Acropolis question

catl331

Very difficult if you have any immobility issues. Some of the steps are 18 -24 inches high . It is very slippery in places , as worn marble can be. Wear shoes with good traction. Can be very crowded as well if you are there when the cruise ship buses are.

If you can go by a private taxi before all the crowds arrive, then you will have plenty of space/time to manoever yourself to the best walking paths.

Very difficult if you have any immobility issues. Some of the steps are 18 -24 inches high . It is very slippery in places , as worn marble can be. Wear shoes with good traction. Can be very crowded as well if you are there when the cruise ship buses are.

If you can go by a private taxi before all the crowds arrive, then you will have plenty of space/time to manoever yourself to the best walking paths.

Thanks ... that's what I was afraid I'd hear. :(:(

I need to know how difficult a walk it is up to the Acropolis buildings. Is it steep or stairs etc. Thanks

Part of the distance/path up the hill is a more gentle slop and/or roadway as you go to the area where you get your tickets, hire private guides, etc. Then, it is a little more challenging, the stone steps can be a little slippery, etc. People have a habit of looking to see the famed buildings above and are not always watching where they are walking up the varied steps. It all can be done, but the Acropolis is what it is because of being a large hill or mountain top that towers over the terrain below it. It is a flat-topped rock that rises 490 ft above sea level within the city of Athens, with a surface area of about 3 hectares. The nearby Plaka is probably around 30-60 feet above sea level, so you get the idea of its height to go up.

The bigger question is about the condition of the persons trying to go up the hill. It might take a little patience and care. Is is worth it? I think it is super wonderful. Loved our visit there!!! Below are some visual samples of what you will discover there at the top. This site is not designed with elevators and/or properly scaled ramps for wheelchairs, etc. Does this help?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

A view from below the Parthenon:

ArcopHill.jpg

From the Parthenon, a view of Athens and another temple:

AcrHillView3.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

A small temple adjoining the Parthenon:

TempleOnAcrHill.jpg

Enjoying a bright, sunny day in front of the famed Parthenon:

ParthenonPosing.jpg

Thanks for your answers. By hook or by crook I will get up to the Acropolis. I always wear shoes with traction and I will just take my time and not look up at the sights! I looked up into a tree in Barbadoes to see what kind of birds were making such a racket and down I went. I bounce well tho. My sister-in-law had knee replacements but I think she can do it also if we get there before the crowds. None of the guidebooks could answer this question. Great pics!;)

Thanks for your answers. By hook or by crook I will get up to the Acropolis. I always wear shoes with traction and I will just take my time and not look up at the sights! I looked up into a tree in Barbadoes to see what kind of birds were making such a racket and down I went. I bounce well tho. My sister-in-law had knee replacements but I think she can do it also if we get there before the crowds. None of the guidebooks could answer this question. Great pics!;)

THANKS for your follow-up and the nice comments on the pictures! YES, it sounds like you have the focus, determination and interest to make it work. It's not like there is only a short window of time to get up the hill. You can go up there and down at your own pace, taking as much time as needed. It will all work out. Let us know any other questions. Lots of helpful people on these boards. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There are elevators available for the mobility-challenged but I believe you need to make reservations or arrangements in advance. I suggest you do a search as this issue has been brought up and discussed numerous times previously.

There are elevators available for the mobility-challenged but I believe you need to make reservations or arrangements in advance. I suggest you do a search as this issue has been brought up and discussed numerous times previously.

Did check a little more and from this website at the bottom of the page

http://www.athensguide.com/acropolis.html

there is info on a fairly new elevator potential. As you read more and connect, it does indicate that there can be challenges getting to the place on the north face for taking this device up. Things are better since this was done in 2004, but it is still not easy, quick and simple at the bottom and on top for this site.

They installed an elevator for the Olympics, however, it is open air and is attached to the side of the cliff. Supposedly, you need to make a reservation to go up and to go down and you need a doctor's note if you're disabled but not in a wheelchair. You can search for photos.

DH cannot do very many steps so we considered tyring to ride the elevator but since we didn't know what time we'd arrive there, we decided just to see it from below.

Agree with D4. We wore ourselves out just getting from street level to the entrance. We were going to see about the elevator, but decided we would just be satisfied with photos from the bottom. Didn't want to kill ourselves to have a closer view.

Be sure to take water and go early. Depending on time of year you are going, Summer can be hot and miserable up on that rock. The view of Athens is amazing though, Mount Lycabettus is actually higher, you look down on the Acropolis, which surprised me. I always thought the Acropolis was the highest point in the city. And there is a funicular up to it.

Have fun exploring Athens!

