayed together thru thick and thin. They beat a divorce rate that after their generation is at an obscene 100%. They seem meant for each other, they've taken lumps together, they feel each other. It was based on love, not on being a hottie 20 something who had a $50k wedding only to see it fail in 5 years.

Aw shucks JED, you're describing Bill and Hillary! You devil.

Judging other people's marriages... and the IQ of their clothes... I LOVE this thread!!:D:D

Just to be clear, you think my questioning the possible meaning of a statement is judgmental, but stating it's indecent and bad manners to not tuck in a shirt isn't judgmental?

As usual Finely, we will have to agree to disagree. :)

I was commenting on the idea of real marriage. The clothes thing is not my concern but if you want my thoughts, my prefernce is to see shirts tucked in slacks in a dressy casual scenario.:)

nope : my husband is allergic to ties ... :)

So tell him to wear a bow tie!! OK, I guess that isn't the solution.

I started wearing a suit instead of a Tux, gives me more 'options', especially when there are more then 1 or 2 Formal nights. A friend added a bow tie instead of a regular tie, and I thought it looked more 'formal' almost Tux-like. May try it just to spiff up some.

As to being 'allergic' to ties, since I wear them to work at various times as needed, I'd have a problem complaining about it for formal nights - I mean, I wear it because I'm 'paid' to do so, but won't for my wife when she dresses up??

Just a thought.

Denny

So tell him to wear a bow tie!! OK, I guess that isn't the solution.

I started wearing a suit instead of a Tux, gives me more 'options', especially when there are more then 1 or 2 Formal nights. A friend added a bow tie instead of a regular tie, and I thought it looked more 'formal' almost Tux-like. May try it just to spiff up some.

As to being 'allergic' to ties, since I wear them to work at various times as needed, I'd have a problem complaining about it for formal nights - I mean, I wear it because I'm 'paid' to do so, but won't for my wife when she dresses up??

Just a thought.

Denny

Thank you Denny :) but the problem is now he is retired, he simply does not want to. I don't feel like imposing it but I'll snatch a tie and bring it without telling him :) just in case. A bow tie ? no way.

I don't quite get the "no jeans" thing. Maybe that's why it is not mentioned in one version of the dress code, and implicitly mentioned by being lumped together with shorts in the other version.

There are lots of different kinds of "jeans"--a non-faded pair of 501s in a cream, beige, sand, brown, tan, black or olive color is, in my opinion, smart casual. Wear a polo shirt on top, tucked in, and a decent pair of shoes and socks, and I think there is no reason to feel out of place at a 5 pm pre-dinner cocktail hour. But that is, of course, different from a blue denim-looking, pre-faded (or faded through wear) pair of jeans. I consider jeans to be "pants" (which are mentioned in the dress code as being smart casual), even if they might not have leg creases, and one might see some stitching on the rear pockets. But I would still take the issue of how faded the jeans are and what color into account when determining whether or not they are suitable for evenings in the main dining room or cocktail receptions or whatever, where I would NOT consider shorts to be appropriate. (A clean pair of bleached-white jeans can be quite "dressy", in fact, but I am sure I would get smudges on them after ten minutes of wearing them, so wouldn't try for anything lighter than the cream-beige-tan variety.)

This look is trendy but not smart casual.

Hm... "trendy" is probably even more difficult to interpret than "smart casual". I don't think 501s are trendy--that is more the classic cut of Levis, while the fashions that come and go (like bell bottoms or having the crotch at one's knees, or just being whatever the latest new craze even on a more upscale level might be) is more what I consider trendy.

As for the difference between "smart casual" and "casual Friday", I don't necessarily see one. The casualness of casual Friday has to do with not necessarily having to wear a shirt that buttons down all the way over the navel, not having to wear a jacket, and not having to wear a tie. Casual can cover a wide spectrum, from "slobby casual" to "smart casual"--for a day at the office (such as casual Friday), one would expect more smart casual than slobby casual (though perhaps some IT firms might allow sweatshirts, jogging pants, and baseball caps?). But add that linen jacket, and it starts to move from casual to formal in my book (though obviously not all the way there to formal, unless you add more, like neckties, etc). Of course, I agree the linen or cotton chinos/trousers are also within what I consider "smart casual" (and at the somewhat less casual end of that spectrum, making them presumably also "smarter"), I think the size, color and condition of the jeans would determine whether the kind of casual is smart or not. Given that my next cruise will be in the Caribbean, where the jeans fabric might be a bit heavy, anyway, this is probably a more theoretical discussion.

If you want to make sure that every gentleman at the cocktail reception is wearing a jacket (and most are wearing ties), then you might want to dub it "semi-formal" rather than "smart casual" to make that clear. But it is interesting to see that perhaps I am alone in my opinion of how all this should be defined--I suppose this is best learned before doing my packing! :-)

Gee, I guess we're just about perfect.;) We've been married 51 years and dress properly! Formal wear in Florida is socks. Seriously, I guess age must have something to do with it because both of us would look like we're going to milk cows or bale hay if we wore jeans anywhere than home in the winter. On a cruise we always dress appropriately. Himself wears trousers and TUCKED-in COLLARED shirts and possibly a sports blazer on most nights. I consider myself a smart, casual dresser. Either silk pants or white pants. One of my favorite outfits is black silk pants, a lace cami and black jacquard silk jacket. The other night I received several compliments while on a cruise. I had a long white linen dress with black jewelry and a black shawl. That's casual for me.

And if we had to go somewhere on the ship before dinner, I would always slip into a linen sundress rather than shorts.

Archived