What British comfort would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?

kelly@

Guests sailing out of Southampton on the new Celebrity Eclipse this April will be delighted to find a few home comforts onboard -- if you consider mushy peas and steak and kidney pie to be home comforts, that is.

Celebrity has unveiled a host of Brit-friendly aspects to the new vessel, sister to Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox. Menus have been tweaked, entertainment tailored to British tastes and onboard lecturers and "enrichment" made more appropriate to a U.K. audience.

So, we want to know -- what British comforts would you like to see on your ex-U.K. cruise on a non-U.K. ship? Vote in our poll!

As an ex-pat Brit...

I can say that Steak & Kidney Pie, Bangers & Mash,mushy peas are food for a small minority of Brits.. These were filling foods that people consumed during days of rationing etc.. Mushy peas ~ a way of preparing dried peas that could be stored for a long time... Mushy Peas is now more of a 'Northern England thing' I don't have any friends that like them.. My M & D were both from 'Up North' and they would often prepare them especially for the Sunday Roast.. 4 siblings and non of us liked them..

I'm 48, most my age can't stand that kinda stuff so I guess they are trying to appeal to an older generation.. If they want to appeal to the 18 - 50 year old's put on a curry feast every day..

A 'British Indian restaurant style Curry' that is .. Many forums are full of ex-pats bemoaning the fact that they can't find a 'authentic' Brit curry house.. I would go along with that.. haven't found one yet in BC !!

As per the Daily Mail ..The # one dish in the UK by far that surpasses Fish and Chips is Curry !!

'Brit style' ( Breast meat) Chicken Tikka would be great for those still wanting to be careful of calories consumed.. ( here in Canada they often use leg or wing )

Marmite & Toast on the Breakfast menu !! :D :D Yummy .. for those that have never tasted it.. needs a warning and instructions to spread it on very very thin.. a whisp here and there on the toast ...

Tea and Coffee making tray fitted as standard in the cabins.

Room service is great but after a good walk ashore there is nothing like putting your feet up in your cabin and making a nice fresh cup of tea made the way you like it

Yes you are correct they are a Northern thing, but as people move we find more Southerners want them...Chip shops also do curry sauce and gravy. But no way do you have mushy peas on a Roast Dinner.....That is a no no..... Also peas are the best thing sold in a chip shop as the they make the most profit on them!!!!! :D

It's the peas that pay for the cruise for us.......

That said we don't want them on a cruise, but better chips rather than thin fries would be good......

Here's another vote for tea-making facilities in your cabin. I've cruised on Ventura and on Solstice and in general I'd say that the Solstice class are better ships than the Grand Princess class, but the addition of tea-making facilities in your cabin (as we had on Ventura) is a huge plus to the overall cruise experience. I know that we can get tea from the buffet on Solstice, or from room service, but it's not the same as being able to make it yourself, the way you like it.

Kelly now look what you have started !

Being an older generation and a genuine "Northener|" I can confirm also that we do not have mushy peas with a roast dinner in fact we dont have peas of any kind with our dinner.

I dont want curry, marmite or fish and chips (chip shop style) if you want these type of foods I suggest you are taking the wrong cruise line and suggest a holiday at "PONTINS" Holiday Camp".

English bacon, welsh lamb, Rare breed pork, Aberdeen Angus beef would be my suggestion Also some nice desserts. Proper short crust pastry made into a delicious apple pie, Bread & butter pudding ( English Style)not stodge, home made lemon meringue pie (not packet). I could go on forever.

We love cruising with Celebrity and find the food very good.:)

PG Tips - and not the garbage tea bags they have now. However, in a perfect world they would have loose first flush Assam!

I'll second Welsh lamb... but oh boy.. the food budget would skyrocket.

I've had Celebrity's curry before. It was dreadful.

A 'British Indian restaurant style Curry' that is .. Many forums are full of ex-pats bemoaning the fact that they can't find a 'authentic' Brit curry house.. I would go along with that.. haven't found one yet in BC !!

Marmite & Toast on the Breakfast menu !! :D :D Yummy .. for those that have never tasted it.. needs a warning and instructions to spread it on very very thin.. a whisp here and there on the toast ...

Goldeneye

Both these were available on Infinity in November because of the unusually high number [approx.200] of Brits onboard. Also available were English sausages at breakfast, in fact there was and "English Breakfast" station at the buffet alongside that for "American Breakfast".

However, my husband's vote is for proper English bacon.

I hope the balance is struck right, there are loads of British people who go away abroad and still want to eat fish and chips, pork chops, pies etc but also many others who want to experience local cuisine.

Re Mushy peas, I'm as Southern as they come and love mushy peas with fish & chips.

Why limit it to food though?

I say a roaring log fire in each cabin with sheep skin rug.

Or for that true British experience maybe hire in groups of chavs to hang around outside bars to hurl abuse at passers by :)

I'm really looking forward to my Eclipse cruise in July but fear British style entertainment could mean an appearance by Jim Davidson :eek:

Archived