Thank you, Amazing pictures

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Here are a few more from around the Arcopolis, especially in the nearby Plaka that we loved so much. Great food, fun, music and joy in that nearby area right below the Acropolis. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Night view of the Parthenon on its historic hill:

AcrpNightView.jpg

Some of the interesting architectural details on the upper levels of the Parthenon:

Acrop.jpg

From Acropolis Hill, a view towards the old Olympic Statium in Athens, other Roman ruins:

AthOlymStadium.jpg

Parthenon Museum historic art and other items:

AcrpMuseum.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Night opera performance at outdoor theatre right below the Parthenon:

NightOpera.jpg

Understand that there are guides outside of the Acropolis that will take you into it and explain the various sights. Am sure some are better than others.

Any recommendations on guides would appeciate the information.

jill

Understand that there are guides outside of the Acropolis that will take you into it and explain the various sights. Am sure some are better than others. Any recommendations on guides would appeciate the information. jill

YES, Jill, you're correct that guides are available there where you get your tickets to visit up to the Acropolis. It's hard to suggest one or two specific folks because they might not be there and available at the time you arrive. They'll be up on the hill doing tours! I would suggest chatting with several of the guides on price, getting a sense of their skills in English, knowledge, etc. Our guide was an older, retired teach who was super wonderful. You can see her below giving my wife background as we toured the areas around the Acropolis. Line up your guide before getting your tickets. There might be long lines to get your tickets and your guide can by-pass that delay for getting the admissions paid. That save time.

Examing relics with our guide near the Parthenon:

AropWithGuide.jpg

YES, Jill, you're correct that guides are available there where you get your tickets to visit up to the Acropolis. It's hard to suggest one or two specific folks because they might not be there and available at the time you arrive. They'll be up on the hill doing tours! I would suggest chatting with several of the guides on price, getting a sense of their skills in English, knowledge, etc. Our guide was an older, retired teach who was super wonderful. You can see her below giving my wife background as we toured the areas around the Acropolis. Line up your guide before getting your tickets. There might be long lines to get your tickets and your guide can by-pass that delay for getting the admissions paid. That save time.

Examing relics with our guide near the Parthenon:

AropWithGuide.jpg

What is the cost for one of these guides? Thanks. Jean

What is the cost for one of these guides? Thanks. Jean

As I re-call it was somewhere around $70-85. It seemed kind of costly at the time, but after making that investment and doing the tour, it paid off very, very well. She was great and for such a world-class place, it's nice to know ALL of the details, what we were seeing, why and how, etc.!!!

You can get lots of good details on the Acropolis from this website:

http://www.athensguide.com/acropolis.html

I need to know how difficult a walk it is up to the Acropolis buildings. Is it steep or stairs etc. Thanks

Hi,

Just came back from a 14 day cruise Black Sea and Holy Land in Oct/09. We arrived in Athens on Oct 2. Did all the sights and yes the Acropolis is quite steep in a few sections (not all). It is so beautiful! Enjoy:D

Great photos. We are going the end of April. What time of the year was your trip?

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! We were in Athens July 14-17, 2006. You can see some added pictures, tips, etc., by checking these two threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1123942

Let us know any other questions by doing follow-up on those two threads. Also, do a search on this thread for Greece Ports. Where else are you headed for your April cruise? Maybe I have been there and have added pictures. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If you have mobility issues, I highly recommend that you climb from the southeast entrance (near the Acropoli metro stop and the New Acropolis Museum). If you use that entrance, you start alreay part-way up, and there are gentle slopes and very few stairs until you reach the bottleneck right near the top.

You will save approximately 100 steps using this route versus climbing from the north side near the Agora.

If you have mobility issues, I highly recommend that you climb from the southeast entrance (near the Acropoli metro stop and the New Acropolis Museum). If you use that entrance, you start alreay part-way up, and there are gentle slopes and very few stairs until you reach the bottleneck right near the top.

You will save approximately 100 steps using this route versus climbing from the north side near the Agora.

Hi, I also have a mobility issue. 1.) Do they sell entrance tickets from the SE side as well. 2) And if I get a doctor's note to use the lift they have on the northside, would using the southeast still be easier? I have a breathing issue so both steep hills and steps are hard for me. Thanks

Thank you!

Hi, I also have a mobility issue. 1.) Do they sell entrance tickets from the SE side as well. 2) And if I get a doctor's note to use the lift they have on the northside, would using the southeast still be easier? I have a breathing issue so both steep hills and steps are hard for me. Thanks

1. Tickets are sold at all three entrances, as well as the other six sites on the 12 Euro combination ticket, such as the Agora or Temple of Zeus.

2. The lift certainly would be the easiest, and you can get a taxi to take you right there. Details on how to pre-arrange can be found on sister website tripadvisor's Athens forum, or probably also if you just search these forum. I recall details being provided a few months ago.

1. Tickets are sold at all three entrances, as well as the other six sites on the 12 Euro combination ticket, such as the Agora or Temple of Zeus.

2. The lift certainly would be the easiest, and you can get a taxi to take you right there. Details on how to pre-arrange can be found on sister website tripadvisor's Athens forum, or probably also if you just search this forum. I recall details being provided a few months ago.

Archived