Are you a Smart Casual Dresser or Not?

C 2 C

Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?  

350 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?

• Do you follow the Smart Dress code when requested?
    • I do not follow the Smart Dress code when requested.

After all the never-ending Dress Code threads discussing how to get away with not dressing appropriately, it seems we'd have many more saying they don't follow the guidelines. Instead, it's 98%+ who dress 'Smart Casual'. Boy, do we waste a lot of posts discussing this issue with one or two who want to find a way of not following the guidelines. And yes, I call them guidelines, not rules.

it's always us guys who feel we have to dress like we are teenagers. I find it interesting that so many guys come up with the 'I have to wear shirt/slacks or a coat/tie at work so won't on a cruise'. I guess that means we'll dress appropriately if we are paid for it, but not for our wives. Interesting.

Denny

People do go on about dress, it's all there what is expected, they wouldn't publish these guidelines if they didn't expect them to be followed. True that I do not see the term "Rules," but I also do not see ''suggested'' or "recommended guidelines'' I do however see words like "not allowed" & "asked to follow".

For me it will mean cotton or linen trousers, a short or long sleeved linen or cotton shirt, a linen or cotton blazer and driving shoes or loafers. I wouldn't even think of packing jeans for a Caribbean cruise-- to heavy and bulky in the suitcase, and too hot to wear!

I had to reply that I do follow the smart casual code, when in fact I do not. However, there was no other choice in the poll. I always have slacks, jacket, shirt and tie unless it is formal and then it's the tuxedo. My wife is always in cocktail dress or upscale style pantsuits or slacks with sparkling tops. Smart casual is not for us; we liked what Celebrity used to do, and we stick to it.

We do too!

My husband and I pretty much always follow the dress guidelines, smart casual being what we are more comfortable with over formal nights anyway. With the luggage restrictions with the airlines, it is difficult to pack a lot of different clothing options, especially for a long cruise, mix and match smart casual would be easier and less to pack. We have only sailed with Celebrity once a few years ago and are cruising with them again in Feb, so I have been paying a lot of attention to these boards. One memory of the cruise we took on the Millie, I was shocked to see that a lot of people wore the terry cloth robes that were provided in the cabins, all over the ship, all day long, sort of like they crawled out of bed and went to breakfast in their robe. Is that the norm? Is that why they are there?

For smart casual I usually wear a suit silk or linen or a semi long skirt with matching blouse. I have clothes from cruises past that I still wear and they are still in style because they are sorta classic. We dress like we are going to a special dinner.

Joann and Bob

Would you elaborate, please? It's bad enough that the "smart casual" definition posted above is so ambiguous (for men, jeans and a t-shirt would fit the definition as long as the jeans are with without holes and the shirt has sleeves, which hardly smacks of "smart.") And there's an inconsistent definition posted elsewhere to boot?

It is my belief that the only ones having a problem with the definition are the ones who want to turn the cruise experience into something akin to a day at an amusement park. For the vast majority of Celebrity cruisers who see a cruise on these ships as special, the understanding is quite easy.

It is my belief that the only ones having a problem with the definition are the ones who want to turn the cruise experience into something akin to a day at an amusement park. For the vast majority of Celebrity cruisers who see a cruise on these ships as special, the understanding is quite easy.

Do you really think your reply is helpful?

I have never been on Celebrity but have sailed on HAL, Oceania, RCCL, Princess, Disney, Cunard, and a few others. I always wear dress pants and sport coat to the MDR unless its a formal night then I wear my tux or sometimes a nice suit. I dont understand why folks have such an issue with looking nice in an elegant setting.

How many times have people got to explain how to dress when going out to a nice restaurant for dinner, presumably to adults. The MDR on cruise ships is a stunning experience for most normal people who seldom, if ever, dine in such places. Well dressed people, immaculate uniformed staff trained to high standards, impeccable service...& people want to wear T-shirts & shorts......

Oh Mr. Arno you've certainly opened the can of worms on this one.

On our recent TA we found that at the afternoon cocktails, of which we only attended a few, that generally the people in late seating would come as they were and the people in early would be dressed for dinner.

Should I decide on Celebrity at some point for a Canada/NE cruise, here's what I'd wear:

Smart Casual: Jeans, Turtleneck, Clogs

Formal: Black Knit Trousers, Black V-neck sweater, Clogs, sparkly brooch, diamond stud earrings.

Mind you, I don't intend to eat in the MDR on formal night, but the clothing is sufficiently appropriate and respectful of fellow passengers to wear as an alternative. A little black and a little bling can take a woman an awfully long way. Not really fair, but there you have it.

