Are you a Smart Casual Dresser or Not?

C 2 C

Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?  

350 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow the Celebrity "Smart Dress Code" or not?

• Do you follow the Smart Dress code when requested?
    • I do not follow the Smart Dress code when requested.

This is a very simple poll that needs no comment about whether you agree with Celebrity's dress code or not, whether you approve of the dress code of other passengers or not. Simply put, when you attend a Captain's Club function that specifies "Smart Casual", (1) do you follow the code or (2) not.

Examples:

Captain's Club Celebration, Senior Officer's Cocktail Party, Afternoon cocktails from 4:00 to 6:00.

I have left out the morning Michael's Club breakfast from 8:00 to 10:00 because so many just drop in for a quick coffee before heading ashore or relaxing around the ship.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

I had to reply that I do follow the smart casual code, when in fact I do not. However, there was no other choice in the poll. I always have slacks, jacket, shirt and tie unless it is formal and then it's the tuxedo. My wife is always in cocktail dress or upscale style pantsuits or slacks with sparkling tops. Smart casual is not for us; we liked what Celebrity used to do, and we stick to it.

Smart casual is not for us; we liked what Celebrity used to do, and we stick to it.

Smart Casual and Above

Sorry, the poll should have asked whether you dress "Smart Casual and Above";)

SPECIFICALLY' date=' what do you wear.

Xellent, are you the one who recently cruised for six weeks? If so, please tell us what your wife wore on Smart Casual nights. What and how much did she take?

Thanks.[/quote']

Yes and we just left with 4 suitcases to last from Jan 4th to Feb. 28th.:D

My stuff takes up as much space as hers.

Basically we just follow X's suggestions: for my DW, dress slacks and a dressy tops: no jeans, no T-shirts, no running shoes.

For men nice pants or slacks and a collared shirt. Some men wear sport coats and even ties.

Ladies wear dresses, capris, nice pants or skirts and tops that are somewhat dressier than an ordinary t-shirt.

Something that you might wear to a nice restaurant, country club, business event etc. Not what you'd wear to McDonalds, the park or the beach.

Nice shoes, no sneakers, flip flops or athletic shoes.

This is one of the most interesting polls I have viewed on CC. Assuming, arguendo, that the results of the poll are representative of the practices of the folks on the M and S class ships, then potential Celebrity cruisers should not be deterred by the few posts by some individuals on these boards who would have you think otherwise. In other words, it has been our experience, as elites, on these ships that virtually everyone adheres to the suggested dress codes.

This is one of the most interesting polls I have viewed on CC. Assuming, arguendo, that the results of the poll are representative of the practices of the folks on the M and S class ships, then potential Celebrity cruisers should not be deterred by the few posts by some individuals on these boards who would have you think otherwise. In other words, it has been our experience, as elites, on these ships that virtually everyone adheres to the suggested dress codes.

Wouldn't it totally depend on your interpretation of "Smart Casual"...I've seen some scary one's who do believe they're following the dress code. Yet look like they've just got up. Celebrity doesn't help either with it's mixed messages on the website.. two areas dealing with dress code should not say two different things.

Wouldn't it totally depend on your interpretation of "Smart Casual"...I've seen some scary one's who do believe they're following the dress code. Yet look like they've just got up. Celebrity doesn't help either with it's mixed messages on the website.. two areas dealing with dress code should not say two different things.

That's why I asked posters to be specific. Many pax do not know what Smart Casual means.

For example: pants and a dressy top. What is a "dressy top"? Sequins? Anything other than the tee shirts with writing? There's an entire range in between the two.

That's why I asked posters to be specific. Many pax do not know what Smart Casual means.

I agree with you. I also believe that just because you're wearing the prescribed piece of clothing recommended, it does not make it smart casual. It's usually how you wear it.

We always dress smart casual or above for all evenings and events. Formal attire and tux for formal evenings, and the rest of the evenings hubby wears a sport jacket with tie and I am in dress slacks with a fancy top or dress.

One of the best things about cruising is getting dressed up for the evenings!

DH and I have booked for our first cruise in July and fully intend to adhere to all the dress codes. After slobbing around in 'dog clothes' most of the time I am looking forward to dressing and feeling feminine :)

For me "smart casual" means no jeans; no (required) tie for men; proper shoes i.e. no flip/flips, trainers etc; as for the T-shirt question, a tshirt/t shirt vest under a jacket or similar is ok, but otherwise no.

That's my penny worth.

Celebrity doesn't help either with it's mixed messages on the website.. two areas dealing with dress code should not say two different things.

Would you elaborate, please? It's bad enough that the "smart casual" definition posted above is so ambiguous (for men, jeans and a t-shirt would fit the definition as long as the jeans are with without holes and the shirt has sleeves, which hardly smacks of "smart.") And there's an inconsistent definition posted elsewhere to boot?

Without more specificity and guidance as to what "smart casual" is intended to convey, kinda renders the poll meaningless doesn't it? Seems to me that those indicating they abide by the rules and will continue to do so are effectively pledging only not to flaunt them by wearing the likes of shorts, "wife-beaters," and flip-flops. Anyway, for what's its worth, I would certainly wear at least casual slacks, a long-sleeved collared shirt, and dress loafers. Meanwhile, DW will be her usual elegant and beautiful self, and will continue to make me look better merely by association. In her presence, I become virtually invisible anyway.

Meanwhile, perhaps Xellent, who is currently in the midst of a several week cruise "marathon" could enlighten as to what prompted this poll. Arno, are you witnessing a lack of respectable attire that has provoked this poll?

Would you elaborate, please?

Sure, go to Celebrity's website and under Search, type in Dress code..the normal place people might look. Under the FAQs on dress code it makes no mention on Jeans not being allowed in the Main Dining room.

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Now, go under Onboard Experience, Click on Dining, proper dining attire

and we get the added paragraph of...

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

Archived