Windjammer Embarkation Lunch Etiquette

angiemom

As noted above there are fire doors that are closed..How did this person just get to their cabin to drop off carryons ???? Don't count on this !!!!

Oftentimes those fire doors are closed but not locked so it can be possible, but going to your room to stash your carryons while the room stewards are still hustling to prepare the rooms for its occupants will likely delay their completing the job and may make it more difficult for them to maneuver around your room finishing their tasks. Better to find a spot on the ship to sit and relax and wait until they officially open the fire doors and announce that you can access your room.:)

Oftentimes those fire doors are closed but not locked so it can be possible, but going to your room to stash your carryons while the room stewards are still hustling to prepare the rooms for its occupants will likely delay their completing the job and may make it more difficult for them to maneuver around your room finishing their tasks. Better to find a spot on the ship to sit and relax and wait until they officially open the fire doors and announce that you can access your room.:)

Not only that, but it is fabulously inconsiderate to go in there before they are open. This is just a reflection of the self-centered, "the-rules-don't-apply-to-me" attitude that far too many people seem to possess these days.

How hard is it to handle a carry-on for a few hours? If it's that much of a burden, then maybe you're "carrying-on" too much! Better yet, don't show up to the port at 10am! Come at noon or even one and you'll walk right into the cabin.

My favorite is when people say "I was real quick in and out, it didn't interfere with anything!" Okay, great, so how about if everybody does that?

I'm a new cruiser seeking advice. We will have carry ons with us containing prescrptions, camera, etc. so we won't want to leave them unattended. What do we do in the Windjammer before our rooms are ready? Should one of us sit at a table with the bags while the other gets food...or should we both go through the food line carrying our bags and then get a table? Both are awkward. Which is the way to go? Thanks!

We do this each time we eat in the WJ not just embarkation day. We find a table and one of us waits at the table while the other gets food then when they return the other person goes and gets food. I bet this is what most people do.

What are the hours for the Windjammer the day of embarkation? With mobility issues, the whole thing makes me think I should bring a snack on board for lunch. Is this allowed?

The Windjammer will be open for lunch from the time the first passengers get on until probably 3:30. It's busy, but not that bad.

As for bringing on your own food, there are a lot of restrictions on what can be taken off in ports (including home port), but I'm not sure about the regulations for bringing things on.

Not only that, but it is fabulously inconsiderate to go in there before they are open. This is just a reflection of the self-centered, "the-rules-don't-apply-to-me" attitude that far too many people seem to possess these days.

How hard is it to handle a carry-on for a few hours? If it's that much of a burden, then maybe you're "carrying-on" too much! Better yet, don't show up to the port at 10am! Come at noon or even one and you'll walk right into the cabin.

My favorite is when people say "I was real quick in and out, it didn't interfere with anything!" Okay, great, so how about if everybody does that?

I totally agree with you!!!!

What are the hours for the Windjammer the day of embarkation? With mobility issues, the whole thing makes me think I should bring a snack on board for lunch. Is this allowed?

On the Navigator a week and a half ago the windjammer didn't open until 12. People were lined up waiting outside the doors for them to open.

On my other two cruises the windjammer was open right away when we boarded. (usually around 11:30) Not sure if the Navigator was just an exception or if that is how they are doing it now.

Please don't let this concern you. It will be crowded, but I can almost promise you it will only be like this on the first, and possibly the last day of your cruise (disembarkation, when everyone needs to be out of their cabin for 8 am - WJ gets crowded). With mobility issues, you will be taken care of; certainly a crew member could assist you.

The only snacks allowed on and off the ship are pre-packaged snacks like granola bars, individual small boxes of cereals, that type of thing. Your ship, Explorer of the Seas (fabulous, by the way!!) has the Café Promenade, which may be open later on the day (honestly, I forget) of embarkation. There are options if you decide not to use Windjammer for your first meal.

Have fun!! :)

Don't forget....embarkation day buffet in the WJ is the onlt time you can get HONEY STUNG CHICKEN!!

I can taste it already and we're still 80+ days out! :D

I have seen table hogs, sitting with books, crosswords or suduko with just a drink.....Yes please vacate your table so others can enjoy their lunch.

TOUCHE' and Fabulous response.....:D

IMPORTANT TO NOTE :

If a passenger is disabled and having to deal with mobility equipment as well as a carryon (as is my situation) the Ship's personnel usually will allow the passenger to drop off carryon's in the cabin first. In fact the Ship's personnel will often offer to take it to your cabin so you don't have manuver the hallways with all the carts and hall traffic on boarding day.

Don't forget....embarkation day buffet in the WJ is the onlt time you can get HONEY STUNG CHICKEN!!

I can taste it already and we're still 80+ days out! :D

I have seen table hogs, sitting with books, crosswords or suduko with just a drink.....Yes please vacate your table so others can enjoy their lunch.

An even better solution: grab your food and take it out of the Windjammer and enjoy a table outside. I've never been told I couldn't take my plate out of the WJ. When we're done, we bring it back to the WJ and hand it to the friendly "host" at the front of the line.

we will sit at a table and one of us will watch the bags while the other one recons and brings a plate of food back than the other will go

Usually its my GF that cant wait to eat since she doesnt like an early B-fast and I dont like missing mine

After were done we will walk around till it is cleared for us to go to our cabins

IMPORTANT TO NOTE :

If a passenger is disabled and having to deal with mobility equipment as well as a carryon (as is my situation) the Ship's personnel usually will allow the passenger to drop off carryon's in the cabin first. In fact the Ship's personnel will often offer to take it to your cabin so you don't have manuver the hallways with all the carts and hall traffic on boarding day.

Do you know if this is a new policy? I ask because a year ago October when we were on Mariner, my father boarded in a wheel chair and wanted to go to his cabin to get the scooter he rented. He was told he couldn't do it until after the cabins were opened and no one from the ship offered to take his carry on or do anything. We were able to take care of him and we never gave it a thought that someone would take his carry on to the cabin for him.

We are going on Freedom in April and once again my dad will board in a wheelchair, and need to get his scooter. We will again be able to wheel him around until he can get to the cabin, but your post is making me wonder if he will be able to get his scooter when we board.

Our solution is to eat before we board and board a little later than the crowds. If we don't have time for this, we will wait until after 2 pm to grab a bite in the WJ, it's far less crowded then. By then our carry ons are unpacked and stored in the cabin :)
Board Later ?? Avoid Crowds ?? Now, you're just talking CRAZY !!! :D :)

On our last cruise in October I didn't see anyone helping folks in wheelchairs by taking carryons to their cabins. I know some folks who travel in their wheelchairs and this has never happened that I know of.

It would be nice but I wouldn't count on it.

Archived