I'm one of a growing minority who still likes to dress up on cruises. On formal nights I wear either flowing palazzo pants with tops with jewels, sequins, bangles etc or a long knit dress with different jackets on top-- all would be suitable for wear to a formal wedding, formal night at the opera etc. For smart casual nights, I wear nice slacks and a "dressy" top (come on ladies, even supposed "slobs" know what that is!!!) My husband bought a dark black suit and vest and a tuxedo shirt that he wears for formal night and on semi formal nights he leaves off the vest and wears a dress shirt (come on men, even "slobs" know what a dress shirt is) For other nights we both just wear nice slacks and tops. I have put together what I call our "cruise wardrobe which includes jewelry". None was expensive-- everything bought at deep discount.

I know there is an attitude among newer cruisers that it is their vacation and they will wear whatever they want. I agree if that is what they want, they should eat upstairs in the buffet.

In the not so distant past, each cruise line was known for a certain style-- Celebrity had the reputation of being more formal along with HAL. In the ideal world, the cruise lines would stick to their origins and stop trying to be all things to all people. NCCL started the anytime dining and now they are all doing it and I attribute the serious decline in dining room service to that policy.

It was to me! It's my vacation, I paid for it, and I'll think what I want :)

BTW: I wear a tux on formal nights, and dress slacks and a button down shirt on casual nights, often with a jacket (but no tie), in case you need to know. I never wear jeans in the MDR, even the so-called 'designer' jeans. However, at home I am almost always in jeans and T-shirt, or sweatpants. Jeans are my normal attire when I shop, do casual dining, or a movie. But on a Celebrity cruise, which to me is a very special event, I will dress up to enhance the experience. I have no desire to treat my beautiful cruise as if it was just another day at home.

I also believe that there will always be people who try to get away with as much as they possibly can, no matter what the situation is. They will read into any instructions, requests, or recommendations provided, only that which works for their own satisfaction. It's a symptom of the dumbing down of society that seems to be accelerating lately. More and more people these days are fixated on their own pleasures, no matter who it inconveniences.

I prefer Celebrity because there are fewer of these people than on most other cruiselines. Unfortunately, that seems to becoming a thing off the past.

Should I decide on Celebrity at some point for a Canada/NE cruise, here's what I'd wear:

Smart Casual: Jeans, Turtleneck, Clogs

Formal: Black Knit Trousers, Black V-neck sweater, Clogs, sparkly brooch, diamond stud earrings.

Mind you, I don't intend to eat in the MDR on formal night, but the clothing is sufficiently appropriate and respectful of fellow passengers to wear as an alternative. A little black and a little bling can take a woman an awfully long way. Not really fair, but there you have it.

This is a joke ..right...it is....isn't it? I have a horrible feeling it's not.....

Well.....the clogs may definatley kill the formal outfit.

Aww, c'mon. What's wrong with a pair of nice black suede clogs?:confused: ...and I believe I've already noted the outfit is in no way formal, but sufficiently respectful and respectable for wear in the Lido on formal night.

...and the correct spelling is "definitely." Reminds me of the woman who thought she was heaping "distain" upon those who choose not to dress up--on this very CC board. I guess we can't have it all; those who dress up can't spell, and those who can spell can't dress up. I'll choose literacy every time.

Dress "codes" are so subjective. I manage an area of 30+ white collar workers and there are continual battles as to what consitutes "business casual" -- once we get past "no denim jeans" and "men must wear a shirt with a collar" -- everything goes down the tubes :D.

My idea of smart casual meets the minimum guidelines set out in X's documentation, but may not necessarily meet someone else's interpretation of those same guidelines.

Some of us can spell AND dress.

It's not the same as trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I liked Ma Bell's description, and several others.

Mr. B. brought a few ties on board our Panama Canal cruise, but I think he didn't wear any (except on formal nights -- and for those, he has two ties, one tux). Quite a few cruising gentlemen wore jackets and ties, and imho they looked best.

I think choosing a black or brown pair of Travelers pants and an appropriate pair of shoes allows us women the ability to look different every night but not need extra storage space than what we get on M class ships. I actually wear a jacket most nights b/c I tend to feel chilly if I'm under an air conditioning vent, and I do wear each jacket at least twice.

There was an interesting thread a while back asking your most compulsive cruise behavior. I was at a loss for words when I found out that some folks make some kind of spread sheet for what they plan to wear all the days of the cruise (including jewelry). I guess I WISH I were that compulsive.

;)

I remain totally confused, and am now disgusted as well. The former condition, sadly, is an ever more frequent affliction. :o Attribute it to Mad Cow Disease. The latter arises from the *****-sure attitude of those seemingly possessed of super-literacy powers that not only permit them to avoid any and all possible spelling or grammatical mistakes while ridiculing those not so blessed, but somehow also allows them to magically divine the meaning of "smart casual," being assisted only by some subjective sense of what "smart" must imply when the published dress code provides only additional guidance (for men) only to the extent of prohibiting pants with holes, flip-flops, and shirts without sleeves or collars. Wish I had been bestowed with such omniscience.

I will leave it to others to continue this useless and destructive debate, one which the original OP expressly sought to discourage. The poll was inherently flawed from the outset anyway. The poll simply asks whether or not you follow the "Smart Dress [and Above] Codes" when requested. However, the original post explaining the poll poses a narrower inquiry, i.e, whether or not you wear smart casual and above attire as "requested" or as "specified" when attending a Captain's Club function. Who knows how the poll is being interpreted by those responding to it. Obviously, many are relating their experiences and intentions with respect to the main dining venue, a different animal. Moreover, interpreting the results is an equally vain exercise. It is more meaningful (to me at least) that over 1200 to date have viewed the thread and refrained from voting than the fact that 6 persons - - less than 4% (at present tally) - - have expressly indicated they will not abide by the "codes," "requirements," "guidelines," "recommendations," or whatever the heck they are, given that they are so hopelessly vague and ambiguous. Many are likely refusing to participate because they are confused by the poll, confused (as I am) by the meaning of smart casual and above, are disinterested, or plan to ignore the dress code but have no intention of publicly admitting as much for various reasons. All of which renders any meaningful interpretation of the poll results simply impossible, much less statistically significant. (Sorry, Arno.)

Those of you so disposed can have at it and continue this offensive and ultimately feckless badinage. (Gee, I hope I spelled that right, buckirj1. :rolleyes:) For me, I'm outta here. But not before this reminder of what ought to be common courtesy, and which is a posted "guideline" for community behavior on these boards:

"Spelling and Grammar Errors: It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies." [see "]http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#10; emphasis added.]

Were that these guidelines were followed as some would profess to be following the X dress codes. Stooping to ridiculing an OP's alleged misspelling of "disdain," and another's of "definitely," each of which could more generously and charitably have been dismissed as simple typos, to me is especially rude, malicious, and unwelcome.

Once more, outta here. (Whoops. "Out of here." Wouldn't want to again offend anyone's literacy sensibilities.)

SPECIFICALLY' date=' what do you wear.

Xellent, are you the one who recently cruised for six weeks? If so, please tell us what your wife wore on Smart Casual nights. What and how much did she take?

Thanks.[/quote']

Jersey pants (chicos travelers or equivalent) with a nice blouse. I plan to dress about the same all day, except for morning work outs, then I don't have to change clothes more than 2x a day! I'll probably only pack 2 or 3 pairs of pants & lots of mix & match blouses, including extra dressy for formal nights.

Soft jersey is so easy to pack- too bad men don't have the equivalent!

I answered yes but fibbed some. Let me go back to Arno's question.

First, it had nothing to do with dinner.

We did have invites to many smart casual events. We only went to the Elite cocktail hour(s) a couple of times but dressed smart casual. I would say that for those among us there were those in shorts and t-shirts, especially those with late seating. Many gents also wore polo shirts with business or college insignea. Sort of the type of thing you would see at a social networking gathering but wouldn't wear to a nice restaraunt (well, maybe the college stuff depending on where you are from).

The folks with early seating would normally be dressed for dinner but the others were not.

One where I would say the majority broke the rule (including us) was the Connection Party. Our roll call had invested a significant amount of time plus some cash for T-shirts. And the connection party was at 10am. I'm guessing that event cooridinater (or whoever was in charge) messed up on the "Smart Casual" note on the invitations. The Captain didn't seem displeased (maybe the coffee mug helped :D). For the first time (least for us) Bloody Marys, Champagne and Mimosas were served.

Some of us can spell AND dress.

There was an interesting thread a while back asking your most compulsive cruise behavior. I was at a loss for words when I found out that some folks make some kind of spread sheet for what they plan to wear all the days of the cruise (including jewelry). I guess I WISH I were that compulsive.

;)

I admit to that- It helps me pare down what I need & what I can mix & match.:o

You know what? I think that's one of the reasons Mr. B. skipped it -- he didn't feel like changing out of his daytime casual t-shirt!

Anyway, Caladvoc, thanks for the reminder about how to be polite here, and CCruiseQueen, I am so impressed with your method. If you ever decide to sell it, I shall consider buying!

Cheers, all. Keep smiling!

:)

You know what? I think that's one of the reasons Mr. B. skipped it -- he didn't feel like changing out of his daytime casual t-shirt!

Anyway, Caladvoc, thanks for the reminder about how to be polite here, and CCruiseQueen, I am so impressed with your method. If you ever decide to sell it, I shall consider buying!

Cheers, all. Keep smiling!

:)

Maybe Mr. B decided to skip it for the same reason as us. A 400 person cattle call overwhelming 20 waiters for free booze. We gave up on the Captains Club reception and didn't go the last, others reported the same results. Doesn't matter the dress, this and the Captains Welcome aboard has always seemed to bring out the worst in people.

We also do the spreadsheet approach and then go nuts the final packing night (to many what ifs:D).

Archived